E320cdi wont start ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SteveGmilne

Car
2000 e320cdi
Hi folks my first post on here as looking for help/advice.

Just bought a 2000 e320cdi avantgarde 228k
Full service history
Bought it as a running project as it needs some welding although still has 6mnth mot and it drove great for the fist 4 days of owning it then i parked it outside the house when back a while later to move it and it wont start just cranks over wont fire up.

Previous to this on the way home i put my foot flat down to overtake and it accelerated as it should then there was a slight loss in power and i think EDC flashed up on dash took my foot off accelerator then it was fine again then i parked it up went to move it and hasn't started since just turns over.

Ive checked all fuses and had a look for anything obvious but all seems fine.

I was thinking cps might be gome but unsure yet.

Anyone point me in right direction.

I answered already on 'other side', blaming air in fuel lines of injector leak.. but one question; is the car now parked uphill?

Thanks for reply.

The car is now parked with the rear end slightly downhill.

So it is worse for starting... check those air bubbles (or of course you could read a live data about rail pressure)

uphill only helps a bit, see is there air bubbles in clear lines. Dash is not showing any useful fault info, and your universal reader may not pick all/correct codes either. But thats better than nothing. Plus if you get some live data.

Dont have access to a diagnostic tool at the minute. I do have a code reader but waiting on an adapter cable coming to see if any faults come up although nothing showing on dash.

The dash generally shows only emissions-related faults (EML), or safety-related faults (SRS warning, brakes warning, etc). The majority of faults are not flagged-up on the dash and can only be seen with an MB-Specific scanner.

Don’t want to sound silly but with those mls is heating plugs working ok as that engine would need heated and you could let off injector pipe here and there to check fuel is getting through.

Hi folks my first post on here as looking for help/advice.

Just bought a 2000 e320cdi avantgarde 228k
Full service history
Bought it as a running project as it needs some welding although still has 6mnth mot and it drove great for the fist 4 days of owning it then i parked it outside the house when back a while later to move it and it wont start just cranks over wont fire up.

Previous to this on the way home i put my foot flat down to overtake and it accelerated as it should then there was a slight loss in power and i think EDC flashed up on dash took my foot off accelerator then it was fine again then i parked it up went to move it and hasn't started since just turns over.

Ive checked all fuses and had a look for anything obvious but all seems fine.

I was thinking cps might be gome but unsure yet.

Anyone point me in right direction.
The crankshaft position sensor on my 2002 e320 cdi estate went in February this year. Drove into a petrol station filled up and then it would not re-start. It had done this once before but eventually restarted that first time. CPS change fixed it.

If you are going to change the CPS just a word of warning the access on the straight six om613 is very limited so maybe consider getting a garage to do the job unless you or an assistant have very small hands.

A diesel leak should be pretty obvious (sniff test). Just see if your aux belt is covered in diesel as the pump sits right above the aux belt at the front of the engine.

Best of luck. W/s210's are great cars imho (biased).

This lump starts even not a single glow plug working. It is either fuel pressure problem or cam/crank sensor...

And diesel leak is hard to find because low pressure lines are sucking air in, not letting (easily) fuel out.

Thanks all info helps im slowly going to get to the bottom of this. I think i, ll try cam/crank sensors as there not to expensive and at least i, ll have peace of mind theyve been replaced if its not those parts.

Will try for some fault codes first when i get a hold of an adapter cable.

The crankshaft position sensor on my 2002 e320 cdi estate went in February this year. Drove into a petrol station filled up and then it would not re-start. It had done this once before but eventually restarted that first time. CPS change fixed it.

If you are going to change the CPS just a word of warning the access on the straight six om613 is very limited so maybe consider getting a garage to do the job unless you or an assistant have very small hands.

A diesel leak should be pretty obvious (sniff test). Just see if your aux belt is covered in diesel as the pump sits right above the aux belt at the front of the engine.

Best of luck. W/s210's are great cars imho (biased).
Thanks i think i might give that a try as exact same symptoms car was driving fine went back to move it not started since. So worth a gamble as the part isnt expensive i know guessing isnt the best way to repair it but occasionally you get lucky and at least i, ll have peace of mind that part is new.

My old s210 had an erratic start problem, would start drive but when stopped wouldn't start unless at least 30 min wait and got progressively worse, which was cured by new crank sensor. And as you said pretty cheap to buy.

Glow plug relay module ? if it’s never been changed before , it’s a consumable part anyway .
But as above a diagnostics check is the way to go first .

Thanks i think i might give that a try as exact same symptoms car was driving fine went back to move it not started since. So worth a gamble as the part isnt expensive i know guessing isnt the best way to repair it but occasionally you get lucky and at least i, ll have peace of mind that part is new.
My CPS was stuck fast so had to be broken into pieces to remove. Getting some good penetrating fluid like plusgas on it well in advance of this job may help.

I also replied on t'other side. Check condition of the clear pipes, they go hard and brittle and then let air in. Also HP pump O rings can fail, these commonly bring up EPC (electronic power control I think).

Regarding diagnostics, remember that this doesn't have an 16 pin OBDII port and so you need someone who has a 38 pin round diagnostic cable.

I also replied on t'other side. Check condition of the clear pipes, they go hard and brittle and then let air in. Also HP pump O rings can fail, these commonly bring up EPC (electronic power control I think).

Regarding diagnostics, remember that this doesn't have an 16 pin OBDII port and so you need someone who has a 38 pin round diagnostic cable.
Thanks yes ive ordered a adapter cable for my obd2 code reader see if it brings uo any codes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom