E320 engine blown. Recommendations requested.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaula13

Car
Mercedes E320 Cabriolet Sportsline
Disaster has struck! Timing chain and/or chain tensioners have broken. Either way, the engine went "BANG" and died. The tappets no longer work, no compression to speak of and the hood is still down - so there is no doubt on the diasgnosis nor of my predicament. The questions are:

- what to do about it. Rebuild .v. reconditioned unit

- recommendations on a good supplier - cost .v. quality. The car is in Kent.

The car is a W124 cabriolet E320 Sportline and is my pride and joy. Even though it has done about 150k miles it is still a baby - well perhaps a teenager - but is worth keeping either way!

Clearly it needs urgent help and resuscitation - as does my wallet so please take care of both when replying. Any suggestions and recommendtions will be gratefully received.

I think i would get a second hand lump as at least you can fit it and be up and running asap, whereas stripping the old motor down could lead on a merry go around of chasing parts etc.
If you can diy may be worth pulling the head for a look see.
The fact it went bang in my eyes means terminal, cant be to hard to find a decent 104.

Lynall

Last edited:
Disaster has struck! Timing chain and/or chain tensioners have broken. Either way, the engine went "BANG" and died. The tappets no longer work, no compression to speak of and the hood is still down - so there is no doubt on the diasgnosis nor of my predicament. The questions are:

- what to do about it. Rebuild .v. reconditioned unit

- recommendations on a good supplier - cost .v. quality. The car is in Kent.

The car is a W124 cabriolet E320 Sportline and is my pride and joy. Even though it has done about 150k miles it is still a baby - well perhaps a teenager - but is worth keeping either way!

Clearly it needs urgent help and resuscitation - as does my wallet so please take care of both when replying. Any suggestions and recommendtions will be gratefully received.

Used engine is the way to go.

Thank you for the advice on a used engine - given MB reliability it is definitely an option - but from whence can one get a used engine with any sort of assurance that it will work and work well?

The obvious answer is a scrap dealer but how does one ensure that it is a good engine and not "from the frying pan to the fire"?

Suggestions please.

Thank you for the response - and its rapidity!

Stripping the motor down is, I believe, a recipe for a very VERY large bill. Perhaps my first original question should have been:

- Reconditioned .v. secondhand

Then followed by:

- Any recommendations on the supplier of either will be gratefully received but please remember that I live in Kent.

- How do I assure myself that the engine is going to be good and reliable - used or reconditioned but particularly the former since any reconditioned unit will come with a guarantee.

Many thanks indeed.

Thank you for the advice on a used engine - given MB reliability it is definitely an option - but from whence can one get a used engine with any sort of assurance that it will work and work well?

The obvious answer is a scrap dealer but how does one ensure that it is a good engine and not "from the frying pan to the fire"?

Suggestions please.

Buy a complete car.

There's loads of old 124s floating around.

A complete one will be a similar price to an engine.

- Reconditioned .v. secondhand

Generally reconditioned = secondhand.

Only they'll steamclean it, paint it and put it on a pallet and pretend it's been rebuilt.

Crewe engines and MB are proper rebuilders, but then to rebuild a M104 you'll be looking at big money.

You could try Rob Parker. I have bought a couple of items from him in the past, seem to be ok.

gaula13

Just wondered what went wrong in case it can help other forum members.

Had ANY work been done on the car recently.

If so, what had been done to it ?

If I was replacing the engine with a proper reconditioned/ second hand one the one system I would always overhall/check would be the cooling system. NEW radiator,water pump and thermostat. Water pump replacement easy with an engine out of the car-not so easy in the car. The other thing to look out for is a dodgy engine wiring loom. The insulation goes brittle with age. It can work away for years like this BUT any major disruption/movement say with a head gasket repair or engine replacement where there's lots of movement/bending of the loom can spell its demise! Handle with care unless you know its been replaced. A sportline cabriolet is one W124 worth spending money on IMHO.

Last edited:
I have to agree that it is worth spending money on - it is as rare as hen's teeth and truly beautiful IMHO.

that is probably why I have had the following work done on it recently - some planned but most enforced!

- brake pads
- radiator replaced
- wiring loom (engine "only")
- head gasket
- shocks all round
- tyres all round

At this rate it will soon be a new car!

I had not thought of a new water pump - but the original packed up after 70k miles or so - it is probably due for another incident soon. Thank you for the thought.

Buy a complete car.

There's loads of old 124s floating around.

A complete one will be a similar price to an engine.

I have to say here that a W124 Convertible in a good condition cost at least £8,000

The question is how much you love the car :eek:

I have to agree that it is worth spending money on - it is as rare as hen's teeth and truly beautiful IMHO.

that is probably why I have had the following work done on it recently - some planned but most enforced!

- brake pads
- radiator replaced
- wiring loom (engine "only")
- head gasket
- shocks all round
- tyres all round

At this rate it will soon be a new car!

I had not thought of a new water pump - but the original packed up after 70k miles or so - it is probably due for another incident soon. Thank you for the thought.

See my reply on the other forum urgently if you have not seen it.

I have to say here that a W124 Convertible in a good condition cost at least £8,000

The question is how much you love the car :eek:

I think Nick is trying to say that there are loads of w124's with 320 engines around ...

You don't have to buy another convertible , you could buy a e320 w124 saloon ( £1k ) and take the engine out of that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom