E320 Estate Revisions History

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ramer

Car
1995, E320 Estate
I'm looking to get a replacement for my current '95, Petrol, E320 Avante Garde Estate, 135K (offers? :D), and I'm looking at something very similar just newer - probably around a 06-07 plate. I already know the appx spec I'm looking for(based on 280 or 320 prob), but I have a basic question....

Can anyone point me at a good post/page that explains the history of the various revisions of the E-Class 320 Estates from say 04-05 onwards? I want to familiarise myself with;

- When new versions were released (around and either side of 06-07)?
- What the changes were?
- Are there any good and bad revision versions?
- Are there any known problems/things to look out for, with the new versions?
- What are the W nomenclature all about and again how do they relate to the period I'm interested in.

I appreciate this is a large question, but I want to try and make my purchase based on knowledge rather than a shot in the dark.

Many thanks.

There are posts on this somewhere but here's what I've picked up.

The big revisions came in late 05 with the facelift. Minor cosmetics outside (new nose). Inside 7G box, new V6 diesels, new 500 petrol, new electrics (supposedly better quality).

There are apparently some anomalies out there like late 05 pre-facelift cars with the 7G box produced during the changeover.

If you are going for a diesel the facelift is the one to go for as the V6 diesels are said to represent a big improvement. If you can find a 500 you gain power and improved fuel economy. The 320 petrol engine became a 350 IIRC. W211 means saloon. S211 means estate.

In these various threads I got a lot of useful advice. If your miles are low the petrols make sense. I came nearer that I ever have done to buying a diseasel but I would have had to pay a premium to do so so ended up in a 500 which I love. IIRC a 350 power and torque are not far short of my (pre-facelift) 500.

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/general-discussion/85814-why-should-i-not-buy-211-320-petrol.html
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/general-discussion/85973-280-cdi-vs-320-cdi.html
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/general-discussion/86866-i-test-drove-s211-e280-loved.html
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/general-discussion/87600-89-000-mile-w211-looking-advice.html

Last edited:
The other 211 owners will be along shortly. But you can see a lot of their very useful input in the threads I started when I was searching in March/April this year.

Just bite the bullet and get the '55, you wouldn't regret it. There are plenty of ways to justify the extra fuel costs......

Thanks very much for the replies so far.

Gradually narrowing down the list to;

Diesel.
06 or 07.
320 or 280 (would a remapped 280 be as good as a 320?).
Looking for around 25-45K miles to be realistic.
Want a reasonable spec (current '95 320 Est is a good spec).
Wife wants heated seats (which drastically limits choice - do MB retrofit Heated Seats - how much?).
What price am I looking at?

Is it advisable to buy from non-dealers? I'm not able to my own maintenance beyond the most basic stuff.

Are there any known issue with the 7speed box/flaps; are there non-7 speed cars out there or is it non-optional.

Are there any known issues with this age/model of car/engines?

Many thanks again...

Thanks very much for the replies so far.

Gradually narrowing down the list to;

Diesel.
06 or 07.
320 or 280 (would a remapped 280 be as good as a 320?).

Other posters have sugested the extra cost (remap + insurance) makes this pointless - best go to the 320 in the first place

Want a reasonable spec (current '95 320 Est is a good spec).

Wait! There a thousand and thousands out there. I could have had a couple of 500's in funny colours with odd specs but ended up with all the bells and whistles for no extra

Wife wants heated seats (which drastically limits choice - do MB retrofit Heated Seats - how much?).

See above

Is it advisable to buy from non-dealers? I'm not able to my own maintenance beyond the most basic stuff.

Make sure you get a good warranty

Are there any known issue with the 7speed box/flaps; are there non-7 speed cars out there or is it non-optional.

They are all 7g. Make sure u change the fluid

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom