E320 CDI (W211) vs CLS320 CDI (W219)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex225

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS63 AMG
Ok, so I have an E320 CDI with 108k on the clock. I use it as a day to day car and for picking up my daughter (130 miles each way).

I must admit, it's been fantastic this last 7 months and so been extremely reliable.

Now I also own a very low mileage CLS63 (W219) which is the best car I've ever owned. I love it and apart from the way it goes, I adore the way it looks. I still think the CLS is one of the best looking cars Mercedes have built and here lies my quandary.

Am I mental for rather fancying a CLS320 CDI to replace my E320 in the future to keep alongside my CLS63? The E Class is superb but the CLS320 is quicker (V6/220bhp?!) as comfy and as practical for me.

Anyone owned both diesels? :dk:

I know some will be thinking, 'Just use the 63' but I would like to keep this, it's a dream car and I think it deservers keeping mint and low mileage. Plus a cheaper/older/higher mileage car makes for a great day to day car that I won't be quite as prissy about.

I didn't realise that the CLS with the same 3.0 diesel engine was noticeably quicker than the E class.

I didn't realise that the CLS with the same 3.0 diesel engine was noticeably quicker than the E class.

Don't quote me on that as I'm assuming it is anyway. Would make some sense to use the same unit.

0-60 in the CLS is 7 seconds which is pretty respectable for a large car and a diesel. Certainly quick enough for day to day driving. In fact my E320 has plenty of torque to enjoy for daily driving.

I would keep the E Class, that extra space is handy at times.

Ok, so I have an E320 CDI with 108k on the clock. I use it as a day to day car and for picking up my daughter (130 miles each way).

I must admit, it's been fantastic this last 7 months and so been extremely reliable.

Now I also own a very low mileage CLS63 (W219) which is the best car I've ever owned. I love it and apart from the way it goes, I adore the way it looks. I still think the CLS is one of the best looking cars Mercedes have built and here lies my quandary.

Am I mental for rather fancying a CLS320 CDI to replace my E320 in the future to keep alongside my CLS63? The E Class is superb but the CLS320 is quicker (V6/220bhp?!) as comfy and as practical for me.

Anyone owned both diesels? :dk:

I know some will be thinking, 'Just use the 63' but I would like to keep this, it's a dream car and I think it deservers keeping mint and low mileage. Plus a cheaper/older/higher mileage car makes for a great day to day car that I won't be quite as prissy about.

Is the e a v6 or straight. ? Will be the same speed surly if both v6 as same engine and chassis

I'd keep the different cars. Having two CLS would lead me to comparing the two all the time. Apple's with apples, rather than apples and oranges . It could even make you end up driving the better version more and more, breaking your goal of keeping it mint and low mileage! A clue this might happen is that you are tempted to make your runabout more powerful (why? no need, it's good enough )

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I found when I had a "sunday car" and a daily clunker, the Sunday car would acquire little trivial faults, non-critical toys not working, rattles etc that weren't worth fixing because it didn't get driven much (and in the mean-time I'd forgotten about them, only to be reminded later).

What came out of this was the everyday car got fixed because it was impossible to live with minor faults everyday. Over the years, the Sunday car became a heap of massive irritations whilst the everyday car was much nicer to drive.

Despite the higher value of the Sunday car, I ended up resenting every penny I spent on it..

I resolved this by selling both and buying a better everyday car that got fixed immediately minor faults occurred. Consequently, it was always in a non-irritating condition, and a pleasure to drive.

Maybe it's time to get the CLS 63 out and use it everyday? Yes, the increased mileage would affect the resale value, but who believes suspiciously-low indicated mileages anyway? The resale value won't be massively different because it's just too easy to clock them.

Get out your Sunday car and enjoy yourself ALL the time, not just some of it!

I felt no noticeable power difference between the straight and v6 e320 and cls320.

Your only reason for change would be the shape itself. That I can understand. If you're spending a lot of time in it, get a cls as you obviously like them. If you don't care about that factor, there isn't much point at all.

My car has the inline 6 cylinder so from that to a CLS320 there would be a hike of 20bhp and 30lbs of torque. Not a huge and to be fair the output from my E Class is enough so performance isn't the key factor but hey it's nice to have right? :)

Thanks for all the responses though. I have also had this internal debate regarding weekend cars. To be honest, I can't bring myself to do it. My CLS63 is in such good condition and low mileages, I would be gutted if some moron pranged it in the car park or keyed it. I get my enjoyment from keeping it mint and enjoying it when I choose, plus the novelty never wears off. It never becomes 'normal' if that makes sense.

The space in a CLS would be more than adequate as you can fit three adults and a child in no problem, boot is plenty big enough really.

I guess I'm just doing that day dreaming thing of, 'What car would I have next' and the CLS320 just jumps out.

Seems to do everything my E Class does, little more performance, prettier etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom