E320 Estate 2004 Comand Nav disc upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scoobe

Hi.
I have an up to date Disc for my Comand Navigation. Does anyone have any tips on how to install it please?
Its an NTG1 - A211 system and i believe the disc reader is in the boot, is it as simple as just changing the disc or is there anything to do on the head unit.
Thanks in advance.

Well no expert but all the NTG1 years are A211,just how old is the version you have in your car,the first version is 3 no idea what happened to 1 or 2,the later the version you have say 11 or later the less trouble you will have,but wait until somebody points the way before you put your new disc in.

Welcome Scooba.

If you send them your VIN by email, they will confirm that it's the correct CD for your car.

Alternatively, these CDs are sold on eBay from time to time, but eBay being eBay it's a bit of the old Wild West, with some genuine CDs going cheap and some fakes or copied CDs that could damage your unit - so unless you know what's what, eBay is based avoided.

Scoobe, you need to research/read on here about updating MB satnav - basic thing is use genuine MB DVD's not "aftermarket" copies - as some work, but some brick your satnav, and that's a very expensive mistake. Personally I know nothing about NTG1 as my cars are NTG2.5 and NTG4, but chances are if you get genuine MB DVD's you'll be safe, just a question of what version you currently have installed (and thus do you need an earlier version with a firmware update on it before you can install the latest maps, as I had with my NTG2.5 because MB North Wales had not installed the update they should have done FOC when servicing the car!). You may have to learn how to access the engineering menu to find what firmware, software and maps you currently have, but in the engineering menu be very careful NOT to change anything unless you are 150% sure of what you're doing, otherwise you will almost certainly regret what you've done!!

There are videos on utube to find the engineering menu, as with all the mercedes updates you have the engine running on my NTG3 system it took 40 mins to complete ,we had somebody on here ages ago who did update their NTG1 and as I remember the difference between that and my NTG3 was that after your disc has updated the system you switch off the engine and lock the car for a while,best of luck.

Zipdip you're lucky, updating my NTG4 takes 2 1/4 hours, and the NTG2.5 on the SLK was similar!

Before you do anything make sure your update is a genuine disc. Pirate discs are typically thicker than OE and cause the boot-mounted player to overheat. This may cause the disc to jam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom