E320 estate juddering problem at idle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jam38

Car
VW Sharan 1.9 TDI, Audi 80 1.6 TD - wish I still had a Benz!
Hi everyone,

Can I first take the opportunity to thank all you guys who are very, very clued up about Mercedes! I have spent a lot of time reading and researching on this forum before I went out and bought myself a Y-reg (2000) E320 estate (diesel).

I have only owned the car for two weeks and it is a very good car. The problem that I am having is that when the car is running idle (traffic lights etc), the car judders/shakes. I am based in Birmingham and after getting recommendations (from you guys) I have been to WDM Cars Ltd. I have used them before and they are quite good. The gentleman ran diagnostics and could not find the fault as to why the car was juddering. Although he did identify that one of the glow plugs did need replacing (I knew they had to be replaced because when I bought the car the light was on, but thankfully it is just the one).

WDM said it could be the injector, but he advised me to take the car for a proper run on the motorway (I drove 100 miles last night) and to see if this fixes the problem. It has not. WDM dismissed the torque convertor, because this is a problem with later models (2002 or 2004 onwards I think).

So what do you guys think? Will it be an expensive fix? Should I stop driving the car until the problem is solved? I will try to get to the garage today/tomorrow if they have any appointments, otherwise I will get it booked in for Monday.

Thanks in advance.

Just had exactly the same issue. It was an injector (£162 plus fitting) and it cured the problem completely. Smoother, much quieter, and marginally better fuel economy too.

Adam

Hi,

I had the very same problem with my C250 and had the engine mounts changed, amongst other things, the car much smoother and the judder is nearly completely gone at idle. One of mine was 1 1/2 inches lower than it should have been. The cost wasn't more than €300 including the labour

good luck

Marcus

Last edited:
Hi,

I had the very same problem with my C250 and had the engine mounts changed, amongst other things, the car much smoother and the judder is nearly completely gone at idle. One of mine was 1 1/2 inches lower than it should have been. The cost wasn't more than €300 including the labour

good luck

Marcus

What sort of mileage/age had your car done to wear out the engine mounts? I am assuming that as it is a huge lump it will wear out quicker than other cars?

Thank you for your replies. I did go to the garage today and surprise, surprise, the juddering stopped. I took the car out for a spin a couple of hours ago and the juddering is back! Oh well, the merc is booked in for Wednesday and he did say that it could be the injector. I will keep you guys posted.

Try a decent additive in the fuel and take for a run first.

The car was just over 155,000 miles, changing them really helped and the Indy I went to in Dublin was very helpful if any one wants a number

ok redex might do the job, but in my experiance the product from Wurth is excellent and has got many a diesel through the emissions test at the MOT for me.

ok redex might do the job, but in my experiance the product from Wurth is excellent and has got many a diesel through the emissions test at the MOT for me.

Where can I buy this product from and how much does it cost?

Just an update.

I took the car to WDM (Birmingham) and as always I received a first class service. They checked out the car and fitted the glow plug that was needed. One of the injectors was a bit bad, but I was advised that it does not need to be changed just yet and the cost would not be justified.

After using the redex, the juddering has almost completely gone. I have been told to use redex again with another full tank and to see what happens.

Thank you all for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom