E350 black exhaust smoke on hard acceleration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ermm....well...need to be a little careful here...

Lets just say that when I give it the boot at 'motorway speed' that is when I notice it. If I keep my foot down it fades off. And it definitely appears to be black, not blue.
Which could be it abating - or merely getting lost in the slipstream. That it's visible at all at M-way speeds implies there's quite a bit of smoke.

I ve seen it happen many times with other vehicles....you may have too. In some cases, they leave black sooty marks on the road. Ever seen that? I wonder what the cause for that is?

Mine isnt as bad as that though...nowhere near. Not quite as bad as a 747 taking off...

I shall attempt to investigate the DPF and its condition. And keep my eye on the soot levels. Might even have a go at cleaning out the EGR, just for a laugh...

As I mentioned earlier, although I dont have any documentation to verify it, I am quite sure that this car has been 'fiddled' with in a previous life.

Prior to this one, I had a C350 estate. That was quick, but this thing flies. All 2 and a quarter tons of it. Im sure it isnt as it came out of the factory..

So perhaps I was thinking....based on what I know and also what I have read on this forum...

........If someone had remapped the injection and removed/disembowelled the DPF, that would do it, wouldnt it.....

A non DPF diesel will emit black smoke if it is booted after being run at low revs for a while. It helps to clear the engine out to do this once in a while. But it should not happen in a car with a DPF, so there is something not right.

I ve seen it happen many times with other vehicles....you may have too. In some cases, they leave black sooty marks on the road. Ever seen that? I wonder what the cause for that is?

Mine isnt as bad as that though...nowhere near. Not quite as bad as a 747 taking off...

I shall attempt to investigate the DPF and its condition. And keep my eye on the soot levels. Might even have a go at cleaning out the EGR, just for a laugh...

As I mentioned earlier, although I dont have any documentation to verify it, I am quite sure that this car has been 'fiddled' with in a previous life.

Prior to this one, I had a C350 estate. That was quick, but this thing flies. All 2 and a quarter tons of it. Im sure it isnt as it came out of the factory..

So perhaps I was thinking....based on what I know and also what I have read on this forum...

........If someone had remapped the injection and removed/disembowelled the DPF, that would do it, wouldnt it.....
And yes - that would do it.
It is the most likely explanation in my opinion.
And it will fail the MOT if the tester spots it.

Remaps that whack fuel in to spool up the turbo before it's boosting and/or deleted swirl flaps.
Yep, I'd guess so.

When i had my C320cdi Sport estate i always used Two Stroke in a ratio with the diesel and hardly any smoke at all even under harsh acceleration.

Two Stroke ups the cetane number and has a more cleaner superior burn.

Motor was remapped and the bhp was used most of the time. Used until i sold the car after around 4yrs with no detrimental effects to anything.

Attachments

• C320 cdi Diesel.jpg
    C320 cdi Diesel.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 2
Well from getting very few replies you have been swamped,reading between the lines of what you have posted did you just buy the car,do you think it might have been a town/city car with lots of short runs ,if so there is nothing worse for bunging up a diesel,earlier on Markjay said get some Redx,and for the £2 or so thats good advice,run the fuel down to a third of a tank and put the whole bottle of redx in,do this somewhere quiet and just rev the car and drive around ,you should get loads of black smoke but it will clear then fill up with diesel,you also got the advise about getting a can of synthetic two stroke oil,save the redx bottle and fill it up with the two stroke and add that to a full tank of diesel,for a while,as for remaps and if things have been removed from your cars systems I have no input.

Thank you all for the vast amount of information here.

Couple of things though. PCR? Whats that then?

And as for putting two-stroke oil in the tank.....well. Never heard of that before. Always a first time I guess.....

Car recently had a dose of 'diesel' treatment just prior to the last MOT, about three weeks ago. No mention was made of any emission problems at the MOT.

Ive had the car about 18 months now.

Next step will be to check out this pesky DPF. This weekend I hope. First job is to find it. Car has two silencers so presumably it will be in the exhaust system before it splits into two. Then I'll look for the tell tale signs mentioned above.

Thank you all for the vast amount of information here.

Couple of things though. PCR? Whats that then?

And as for putting two-stroke oil in the tank.....well. Never heard of that before. Always a first time I guess.....

Car recently had a dose of 'diesel' treatment just prior to the last MOT, about three weeks ago. No mention was made of any emission problems at the MOT.

Ive had the car about 18 months now.

Next step will be to check out this pesky DPF. This weekend I hope. First job is to find it. Car has two silencers so presumably it will be in the exhaust system before it splits into two. Then I'll look for the tell tale signs mentioned above.
Sorry. I should have said 'pcv valve' not ''PCR'. Is it something to do with buses? (Sorry. Silly little joke there...couldnt resist it...)

And somebody mentioned....swirl flaps...ermm....what might those be then..? And as for having your swirl flaps deleted...ooer missus.....
......you stay away from my swirl flaps please...

You seem like a lovely chap, but if you have to ask these questions, perhaps it’s best to let a professional handle it? Sorry if that seems rude, but how will you even know what you’re looking for/at?

Mmmm.

I must apologise because you seem to have mistaken my comments at the end of post 30 to be an indication of ignorance, when actually they were intended to be a brief moment of levity. Sorry about that..

If you are a member of the group you describe as 'professionals' perhaps you should concentrate on offering assistance based on your experience as a professional, rather than trying to knock folk back because you perceive them to have less experience or knowledge than yourself.

I did not really regard your last post to be rude, but it was less than helpful and completely unnecessary.

If you go back through this thread, I think you’ll find that I’ve been MORE than helpful, actually.

My point is 100% fair: that if you don’t know what an EGR, DPF, swirl flaps and so on are, where they are on your car, what they look like, and so on, do you really think you’re the guy for the job of diagnosing if they’re functioning correctly?

Anyway, good luck, and you’re welcome.

Yes. I read all of the previous comments you made and some of that advice was useful. And very welcome. That is why I initiated this post in the first place because I was seeking advice. Isnt that what the forum is for?

But as for telling someone that you dont think they are capable....well. You based that statement on a (slightly humourous) comment made by myself, but you really have no idea of their expertise. Or of their engineering experience. I can assure you that I have enough of that with regard to motor vehicles. Maybe some 40 years or so...

However, an expert in this field I may not be. But surely that is the reason why I ask questions on a forum like this. Isnt it?

I dont think I ever said that I dont know what a DPF is (diesel particulate filter) or an EGR (exhaust gas recirculation valve). Because I do actually know.

But you still havent told me what a swirl flap is.....

Although I do have an idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom