E320 - three sets of front springs in 100k?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mikemoss

Car
E320 estate
Just been told by good old MB Bath that one of my front springs has broken. This is the third time in 100,000 miles (on 1998 E320 petrol estate) so either I, or they, or Mercedes seem to be doing something wrong.

Does this sound normal to anyone? And is there a better alternative spring I could try this time?

All this on top of the somewhat eye-watering £780 for the 100,000 mile service!

Common issue it seems on most newish cars including MB.

Regarding the second point though, maybe consider using an independent for servicing at 13 years old and 100k miles - you'd save hundreds and probably get equal or better service :)

Will

Last edited:
My Spring on a S211 was £150 fitted.

Have to agree with above your service would be half that and an indy, will hardly make any difference on your car now if its FMBSH or FSH people will look at condition and other factors.

Your looking at a £1000 service I guess? with the spring?

£1000 plus indeed if I have them change the springs - methinks that's now a job for the chap round the corner. I'm starting to realise that a B service is likely to cost more than the car is worth! Plan is to keep up the maintenance as well as I can until something really serious/expensive decides to go wrong.

Just been told by good old MB Bath that one of my front springs has broken. This is the third time in 100,000 miles (on 1998 E320 petrol estate) so either I, or they, or Mercedes seem to be doing something wrong.

Does this sound normal to anyone? And is there a better alternative spring I could try this time?

All this on top of the somewhat eye-watering £780 for the 100,000 mile service!

You could try H and R or Eibach----- their springs are manufactured to a HIGHER STANDARD they are usually uprated tho.
You could also get the garage to fit sacrificial anodes to the bottom of the standard spring where it sits in the wishbone. There is some doubt whether they do any good tho but worth a try?:dk:

part no A1243210036 = spacer £2 +vat each.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom