E350 Cab Aircap Will not Retract

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maxi10

Car
E350 CDI Cab
Hi all after treating myself tp 2010 E350 cabriolet in February, I am disappionted to find that the aircap has now stuck in the open position. It attempts to retract when stating the car or switching off but always returns to open position :failanyone experienced this? I have been quoted £800 for replacement unit:eek:

Cheers

Hi. I am having precisely the same problem with my E350, 2010 model. The air Cap retract and immediately comes back up. However, left over night, at some random time, it just goes down. This is pretty annoying. I did show this to a merc dealer and one of the engineers said to me either there is something obstructing the air cap or some hinge is really tight. this doesn't explain why it does go down by itself at some point.
If any of you guys make any progress on this, please post.

Any updates on this issue, I've just bought an W207 and would appreciate if theres any potential problem area to look at.

I have just bought a 2010 E350 cabriolet - took it out yesterday with the roof down to try the aircap etc. and likewise, noticed that the button didn't light up when pressed and the aircap didn't budge. The backseat headrests and the deflector screen worked though! Have seen on other websites that this has become a common fault on the cabriolets and that Merc dealers are happy to repair this fault for a ridiculous amount. Bit pointless of Merc to come out with these innovative ideas if within a couple of years the frigging thing stops working don't you think ??:mad:

Hi did anyone ever get a solution to this as I have the same problem. 2010 E Class cabriolet, the aircap starts retracting but when it gets 2/3 of the way down, it starts going up again and remains open.
Anyone have a solution or any ideas?

Thanks

Are problems with aircap common?
I am looking to buy an E350 Cab. At present the aircap won't operate and the dealer has to sort this out before I complete the purchase.
Is it just a software issue or is there something mechanical at fault?

I have now been told that something has failed and that parts need to be ordered for repairs by main dealer.
I have also found out that a friend experienced a similar problem with the Aircap on his car and it cost him £1,200 to get it sorted.

Another update.
After further testing, and some prompting, main dealer has now found out that the mechanism was not at fault and that the problem lay with the software.
They replaced the software and now the Aircap work perfectly.

i have the same problem got a e250 cgi convertible air cap comes down but then goes back up again. Cars been in to Gemtech in Romford done diognostics no fault showing seems to me this is a common fault and shoul have been recalled by Mercedes. Will be going back in to garage to hopefully fix the problem. Have to say John at Gemtech gave his time without charging me because ho couldnt fix it a nice bloke.
would like to here from anyone else who has the same problem

Mine needed a software update / reboot to be undertaken by main dealer to sort out.....apparently £90 cost (I was not paying). I gather faulty software is a common issue.

Mine needed a software update / reboot to be undertaken by main dealer to sort out.....apparently £90 cost (I was not paying). I gather faulty software is a common issue.

Do you know which software they updated which version etc?- which dealer was it? I can imagine my local dealer not knowing what I am talking about, thanks.

When I went last year (and yes it does go down in the middle of the night) they suggested WD40

Last edited:
It would have been a main dealer in Bristol. I did not get involved in the details as I was buying the car and it had to be sorted before I parted with the money.
However I understand it was software specific to the air cap / hood.
The Bristol dealer seemed to know about the problem.

hi this seems to be a major fault with the air cap system would this be covered under a warranty.

If you have a current warranty then I guess it would be. I would certainly expect it to be covered.

hi, did you get this sorted? My E250 has same problem. Watford MB want £120 just to do a code error check, which by the sounds of things wont pinpoint the problem. Id be happy for it to be disabled in the down position, as Im not willing to part with £1200 plus that some are suggesting and dont generally use it anyway?

Since having it fixed (software issue) I have not used it much. I find that I'd does not seem to make much difference up or down!

I'm experiencing the same thing. Brooklands took a look (FOC) but couldn't resolve it. I explained others have said it is software related and they plugged in their computer but said software is up to date. I've removed all bugs/leaves etc, used WD40 and checked to make sure nothing could be tricking the unit into thinking a finger is about to be trapped all to no avail.

I do a lot of motorway miles and have the roof down all the time its not raining and found the aircap to be pretty effective but now won't use it if I can't get it back down again. Would love to get this sorted without breaking the bank...

Sorry a late update I got mine fixed - software update, but it was the mother of all jobs to get MB Northampton to do it f.o.c. Got in touch with MB UK in the end. I can't believe that software updates are not applied routinely at servicing - especially under a service plan. Not the first black mark for MB Northampton - failed to own up to and diagnose and fix a problem with the aircon, which was due to a leaky low pressure valve - easily sorted by Bee Cool Kettering btw - recommended

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom