E320CDi Estate Tyre Choice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimmy

MB Enthusiast
Car
Discovery 3 TDV6, Discovery 300TDi - Plaything!
I know it's been discussed a thousand times before on here, but has anybody any experience of different tyre types on a S211 E320CDi Estate (2003) with airmatic if that makes a difference.

The car just had it's 1st MOT today, no worries apart from advisories on all 4 tyres, the rears are down to about 2mm, the fronts look fine to me although he said they were very worn on the edges, common to RWD?

The tyres are Continental Contisport 245/45 17's, the tyre are the originals and the car has done just under 20K miles, is that good, bad or average? I thought they might last longer than that.

I have to admit I have had no problems with the tyres, they are smooth, quiet and seem to grip well in most conditions, never been on snow or ice but expect they would not be too good as the tread seems to have a radial pattern going around the tyre with no sideways grooves if you get what I mean.

Would not consider budget tyres so I guess the premium brands would all be a similar price.

I have always liked the Vredestein's in the past but also like the Bridgestone's. I do not like F1's and would not consider them at all. Maybe I should stick with Conti if they are good enough for OE fit.

Anybody have any experiences?

normal wear on a medium performance RWD saloon car is front shoulders and rear centres, just like yours! ;)

I have little other tyre advice to give however.

The rears have worn evenly, totaly flat (although they are now on the front but spent more time on the rear!)

20,000 seems quite good for a powerful heavy car. I dnt think I've ever got to 20k yet!

I know its a personal thing but I will be replacing my conti's with Dunlop Sports when the time comes. The last set were grippy, quiet and wore well. IMHO.

R2D2 said:
20,000 seems quite good for a powerful heavy car. I dnt think I've ever got to 20k yet!

I have BF Goodrich All Terrains on the Discovery, they are reputed to last 60-80K miles, some say they have done over 100K on a set.:eek: I very much doubt I will get to see another 50K from it in my ownership.

If you like the characteristics of the current tyres then it might be as well to replace with the same. Getting it wrong can be very annoying and you're stuck until they wear out.
If you want longer life then allegedly the new HP version of Michelin Primacy is supposed to last 25% longer than the standard (already long lived) version. I've just fitted 2 to the rear of my C270 estate and they're quieter and better riding then the Bridgestone Turanza's that were on from new.
Costco is a good place to buy Michelin if you have membership, but some of the independants can match them.

I've just stuck a set of Primacy HP on the old panzer. They have replaced the fairly well worn Primacy that were on before.
The old ones are still well more than legal even after 30k and a rather punishing day at Bruntingthorpe and are still on the old wheels.

For me it will be Michelin everytime as they last so much longer with no apparent trade off. Had Pirelli P6000 on originally,(Yes I know don't laugh!)
and they just disappeared.

My E320CDI saloon is on the 16" wheels and came with Continental Premium Contacts (225/55) as new. I replaced the rears at 21000 miles (3mm) with Michelin Primacy HP. The fronts still have around 5 mm but worn shoulders.

The Michelins are certainly quieter. With only 1400 miles under their belt in summer it's not possible to say if the grip is any better.

Dieselman said:
I've just stuck a set of Primacy HP on the old panzer. They have replaced the fairly well worn Primacy that were on before.
The old ones are still well more than legal even after 30k and a rather punishing day at Bruntingthorpe and are still on the old wheels.

For me it will be Michelin everytime as they last so much longer with no apparent trade off. Had Pirelli P6000 on originally,(Yes I know don't laugh!)
and they just disappeared.
Definitely second this. Currently have Dunlops on the front because they were on special and a lot cheaper, but I can see that they are only going to last half as long if that.

-simon

DieselE said:
My E320CDI saloon is on the 16" wheels and came with Continental Premium Contacts (225/55) as new. I replaced the rears at 21000 miles (3mm) with Michelin Primacy HP. The fronts still have around 5 mm but worn shoulders.

The Michelins are certainly quieter. With only 1400 miles under their belt in summer it's not possible to say if the grip is any better.
I am at present holding a Board of Enquiry into my wife's driving habits. She drives like an over zealous hearse driver and NEVER exceeds a speed limit yet our rear tyres are down to 2mm of tread with just 13800 miles under their belt. Do I blame the over fed dog?

Reading this thread it looks like I will try Michelin's unless anyone else has different ideas?

Regards,
John

glojo said:
I am at present holding a Board of Enquiry into my wife's driving habits. She drives like an over zealous hearse driver and NEVER exceeds a speed limit yet our rear tyres are down to 2mm of tread with just 13800 miles under their belt. Do I blame the over fed dog?

Reading this thread it looks like I will try Michelin's unless anyone else has different ideas?

Regards,
John

Sounds like she needs to slow down a bit.:rolleyes:

Dieselman said:
Sounds like she needs to slow down a bit.:rolleyes:
:) Been giving this some thought and I wonderif itis just the opposite? The car is mainly used for town driving and very rarely gets to stretch its legs.

You have just reminded me to chase up a pair of tyres :eek:

John

glojo said:

Regards,
John

You'll have to revoke her racing licence in the traffic lights grand prix. It's the full throttle off the line that kills the tyres not exceeding the speed limit. :D

DieselE said:
You'll have to revoke her racing licence in the traffic lights grand prix. It's the full throttle off the line that kills the tyres not exceeding the speed limit. :D
:D :D I've even had complaints from the local undertakers about my wife's slow driving!! (joke) It simply is NOT in her make-up to drive fast, and the pooch in the back would soon complain if he was splattered against the rear window if she dared to accelerate hard. I'm baffled and skint having just ordered two Michelin's :eek: :eek: I also think the fronts will soon need replacing.

John

Lol - I'd say 20k on the rears in a RWD car with that amount of torque is good going... I normally get about 10k from the fronts on my prev cars (non Merc - FWD) Have to say, on my ML I have American Cooper Discoverers - 275/55/17 I drive it HARD and it is chipped to just over 200bhp and 420nm, but after 11000 miles, all tyres are perfectly evenly worn and have 6mm tread remaining....

I always use Costco (Discoverers were fitted by supplying dealer) But TBH, at around £100 a tyre, mat well be fitting them again, when (eventually) I wear them out - PS I found www.etyres.co.uk and www.blackcircles.com to be very good, Etyres come and fit outside your house or work, included in the price!

Etyres £146.90 all in fitted for the Conti's BTW

HTH

Mike

Last edited:
I had Michelin Pilots on a Vauxhall Omega 2.5V6 estate several years ago. They were on the car when I bought it with 32k on the clock.

When I sold it a couple of years later it had 60-odd K on the clock and still had around 5-6mm of tread on each tyre!

I'll be using Michelins when I eventually need to replace the Kumhos on my Merc

W211 Tyres

I'm runing a E211 220CDI auto, I have Primacy all round, got 27k on rears and 35k on fronts, buy at Costco in Reading at only £77 each.

As a note, Costco quite often have offers on a full set of Michelins, usually 20 or 25% off their already low prices..

Mike

I think the mileage is pretty difficult to compare between drivers since so much of the wear on a tyre is associated with braking and accelerating. (I wonder how many miles the tyres did in that endurance marathon undertaken by the new E Class before they were replaced).

Even so, John: less than 14,000 is mind-bogglingly bad!!

This weekend, Honest John (in the Daily Telegraph) has unequivocally recommended the Michelin Pilot Primacy for quietness, longevity and grip.

I have always been happy on Dunlop SP Sports - they are grippy but quite noisy. However, I am going to give the Primacy a whirl next time.

Philip

prprandall51 said:
Even so, John: less than 14,000 is mind-bogglingly bad!!

This weekend, Honest John (in the Daily Telegraph) has unequivocally recommended the Michelin Pilot Primacy for quietness, longevity and grip.
Hi Philip, I am suitably mind boggled. I would not be so mind boggled if the tyres had feathered at the edges, but the wear is completely uniform, clearly my wife had not been lying the car over going round bends. I keep prattling on about this mileage because just like you have eloquently said, "It is mind boggling" It adds to my mind boggliness :) :) to see the way Scumbag sedately drives his hairdresser mobile :D :D. Even he is getting better mileage. It makes me think that if the tyres get hot they either grow more rubber, or perhaps go hard!!! (Now I am talking rubbish)

I note the price at Costco but are the tyres the same size?

The local tyre retailer has just phoned to say the two tyres have arrived, so tomorrow morning my bank account is going to get mugged! ;) I have a suspicion that when it goes in, I will be told the back ones need replacing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom