e320 starts then stops

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ricardo62

Car
e320
hi I don't think I will get a answer , but if anyone has a idea as to why just recently my e320 diesel is starting in the morning then just cutting out ie the engine dies , if I leave it for 5 mins it cranks over trys to fire but wont , eventually it will start , a bit lumpy but settle down , then fine all day , but it is good I have a good battery , , it has fuel in tank not less than half full , I did have the fuel filter changed last yr , on another note does this car have a pre fuel filter like my old c250 , a mesh that I could take out and clean .
The filter that was changed was the canister 1 , also im using morrisons fuel ?supermkt

Check all the plastic fuel pipes and around the high pressure pump for leaks...letting air in.

Check all the plastic fuel pipes and around the high pressure pump for leaks...letting air in.
you think that could be the problem ? if it is then would it run fine all day like its doing , it is not turned off for 5 hours a day , my job is courier wrk and I leve it running while I do deliverys , rather than swithing it off and on 100s of times a day

They are only difficult to start when cold...they are fine when warm.

it starts 1st time frm cold but just dies after around 3 to 5 mins then is reluctant to start I have 2 keep cranking it then leaving for a few mins then try again , so far on the last few occasions its started , but it doesn't give you much confidence in the cars reliability , the reason I dnt keep turning it off is that I would be starting it hundreds of times a day and eventually I guess doing that will wreck the starter motor , I figure its better to just keep it running till ive finished doing my deliverys .

...so long as no one jumps in and drives it away!
my area I deliver to is very quiet and posh big houses with large driveways I park on , so im only feet away at any given time , plus I doubt the starter motor is designed to be used around 500 times a week , I doubt it wld put up with that kind of abuse , just very odd that once it starts its fine all day , I did recently put injector cleaner in a tank of fuel ,coincidence ?

MB Star session needed really.

Last one I had like that it was the Y/74 valve on the fuel rail.

MB Star session needed really.

Last one I had like that it was the Y/74 valve on the fuel rail.

ok but I really cant afford a star session if I take it to my indy he has a snap on reader and only charges me a tenner , wld that reader be good enough? and out of curiousity what does the valve do that you described
just had a read up about the valve and seems it cld be that , but why do they have 2 fit all these complicated valves and electronic gizmos to cars , what was wrng with the simple old diesels back in the 70s when so long as you changed filters and oil they would run 4 ever why do manufacturers have to fix what isn't broken and make things less reliable and complicated!

Last edited:
I remember the old ford Granada diesels and they didn't have all these complicated valves and stuff fitted and they worked fine

I remember the old ford Granada diesels and they didn't have all these complicated valves and stuff fitted and they worked fine

I remember them and they didn't work fine at all and didn't run for ever.

Head gaskets, bottom ends, excessive fuel consumption, smoking, noise,
the 2.5Di good riddance.

:)

Last edited:
ok but I really cant afford a star session if I take it to my indy he has a snap on reader and only charges me a tenner , wld that reader be good enough? and out of curiousity what does the valve do that you described
just had a read up about the valve and seems it cld be that , but why do they have 2 fit all these complicated valves and electronic gizmos to cars , what was wrng with the simple old diesels back in the 70s when so long as you changed filters and oil they would run 4 ever why do manufacturers have to fix what isn't broken and make things less reliable and complicated!

How can you compare your almost 200bhp torque machine to anything available in the 70s?

How can you compare your almost 200bhp torque machine to anything available in the 70s?
I think I get you , but do you not think that the earlier less complicated diesel is more reliable ? so long as its given regular oil and filter changes compared with a modern diesel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom