E320 CDi - Year 2000

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fitman207

Car
E320 CDi
21/06/13

Hi All

I'm new to this forum and request your much respected help. I have problems with the auto-gearbox on my car E320 CDi - Year 2000. I have changed the gearbox oil and filter and accidentally overfilled it!

I took the car for a test drive and it was stuck in second gear!

I bought the tool from Merc to check the oil and then drained some off until it was within the correct level.

However, since then I have read your forums advice and spent many hours trying to solve the problem which is my merc is stuck in second gear and will only accelerate up to 40mph and a maximum of 3000rpm!

I have changed the battery for a new one as recommended, as the car was stood parked for long periods and the battery would not fully charge up.

Upon changing the battery I came across the usual problems of the BAS light coming on and I have followed your procedures for turning this light off by turning the steering wheel 'lock to left' and then 'lock to right' and then back to centre. This has worked and the BAS light has gone off and there are no malfunctions showing on the dash.

However, the car is still stuck in second gear and will not change up.

I have read the following threads about possible causes:

1) Gearbox oil on the electrical plug at the side front of the gearbox- can anyone tell me how to clean this off - procedure please?

2) Also mentioned was the fact that the gearbox ECU could have gearbox oil contaminating the terminals. Please could someone either direct me to a video on Utube about carrying out the cleanig of the ECU, or tell me where this thing is located on the car?

3) Somebody said it could be the gearbox speed sensor - it may need removing and a wipe clean. Can someone please tell me where this sensor is located exactly?

4) Also somebody mentioned that a wheel sensor could be causing the fault. How do I identify this sensor? I presume it is on the back of each wheel? How do I test if it is working please?

5) Is it better and less hassle for me to take it to an Indie and have them test it on a Star machine?

6) Does anybody recommend any good Indies around the Leeds, (West Yorkshire, England, Uk) area?

Sorry to have asked so many questions on my first visit to the forum!

I look forward to hearing from you!

Yours sincerely - fitman207

21/06/13

Hi All

I'm new to this forum and request your much respected help. I have problems with the auto-gearbox on my car E320 CDi - Year 2000. I have changed the gearbox oil and filter and accidentally overfilled it!

I took the car for a test drive and it was stuck in second gear!

I bought the tool from Merc to check the oil and then drained some off until it was within the correct level.

However, since then I have read your forums advice and spent many hours trying to solve the problem which is my merc is stuck in second gear and will only accelerate up to 40mph and a maximum of 3000rpm!

I have changed the battery for a new one as recommended, as the car was stood parked for long periods and the battery would not fully charge up.

Upon changing the battery I came across the usual problems of the BAS light coming on and I have followed your procedures for turning this light off by turning the steering wheel 'lock to left' and then 'lock to right' and then back to centre. This has worked and the BAS light has gone off and there are no malfunctions showing on the dash.

However, the car is still stuck in second gear and will not change up.

I have read the following threads about possible causes:

1) Gearbox oil on the electrical plug at the side front of the gearbox- can anyone tell me how to clean this off - procedure please?

2) Also mentioned was the fact that the gearbox ECU could have gearbox oil contaminating the terminals. Please could someone either direct me to a video on Utube about carrying out the cleanig of the ECU, or tell me where this thing is located on the car?

3) Somebody said it could be the gearbox speed sensor - it may need removing and a wipe clean. Can someone please tell me where this sensor is located exactly?

4) Also somebody mentioned that a wheel sensor could be causing the fault. How do I identify this sensor? I presume it is on the back of each wheel? How do I test if it is working please?

5) Is it better and less hassle for me to take it to an Indie and have them test it on a Star machine?

6) Does anybody recommend any good Indies around the Leeds, (West Yorkshire, England, Uk) area?

Sorry to have asked so many questions on my first visit to the forum!

I look forward to hearing from you!

Yours sincerely - fitman207

Did you ever solve the issues? if so, what part, elect or other did fix it, as my E320 CDI was also parked up for a long time, but having cleared my codes gave me back full control of the gearbox, but like yours was stuck in low.

Hi,just recently bought my 2nd merc s500 2000 been standing for over a year but starts and drives, but I to have a gearbox problem & no speedo & no central locking & no soft close can speedo be abs sensor on rear ? I have just spent £600 on track rods & ball joints etc . Looking forward to driving it on the road soon .

Had problems with ABS sensors on my ML but these did not affect gearbox just warning light for ABS/ ESP.
Could it be a poor battery?

Thanks for reply, you wouldn’t believe it my battery has been on charge all day and still is ! I have a lot to learn with this car.

If battery was really flat an intelligent charger like a CTEK will probably not get it charged up. If it was ok to start the car suspect it will still need about 18 hrs min depending on battery state at start.

Just checked it,was on 1 when I put it on 10 hours ago now on 3 out of 4 , Back to sensor was told it may be the pick up point for speed for suspension and gearbox?

After his post in June 2013, this member was last seen on the Forum in October 2014, so do not expect any reply !!

Yep, after I posted then saw the date. Fat Chance of any reply I guess.However his issue mine the same.

Thanks Toolman

Utube , just needed a reset , turn steering wheel full locks and centre and off with abs light.got issues with remote access, remote working but that’s it. And I have just bought a second hand stereo sat nav tape , will it need a code ?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom