E320CDI 60,000mile stripdown test

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Otherwise, the Mercedes has been one of the strongest-ever performers in our stripdown test. If any car can persuade used buyers not to be wary of technology, it’s the E-Class.

At last MB have got their act together.

Is "stripdown test" just a figure of speech?

They surely didn't actually go to such a remarkable amount of trouble for not very much result.

Last edited:
Hmm. Underbonnet shot is of an LHD model!

Must have taken ages to set up for that photo shoot.

The MB ad (tall and thin) on the left of that page - zooms in on a floating MB front star - is awful. :rolleyes:

german car mags rock , they even have topless girls to vote on :)

I like these long term test strip downs but several things come to mind after a quick perusal of the article .
No mention of the age of the car-its got a straight 6 diesel engine so I guess its several years old-the result is you can't match the report with a particular incarnation of the model. :confused: What type of mileage did it do-long motorway miles-or errands round town/school runs etc-- this can markedly affect certain components particularly transmission for example. Not one mention of body/paintwork condition which as we all know was a problem at one time? :eek: I was intrigued by picture 6 of 7 in the article- what was that?? :crazy: One thing that emerged was the problem with battery failure- but rather than going on to discuss a fundamental design failing on modern cars of the inadequacy of the legacy 12v systems to drive the increasing burden of onboard electronics we get the hugely insightful comment that its a good idea to change the V belt every 30k miles??:( No mention of the horrendous cost of replacing a dodgy command screen either- this on a totally unstressed bit of electronics which should really outlast the car.:eek: Do you expect your television to pack in after 3 years? I contrast this to another Auto Express strip down article on the Fiat Panda I read recently which was more critical and mentioned wear on the various engine components and failure of rear shock absorbers for example. No mention of any wear in the mercedes engine--fine if there wasn't any then why not mention it?? :cool: No mention of the condition of the dreaded EGR valve for example? As I said before I like these strip down articles but in this case it was a superficial piece of journalism IMHO. :mad: Maybe they couldn't find anyone to translate the really technical bits of the original German report??;)

Last edited:
german car mags rock , they even have topless girls to vote on :)
Looking at the latest online edition of the magazine the Germans obviously appreciate "heavy engineering" in their women as well as their cars.;) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom