E320 M104 speedometer, electronic or mechanical?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hismajestics

Car
250 CE -72 M104 3,2L
Tried w/search, no luck... It's a 5 speed manual.

VIN number: WDB1240921F261514
Engine: 104992 10 001861
Transmission: 717450 06 335607

Thanks.

//johannes

That's a getrag box in there, so it has a mechanical speedo drive.

That's a getrag box in there, so it has a mechanical speedo drive.
Thank you "carat 3.6 amg". Good news!

I was just wondering if it really is a genuine Getrag? From what i've understood factory fitted 5 sp. manuals were ZF's. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

//johannes

I'm not sure who made the "standard" gearboxes for mercedes, but the manual m104 engined cars used the getrag 717.450. I'll take a look at one of the normal 5 speeds later for you, see if there is a clue who made it.

Simon.

Thanks Simon. Waiting for your post.

//johannes

I don't know why you need this info, but there is an electronic speed pulse generator on your speedo as well.

Thanks Simon. Waiting for your post.

//johannes

I've had a look at 2 normal gearboxes that I have here, both have no builders names cast into them, but the getrags do have "GETRAG" cast into the housing.

I dont think they are made by zf, all the zf boxes that I have played with have their badge cast into them.

I don't know why you need this info, but there is an electronic speed pulse generator on your speedo as well.
Sorry V12 me being a bit unclear.

I am about to swap E320 M104 engine, the 5sp manual and ASD to my W114 250 CE from -72.

//johannes

Sorry V12 me being a bit unclear.

I am about to swap E320 M104 engine, the 5sp manual and ASD to my W114 250 CE from -72.

//johannes

You must post up some pictures of that, should make for a very fun car to drive.:thumb:

I've had a look at 2 normal gearboxes that I have here, both have no builders names cast into them, but the getrags do have "GETRAG" cast into the housing.

I dont think they are made by zf, all the zf boxes that I have played with have their badge cast into them.
This is my understanding also. If it is a Getrag, you can read it on the gearbox. However, no idea on ZF's...?

Btw, the ones you have, they are with 1st gear down left? (maybe a stupid Q :eek:)

/johannes

This is my understanding also. If it is a Getrag, you can read it on the gearbox. However, no idea on ZF's...?

Btw, the ones you have, they are with 1st gear down left? (maybe a stupid Q :eek:)

/johannes

Not a stupid question,the getrag is also refered to as a "dogleg box" by some people due to the shift pattern.

The getrag box has a pattern like this:
R 2 4
1 3 5

The normal manual boxes have this pattern:
R 1 3 5
--2 4

Most zf gearboxes have the zf badge cast into the gearbox casing, but I'm sure the mercedes gearboxes are not made by zf.

Last edited:
I will, I will. I'm about to give the potential donor car a final check on Wednesday.

Keep you posted on whatever happens :)

/johannes

Take it for a good long run with plenty of hard gear changes, the 717.450 gearbox is used with a daulmass flywheel, which over time can get a little "sloppy". When you change gear, see if you get a feeling of slack in the drivetrain.

Not a stupid question,the getrag is also refered to as a "dogleg box" by some people due to the shift pattern.

The getrag box has a pattern like this: R 2 4
1 3 5

The normal manual boxes have this pattern: R 1 3 5
2 4

Most zf gearboxes have the zf badge cast into the gearbox casing, but I'm sure the mercedes gearboxes are not made by zf.
Thanks for the info.

I may be missing smthng with the pattern since i'm thinking LHD. Ie. with the steering wheel on left side of the car, 1st gear is towards the drivers leg and down.

In this potential donor car the pattern is like in a Getrag.

//johannes

Take it for a good long run with plenty of hard gear changes, the 717.450 gearbox is used with a daulmass flywheel, which over time can get a little "sloppy". When you change gear, see if you get a feeling of slack in the drivetrain.
Thanks again. How should i notice the slack? Gearshift lever..?

//johannes

Thanks for the info.

I may be missing smthng with the pattern since i'm thinking LHD. Ie. with the steering wheel on left side of the car, 1st gear is towards the drivers leg and down.

In this potential donor car the pattern is like in a Getrag.

//johannes

Thanks again. How should i notice the slack? Gearshift lever..?

//johannes

My post didnt come out quite how I had typed it,:eek: I have altered it now. This is a getrag gear lever:

6191529535_4c392b0ac7_z.jpg

The slack that I mention when changing gear, can be best described as letting the clutch up too fast when pulling away. It feels like that sort of jolt, or snatching feeling.

Last edited:
My post didnt come out quite how I had typed it,:eek: I have altered it now. This is a getrag gear lever:

6191529535_4c392b0ac7_z.jpg

The slack that I mention when changing gear, can be best described as letting the clutch up too fast when pulling away. It feels like that sort of jolt, or snatching feeling.
Yes, the car i did test drive yesterday has this lever.

I decided to buy it. It's a E320 -93 w/ASD.

(To continue this discussion with the planned swap, I feel I need to change the title in order to give members proper information. How do I do it? By just changing the title? Or should I move this thread to some other place?)

Thanks for your advice.

The E28 5-Series had two manual gearboxes, one dogleg and one with a standard pattern, AFAIK they were both Getrags. So the shift pattern isn't necessarily a guide to manufacturer

IIRC the Getrag on the BMW Big Six had a removable bellhousing which makes it useful, particularly for auto-to-manual conversions, as the bellhousing could be modified or fabricated to suit. The Getrag dogleg box for the 2002 had a fixed bellhousing - yet another version

I imagine the Mercedes version would have a fixed bellhousing cast to MB spec by Getrag so it could be offered as an option

Nick Froome

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom