E330TD Valve Seals - help appreciated

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SimonLA

Car
1999 E300 Turbodiesel
E300TD Valve Seals - help appreciated

Hi All

I've got a problem and any help or advice appreciated. My E300TD (1999 65Kmiles) has started occasionally producing blue smoke and I've had to top up the oil - though only a litre in the 14k between services.

If I am motorway cruising or driving sensibly then it doesn't smoke..BUT if I give it some hammer overtaking on the A roads and then have to stop at lights etc...I get a cloud of blue smoke (and it is deffinately burning oil smoke), after about 10-15 econds the smoke disapears and it's back to normal.

I have had no loss of power and fuels consumption is excellent.

My local MB Main Dealer tells me the valve seals have probaly gone and - sharp intake of breath - it's going to be a big job. (aren't they always)

So I guess my questions are:-

1. Any other suggestions rather than valve seals ?
2. Anyone know an independent in Cheshire
3. How long should it take (£90 per hour is ruinous)
4. Am I going to damage anything else if I leave it for a while ?

thanks for any advice....

Last edited:
blue smoke

you should be getting blue smoke all the time then, get someone to drive the car and follow behind have the person put the car engine under load to see what comes from the exhaust..and when it emits blue smoke ...1 lit of oil after 14 k is very good mine used 1 lit after 8k so don't worry about that the turbo will spin some off , you may be over fueling and have some oil on the exhaust. try not to jump to worst conclusion just be sure your seeing blue smoke and not a mixture of condensation and slight over fuelling...and get a second and even third opinion from a Indy, MB will tell you anything to part you from your money......

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Mark, I going to sit on it for a while and try to get another opinion from another dealer before I do anything.

Reading all the threads on here about oil consumption it seems that my occasional litre may not be connected to the smoke and it may be overfuelling. I drove it 190 fast A road miles yesterday - no smoke. Then in to work this morning (50 miles) and no smoke....was just beginning to feel that it may have been my imagination(delusion) when I had to do a fast 100 yards up hill to beat a lorry into the car park followed by a 20 yard reverse - clouds of smelly blue grey for over a minute - dammitt.

Somethings definately wrong, been over the engine and exhaust as much as I can - no leaks, clean as a whistle.

I had it serviced only last week and the dealer tells me he checked the injectors etc......I'm just waiting for him to send me a quote for the valve seals (hohohohoh)

BTW any suggestions for a reasonable dealer/independant in Manchester ?,

I would add a rubber sweller (like Forte seal conditioner) to the oil to condition the valve stem oil seals.

The symptoms you describe are more likely to be turbo seals or injectors.

Pop the inlet hose off the turbo and check for radial and axial play. There should almost none.

As for injectors, don't just get them overhauled yet. How did the dealer check them? On a CDi you can check by computer but on the VP37 type pumped diesel, the only way is to remove them and do a pressure check. First try the Redline fuel additive. This was made for MB USA. It seems to revive varnished injectors. It's called Redline 85+. Probably easiest to get from Demon Tweeks.

Regards,

Job

jgevers said:
I would add a rubber sweller (like Forte seal conditioner) to the oil to condition the valve stem oil seals.

The symptoms you describe are more likely to be turbo seals or injectors.

Pop the inlet hose off the turbo and check for radial and axial play. There should almost none.

As for injectors, don't just get them overhauled yet. How did the dealer check them? On a CDi you can check by computer but on the VP37 type pumped diesel, the only way is to remove them and do a pressure check. First try the Redline fuel additive. This was made for MB USA. It seems to revive varnished injectors. It's called Redline 85+. Probably easiest to get from Demon Tweeks.

Regards,

Job

I agree this could be turbo seals or a dribbling injector but I wouldn't add a seal sweller additive to any engine. They can cause seals to leak for evermore and because it's in the oil it gets everywhere.

Dieselman said:
I agree this could be turbo seals or a dribbling injector but I wouldn't add a seal sweller additive to any engine. They can cause seals to leak for evermore and because it's in the oil it gets everywhere.

Hi Dieselman,

I have used these products a few times and have had quite good results. Most oils (especially long life) have a fair bit of this chemical (can't remember which, old age seems to bring senilety in my case) in them anyway. All you do is add a bit more.

But you are right, it is not a miracle cure. If the problem is hardened valve stem seals, it will cure it only for a while. It will come back. I have not seen good seals (valve, crank or other) go bad with these products.

So, my opinion is, try this oil additive, if the problem goes away for a while, you know your garage was right. If it doesn't, probably turbo or injectors.

Just another thought, if you are running a 'tuning box', the engine might be overfuelling (will produce smoke as well) which can result in excessive exhaust gas teperatures. Turbos don't last long with high egt......

regards,

Job

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom