E350 Boot Randomly Opening

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cell

Car
E350 Estate Sport
I've had my E350 Sport Estate (W212) since the start of year. Three times now I've woken up in the morning to find my boot open. My keys are hung on a peg every night and can't understand how the button could have been pressed by accident, it is quite a purposeful action with the press and hold.

Two part question. Can you disable the boot key opening if the car is still locked, and anyone else had this problem?

Luckily it's not been raining either time and I never leave anything in my car, but it's a bit unnerving to say the least.

The below may apply to your lock too.
No ideas for the cause of the fault.

Dec

keyhole2.jpg

Last edited:
The below may apply to your lock too.
No ideas for the cause of the fault.

Dec

keyhole2.jpg

Slight problem with that idea. The W212's don't have a key for the boot, or a keyhole to lock it with lol

Oh dear, that’s a big problem, someone may know, nothing in the user manual?

Dec

Oh dear, that’s a big problem, someone may know, nothing in the user manual?

Dec

Not that I have seen no. I know some other makes of car they have a button somewhere to disable it.

Slight problem with that idea. The W212's don't have a key for the boot, or a keyhole to lock it with lol
Look upwards, under the trim above the rear number plate.

Did you check all wires and lines? Maybe it has to be regulated and thats it?

I did check them and nothing looks wrong, split or otherwise.

Look upwards, under the trim above the rear number plate.

Definitely no lock, besides there's no key to go it lol

I may have a run down to MB in town see if they suggest anything.

I have done this a few times.

I have got something out of the boot, pressed the button to shut the boot, locked the car and walked away.
the boot then hits something (strap of laptop bag) which prevents it from shutting and then it bounces back open.
Meanwhile, you've walked away presuming it is closed?

I now stay by the car until it is shut and the lights flash.

could it be this?

Definitely no lock, besides there's no key to go it lol
OK, the blade key is part of the regular MB key fob - just the same as every other recent MB car.

I know this photo is of my saloon, but from memory the estate is similar:

9D59B05E-E893-427A-AF3E-BE408C255385_zps2rixi8p9.jpg

Are you sure there's no key slot on your tailgate?

(apologies for the finger in the top left of the shot - it's peeing down outside!)

Just went outside in the drizzle and looked at the boot of our E estate, there's no lock like that on it^

Maybe it's a saloon thing as if there's no fold down seats it's not possible to access a locked boot from the cabin?

Is there an option on the W212's 'computer' to disable that function, perhaps under a 'convenience' setting?

Any chance of an outside signal being responsible, has it only happened in the one location?

Thanks for the replies peeps.

Just did the same and went out in the rain to go have a look for the keyhole, before I read Red's post lol. Yeah no keyhole.

Tony, Yes only one location, on my drive. I was thinking along the lines of maybe a stray signal. Was 100% sure the boot was closed as my wife had walked past it at least four times, mind you I do say she walks round with blinkers on. Checked the computer and no setting.

Never got time to pop down the MB, will try today.

Does it have the kick opening facility? Animals not siding upto the hot exhausts when parked?

I have the factory boot liner that is too long in mine, and unless it is pushed right back, it upsets the tailgate.

I have the factory boot liner that is too long in mine, and unless it is pushed right back, it upsets the tailgate.

We have one of those too, it's about an inch too long unless it's rammed right into the back seat.

Does it have the kick opening facility? Animals not siding upto the hot exhausts when parked?

No kick thing or boot liner. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom