e320cdi engine tapping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GSI-jim

Car
w211 E320 cdi
2002 w211 e320cdi straight 6. When driving with the windows down i can hear my engine tapping & its worrying me. I havent had the car long & its had quite a few things go wrong & now i hear this tapping it makes me want to get rid.
cant really hear it at idle or with the windows up. Sounds almost like a small end tap. Has anyone else had this?

Are you sure it's not an injector chuffing? Never heard a 613 lump with bottom end noise :confused:

No its not an injector chuffing. Ive done 1 injector seal a few weeks ago, no others are chuffing. Only does it under load aswell.

Well it sounds like a fuelling issue on 1 cylinder or damage from a partially broken inlet flap. I have never seen a 613 lump with a knocking bottom end!!!!
Any chance for a tech to put a scope on it or does it just happen under load???

It doesnt have inlet flaps. Its only under load when you can hear it. Its definately not a knocking, its a tapping/ticking. Im a mechanic so can get it on ramps etc & can do things myself but wanted to know if anyone has heard it on one of these. Not sure if it will do it on a ramp with traction control off & drive it.

What do you mean it doesn't have flaps? Have they been deleted?

No havent been deleted. Im sure it didnt have them. Do they all have them or do some early ones not?

Really? Have you heard them make that noise before?

No i havent, i use my mobile on here & not sure how to do it.
its a ticking under load, can hear it with windows down. Can hear it slightly on idle but cant tell where from

Had a weird ticking on mine turned out to be the pulley on the auxiliary belt. Sounded like it was internal on the engine .

I know the sound you are referring to. Some do suffer with it. It's quite normal and not anything to worry about.

There is a Merc document on it, there is no cure.

^^^^good to hear & not so good as the noise is so annoying & doesnt sound like a merc should.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom