E320CDi 2004 Gearbox issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Timmy M

Car
W211 E320 CDI **********e
Hi My trusty E320 with now 155k on the clock seems to have an annoying issue in that it sometimes hesitates when slowing down and then moving off. it also seems to hold gears a bit longer (1st and second) and waivers between 1st and second, although heavy acceleration seems to be perfect with only light throttle inducing this issue??

Hope Not!!

Hi Timmy.
I had this issue. Had to replace the rad etc and an ATF change. It's awesome now though.

Did you have to replace the gearbox?? and what was the issue in the end?

The transmission will not need replacing. The drivetrain components will not be affected. A torque converter rebuild will be sensible.
On the box side a strip down and reseal with possibly some new clutch linings should be enough.
I will say that it may not have got that bad yet. Sometimes if it's caught early the fluid can be flushed out and renewed

Same car, same problem, I had this last year on my E320 CDi 2004, Valeo radiator, had the torque convertor reconditioned, didn't change the radiator but had the gearbox section drained and blanked off and an oil cooler fitted instead its bolted to the sill in front off the radiator so there is no way it can happen again.

Same car, same problem, I had this last year on my E320 CDi 2004, Valeo radiator, had the torque convertor reconditioned, didn't change the radiator but had the gearbox section drained and blanked off and an oil cooler fitted instead its bolted to the sill in front off the radiator so there is no way it can happen again.
Thanks where did you get it done and how much?? ps thanks everyone for the messages

I live in the midlands and had it done locally, by two different companies the oil cooler first so I wouldn't get the Valio problem then a few weeks later found I was to late, on a light pedal it was like driving over cobble stones, had it checked on a star, it showed the gearbox was ok, no fault codes so had the torque convertor reconditioned.

Oil cooler fitted £300
Torque convertor £640
All plus vat

Ok looking to get something done in next 2 weeks will update you all

Well it is a worn valve body (£550 +vat) and a new oil cooler. all been done at Home next week

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom