E320 coupe with twin turbos

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hartey

Car
E320 w124 Hughes of Beaconsfield twin turbo charger fitted in house
Hi there ,just wondered if anyone knew anything about prooving the originality of this twin turbo from Hughes of Beaconsfield is there a register of them that is still available or any tell tale signs that it is ,any help would be really appreciated

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210218-152245.png
    Screenshot_20210218-152245.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 43
Could you phone them and ask if they have records of all cars converted?

Attachments

• 064A0D1A-C4D5-499A-A35C-2F1E7F9AF94F.png
    064A0D1A-C4D5-499A-A35C-2F1E7F9AF94F.png
    915.6 KB · Views: 7
As already suggested contact Hughes direct.

Back in the 80s it was them doing all the Mosselmann turbo kits for the the W124/C124 range.

Hughes back then also used to be auhorised Ford and Mazda dealerships all under the same roof on same site.

Good idea thankyou

Bear in mins that the Hughes group was bought out by Vertu a couple of years back. It's quite possible all that information was never transferred or has been tossed in a skip.

Bear in mins that the Hughes group was bought out by Vertu a couple of years back. It's quite possible all that information was never transferred or has been tossed in a skip.
Hi Doodle ,seems to be the case ! Someone must know something on here ,I did see a thread talking about the twin turbos ,Ortolan I think his name was on here ,do you know how to get hold of people on here ,I'm new to all this ! Anyway will keep plugging on ...

What is your aim in terms of proving the originality?

Both the Mosselmann setup and the Hughes kit (made by Turbo Technics) were somewhat crude. There's a fair chance that by now they'll have either been reworked, or simply aren't functioning properly. The concensus is that they really benefit from standalone management.

Last edited:
What is your aim in terms of proving the originality?

Both the Mosselmann setup and the Hughes kit (made by Turbo Technics) were somewhat crude. There's a fair chance that by now they'll have either been reworked, or simply aren't functioning properly. The concensus is that they really benefit from standalone management.
Hi Doodle ,just trying to find out if it is one of the originals, it works fine but does need tuning up ,I bought it off a guy that had it stored for the last ten years to hopefully fund a sculpture project ! I've realised that I shouldn't of gotten into things I don't know about! It's a lovely car but it's a bit of a beast and too much for me to deal with ,just looking to sell it to someone who would appreciate it ,the only other mercedes I have is a A210 which is excellent fun !

As far as I'm aware that one wasn't an original Hughes car, and from what I remember of it the omex ECU was running a base map only.

As far as I'm aware that one wasn't an original Hughes car, and from what I remember of it the omex ECU was running a base map only.

Do you have any more info on it ,did you own it or know the guy who did?

I did some work on it for the owner at the time (Mark), sorting out some of issues it had with the turbo conversion. The next step was to get the mapping done, but the dyno I use was out of action at the time. I planned to carry on with it at a later date but never got round to it.

I always thought it would of been better with a manual gearbox swap to.

Last edited:
I did some work on it for the owner at the time (Mark), sorting out some of issues it had with the turbo conversion. The next step was to get the mapping done, but the dyno I use was out of action at the time. I planned to carry on with it at a later date but never got round to it.
Ah have you got like a crazy name like turbo nutter and red hair? It would be good to talk to you ,Mark mentioned you did you have it a while ?

Ah have you got like a crazy name like turbo nutter and red hair? It would be good to talk to you ,Mark mentioned you did you have it a while ?

He said you were very good with turbos ,so did you install the kit?

He said you were very good with turbos ,so did you install the kit?

Thankfully no! Mark bought the car with the "kit" fitted, but it had been done badly. I gave him a few options on how to proceed with it and I sorted out the problems it had with the setup as it was, but never got the time to go further with it.

Thankfully no! Mark bought the car with the "kit" fitted, but it had been done badly. I gave him a few options on how to proceed with it and I sorted out the problems it had with the setup as it was, but never got the time to go further with it.
Good morning ,so do you think that the work that you did to it can be continued fairly easily to get it running properly ? Would it be ok to chat if I can give my number to you ,not sure they allow this as I haven't posted enough ,would really appreciate it if you could ,cheers David

It can, but I'm not taking on any more work till I clear those people who are waiting their turn. But I will gladly go through what it needs with you. You need 30 posts to PM me here, but you can reach me over here: Oops, there was an error! | Retro Rides though you may need to register.

Last edited:
It can, but I'm not taking on any more work till I clear those people who are waiting their turn. But I will gladly go through what it needs with you. You need 30 posts to PM me here, but you can reach me over here: Oops, there was an error! | Retro Rides though you may need to register.
That would be great ,so are you known as carat 3.6 on there?

Yes, I'm easy to find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom