E320CDi Estate 211 2003 Good Buy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimmy

MB Enthusiast
Car
Discovery 3 TDV6, Discovery 300TDi - Plaything!
Hello every one, I'm back!! :D

I have had my C250TD for coming up for 3 years, the longest I have ever kept a car. For the past 6 months or so I have been seriously looking at a replacement, not because I don't like it but because I am concious of it's age (I know it's a bit snobby!!)

I told myself I will not buy another Merc, time for a change. But I have tried all sorts, Audi's, BMW's, Volkswagens and I very nearly ended up with a 2002 Range Rover DHSE parked in my garage 2 weeks ago. I really liked it but there are some reliability issues and running costs to consider, the main disadvantage was the image that goes with them. :eek: So I reluctantly walked away. Anyway I have a Land Rover that I am rebuilding as a plaything so I can get my fix of driving around quarries and always fixing it with that old one.

Anyway, I have been offered a 2003 E320CDi Avantgarde 211 Estate at a price I cannot refuse. (Even though it is a silvery sort of colour!! but hey, I think I can live with that) I have shook hands and said I will have it, should be picking it up once the vendor gets his new one delivered in the next 3 weeks or so.

But before I hand over my hard earned cash, I would like to know if any owners here can advise on anything I should know about reliabilty, corrosion etc.

It has only done 14K miles and is in very good condition as you would expect. It has everything on it, keyless go, command, DVD, TV, Leather, optional sports wheels, in fact I don't think any box was left un-ticked when it was ordered.

Considering I am a tight ..... when it comes to spending money, this is a big spend for me and I aim to keep it for quite some time 5-7 years at least. I know I shall have to grit my teeth, pull down my trousers and bend over at least once year at my local MB dealer to get it serviced to keep the 30 year warranty up, but I can live with that.

So is there anything I should know about on this model?

Cheers.

Sounds very very nice indeed ... what are you worried about ?

Probably a few recalls to check, but not aware of anything major ... I'm sure Brian / Glojo can tell you !

Would have loved one of these when I changed last time, but were far too 'exbenzive' at the time.

S.

sym said:
Sounds very very nice indeed ... what are you worried about ?

I seem to think I read or heard that there were problems with injectors or noisy engines or something, and electrical glitches and possibly corrosion problems. (Anybody want a rusty C-Class?) Perhaps Dieseman could comment on the W211 corrosion?

Nice to see you back jimmy, where've you been?

To the car.

There have been some issues with corrosion so make sure you rustproof the car when you get it
We have had a couple of members that have had claims but on visible external metal opposed to seams and internal metal.

The front wings, bonnet and boot on salons (not sure about tailgates) are aluminium so dont rust like steel but treat those parts all the same.

The door top design has been changed so there isn't an inverted channel to paint so no unpainted area there.

There have been a number of recalls and service advisories to the SBC system, which is now deleted from new models.
Have your local dealer check all advisories have been done, if not have them done ASAP.
There have been quite a few issues electrically so check the service advisories.

Late 2004 cars on are now galvanised and anything before that would put me off due to experience, however if the price is right and you go through the car from end to end and it's Ok, then rustproof it you should be Ok.
You've had one rusty MB so know how dissapointing it feels, but also know what to look for.

As far as mechanicals with the engine the leaking injectors is an issue, but readily sorted if you can wield a spanner.

By the way, your reaming shouldn't be as bad as you think as the car only needs to go to an MB workshop every 2 years to qualify for Mobilo-life. I bet that makes you feel better already. ;)

Welcome back! The car will be a quantum leap forward on our old W202s. You'll love it!
Keep us posted on developments and we all look forward to the photos!

R2D2 said:
Welcome back! The car will be a quantum leap forward on our old W202s. You'll love it!
Keep us posted on developments and we all look forward to the photos!

Lol , youve seen the light too r2 :) lol

If I'm totally honest about it, and not wanting to offend anyone, when I test drove an early w203 I was underwealmed at the quality and the design. When I test drove the new one at New Year I was amazed at the improvement, not just over my beloved W202 but also the earlier model w203s. I liked it so much I bought one!

The w202 is still a very solid car, with admirable build quality, great handling, still has some presence and I still like them. In fact I 'd rather have a W202 than most other makes of new car as they are so reliable....I did do 135,000 miles in my two w202s without a single breakdown or "would not start" moment. But I love the ride and design of the new w203 to bits, it looks a million dollars!

Last edited:
Well the front half aint going to rot: Bonnet & front wings are aluminium. Mine is of similar vintage and not hint of rust anywhere

Main thing to things to check is fuel leaks. Use your nose but the cause is really trivial, cheap spring clips on the fuel lines and easily fixed. Make sure all the recalls have been dealt especially the main SBS one but with but at 14k miles it is barely run in.

Otherwise do not think you have got a lot to worry about. If it is a 2003 estate I imagine it is on a 54 plate so will be in warranty. So make sure you that any worries get sorted ASAP.

I thought the bonnet and front wings etc were plastic not aluminium? Either way they certainly won't rust.

Other than the risk of an electronic failure at some point I wouldn't have thought you had anything to worry about Jimmy.

Welcome back Jimmy, I see that sense has prevailed. I hope your new aqusition is everything you want and that it is trouble free.

Just had my E320 CDi W211 (saloon) serviced, the fuel economy obtained last journey - 44mpg up from previous 38mpg - so you should have no worries with economy Jimmy!

Satch said:
If it is a 2003 estate I imagine it is on a 54 plate so will be in warranty. So make sure you that any worries get sorted ASAP.

54 plates run from September 2004 to February 2005. If it is a 2003 estate it could be on a 52, 03 or 53 plate. If it's on the former, the warranty could be just about to run out and it could be due it's first MOT. As has been said earlier, make sure all the recalls have been done then go over it with a fine toothcomb to make sure you get any warranty claims registered.

Apart from that, the W211 320CDI is a great car.

Sounds good Jimmy. A nice loaded car. Apart from Glojo talking of software updates etc, I've not heard a complaint about an E320CDI. Will be great when you get it chipped. You ARE going to arn't you?I'll take that as a yes even if you reply no!

I NEED to see some pics of a similar one, something with the right wheels please!

Well done. You just need a neatly installed Origin B2 and it will be the dogs.

Graham

DieselE said:
54 plates run from September 2004 to February 2005. If it is a 2003 estate it could be on a 52, 03 or 53 plate. If it's on the former, the warranty could be just about to run out and it could be due it's first MOT. As has been said earlier, make sure all the recalls have been done then go over it with a fine toothcomb to make sure you get any warranty claims registered.

Apart from that, the W211 320CDI is a great car.

Fat fingers: yes, I meant a 53 plate. Mine is on a 53 plate and was one of the first batches of W211 Estates sold in the UK, mid September 2003. So I would think it is still in warranty, which bodes well.

I plan to get the MoT done a month+ early just in case.........

Thanks for the advice.

It's currently on a private plate, but I think it will be given an 03 plate as it was first registered in June 2003 (I think).

Not sure exactly what the alloys are, they are genuine MB and look really good, I think they are 17's but they look bigger.

No, I have no intention of chipping this one or doing anything else, no need to, and if I want to tinker or do any mods then I have the Land Rover for that now. The idea of the B2 or something similar is a good idea, I currently rely on my TomTom for speed scamera warnings, that will be going into the Golf now.

Not too worried about the economy but good to know it should do 40 ish mpg.

Mine has just passed it's 3rd birthday and is now going better than ever at 55k. I've had issues with diesel leaks and I've had the high pressure diesel pump at the front of the block changed twice, one was leaking and one was drawing air in. I've also had " rust " issues on the roof, turns out it's not rust cos the side of the roof where the rust is is alluminium, it's just crappy paint bubbling which Merceded say isn't covered by any warranty, yeah right :mad:

Unfortunately things have gone downhill at my dealers in the past couple of years and anyone worth a toss has left so I'm seriously considering BMW or Audi next just because of my local dealers attitude towards their customers and not the product they sell.

The trouble is I was going to get rid of it around now but it really is going so well and drives beautifully so I just cant let it go :D

jimmy said:
Not sure exactly what the alloys are, they are genuine MB and look really good, I think they are 17's but they look bigger.

I would hazard a guess at 17" five twin-spoke wheels. They are wider than the usual (optional) 17" five spoke avantgarde alloys but still use 245/45 tyres. An option which had to be ordered with sports suspension, the suspension on avantgardes already being lower than Classics or Elegances.

Well I have gone and done it, done the deal and will be picking it up as soon as DVLA issue a new reg number for it, it has a private plate and that is being transferred to a new E class estate with the 7 speed gear box, I think he said it was an E300CDi but was more powerful than the outgoing E320CDi?? All a bit confusing.

Found out that it was registered in August 2003 so still got some warranty left. I was amazed that the insurance is only £35 more than my current car, I have phoned them twice to check and there is no mistake.

So essentially the car is ready but I cannot insure it until I get a new number, the dealer selling the replacement new car said this can sometimes take 3-4 weeks???? Surely it can be done quicker than this.

Mine is on ebay, finishes Monday night, not too many bids but 127 people watching!!!!! I am hoping there will be a last minute bidding frenzy, I dont really want to sell it to a skanking trader!!!

Last edited:
jimmy said:
127 people watching!!!!!

Make that 128 !

Good luck with the Sale - I had the same problem when I bought my Merc, re: Reg plate - took about 2 weeks in the end for the one on mine to be transferred to a new one, and then my own transferred on ... they lent me a courtesy car while I was waiting, fortunately, as had cancelled the insurance on my previous car and just wanted them to take it off my hands !

S.

Granted I traded mine in but the number was transferred in two days?? V5s followed after about a week.

It sounds great Jimmy! Looking forward to the photos:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom