E320 headlamp lens.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigDoug

Car
E320
I recently acquired a 2005 E320 w211 which is generally in great condition.

However, the passenger side headlamp lenses look awfully dull, compared with those on the driver's side. It looks as if perhaps those on the driver's side have been fairly recently replaced. It has gas discharge lamps.

Is replacement expensive ?
Do I have to buy the lens, plus reflectors, as a unit ?
Is installation possible by a DiYer ?
Can the lenses be polished to make the gleaming again ?

Sounds like it is oxidised. I would suggest polishing it up as it's inexpensive and a cheap fix rather than replacing.
Use some wet and dry sand paper, go from a coarse grade to a fine grade... up to 3000 I would suggest. Use some detailing tape to protect your paint work. Once all the residue has been removed it'll be nice and smooth. You'll see a milky colour come off. Make sure you keep it well lubricated with water.
Once smoothed on the finest grade it'll look scuffed but feel baby soft. Then machine polish with any medium/heavy cut polish and buff with a microfibre. Attached pics of my car below.

I'd also suggest doing both headlamps to get a consistent finish.

Before...
a0dbf12e9f8d52d4e9f1a285af556b41.jpg

After 4 stages of sanding....
6cd80db16fe3cb8d1f00ffb553ccea78.jpg

Machine polished and buffed...
5b4fb3d9c6fbbea7150948dd774737e4.jpg

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Are you sure it's not the plastic lens cover that needs polishing?
I had to do mine on my E320 , 04, hard work but worthwhile result.
There are several kits available & demonstrations on "you tube".

I tried the 3M kit... it was decent but it wasn't as good as the just buying the sandpaper myself and polishing with a medium cut pad.

After cutting back with abrasives, they need re-lacquering, not polish, for any kind of longevity.
This is also an easy DIY task.

my drivers side is also as new , pass side yellowing , i used t cut and a buffer to remove a canny bit , but it didnt remove it all. hth.

Oh dear .......... all looks very difficult. I'll probably just have to leave it as is.

You can have it done for you for around £40 depending where you are based

When I used to live in London the chips away guy did it for £20.. however now I do it myself using the QUIXX kit which is so easy to use..

After cutting back with abrasives, they need re-lacquering, not polish, for any kind of longevity.
This is also an easy DIY task.

I am with this approach, it last so much longer compared to polishing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom