E350 Cabrio buying advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chazr

Car
C200
Hi all
I’m looking to buy a C350 Cabrio and wondered if anyone Can offer any advice on whether this is a good move.
what’s good about them, what’s bad. What to look out for etc.
looking at 2010-2014 model years is there a year that should be avoided, later ones seem better on economy & tax but are there downsides to that?
also I notice that some are 231bhp and others 261bhp is there a downside to the higher power one?
I'm told that the EU6 should be avoided in favour of the EU5 engine, but what model year had which engine
Should I avoid the 9 gtronic gearbox as its so new, what about the change to the gear selector on the column with the handbrake button, is that a good thing or should it be avoided ?
Any help greatly appreciated

Hi , I notice that you live in Kent.Do you use your car in London.

I feel I all down to eminisions but the latest diesel if the are used on short trips can be problematic.

Petrols are better but all the engine controls as cars age know one knows how reliable they will be.

This is not a Mercedes issue but a motor trade problem n general.

Sorry should have mentioned, I never drive in London and do quite a lot of longish journeys most of the time, I was thinking about a petrol one but I do often do long tours of 600 -> 1000 miles so the fuel consumption of the diesels appeals.

Had a 2013 E250CDi for about 3 years until Dec 2020. - Totally trouble free apart from creaking/squeaking seals. Use GummiPhledge frequently on roof seals.

There are no downsides to the 265bhp really. Other than my dad's shows up as not ULEZ compatible, and my 231bhp (and some others) bizarrely come up as OK.

Despite this, you generally want a EURO 6 car, not a EURO 5 for ULEZ. This is usually the facelift W212, but there are some very rare pre-facelift W212 that have adblue and are EURO 6.

2013 is the year of the facelift and the switch over to EURO 6 (at least for the saloon). Prices jump up on the facelift as it does look a lot more modern. Interior is very similar.

Generally, newer is better, and that includes the 9G gearbox (vs the 7G or 7G+).

Thanks Teddy, I was warned off the EU6 as it was very complex and potentially a problem later on.

Sorry should have mentioned, I never drive in London and do quite a lot of longish journeys most of the time, I was thinking about a petrol one but I do often do long tours of 600 -> 1000 miles so the fuel consumption of the diesels appeals.

Hi my petrol C207E400 on long runs is good on petrol but I tend to use Shell V power.

I have but only once achieved 50 mpg in Spain driving normally but in reality the car on a long journey tends to return 37 mpg but cannot compete with a diesel version overall.

I have driven the diesel version of my car (265 bhp) and I would have been happy to own the car apart from issues with the emission zones now popping up over the country.

Buying a Euro 5 car nowadays when you have the budget for a Euro 6 seems like a bad idea unless it’s super cheap bargain and you have another car

We looked at an E300 petrol but bought an E220d in the end. The new OM654 has no issues with dpf in towns and i researched this alot in German forums. I have seen w213 taxis with 500k km+ of urban driving. If you are going to do some long journeys you should get 55 mpg at U.K. speeds (we do in an e and a c is lighter). A colleague of mine bought an E200 petrol and regret it to this day as he only gets about 35 mpg on a good day. My wifes cab is 3 years old and about 25k miles - no issues with dpf at all and she is 90% short urban journeys with the odd 500 mile long journey once every few months.

Welcome along Chaz.
If you’re driving long journeys the majority of the time a 350d makes sense. Obviously there are other diesel derivatives on offer, and would make sense to try them, but if you are, like me, hooked on a bit of extra grunt, the 350 is the model. 😎

I have had a 2010 A207 E350 for about six months. It is the Euro 5 230bhp model with the 7g box. No Adblu is one less hassle if you don’t need it. It drives very nice and they are more for a cruise than that sporty to drive so I’m not sure more power would be that noticeable. The torque of the v6 diesel suits the cars style well. The hood mechanism is very clever and complex but generally get a good name if you look after it and use sensibility. Not many genuine 4 seater convertible cars about with decent engines so I’m pretty pleased with it.

I have the E250 version, power wise it has plenty with very good economy, I would have loved the 350 but the car fell through at the last minute.
Check out the leather seats as most are synthetic.
A rear reverse camera is a must.
Some models are sport plus, these have 19 inch wheels and a boot lip spoiler.
Most have low mileages but still need the Transmission ATF change at 5 years.
Check to make sure the windscreen spoiler rises at 30mph, its part of the aircap system.
Hood operation should be nice and smooth

Welcome Chaz.

I have a 2012 E350cdi 265ps sport convertible. Having just come back from a 3000 mile round trip around Scotland I must say it was the perfect companion. Averaging 45mpg for the whole trip, carrying 2 adults and 2 weeks of luggage comfortably and making passing motorhomes/caravans a breeze.
To me the advantage of the 265 ps over the other models is the torque not the power.
I also have the optional Dynamic Handling Package fitted which made some of the twisty bits great fun .
The main thing is though to choose the engine and specification that suits your needs and budget and I'm sure you will be impressed with whatever decision you make.

My wife has one which she is now looking to sell. 2013 model, but with reversing camera. She’s had it 4 yrs, fsh , 28600 miles. Averages 31 to 34 mg around town. New battery Sept last yr. other than that no issues at all. Smooth, quiet, Shell V Power every 4th fill up. Just do it, you’ll have no regrets. Lovely car all round.

Many thanks to all who provided feedback, I have bitten the bullet and gone for a white E350 2015, picture below

I found the hood controls really frustrating so purchased a SmartTop unit which made life easier, as a side note I've found the SmartTop support incredibly helpful and quick. Also means I can turn off ECO mode by default.

Thanks again

Attachments

• IMG_4074 copy.JPG
    IMG_4074 copy.JPG
    692.5 KB · Views: 13
Many thanks to all who provided feedback, I have bitten the bullet and gone for a white E350 2015, picture below

I found the hood controls really frustrating so purchased a SmartTop unit which made life easier, as a side note I've found the SmartTop support incredibly helpful and quick. Also means I can turn off ECO mode by default.

Thanks again
What does the Smartop do ?

It mainly makes the hood a one touch operation rather than having to keep hold of the button, also gives the option of operating the roof remotely, there are some other functions as well

Is this a software upload via the OBDII port?

If so, then they have uploaded a modified version of the original software for the relevant ECUs.

3 points to consider:

1. You should inform your insurer of this modification.

2. If using an MB dealer for servicing, make sure they do not update any software on your car, or the customised version will be overwritten (though it can then be reinstalled via the OBDII port again).

3. Is this an MB Approved Used car? If so, then you might have an issue if the roof needs a warranty repair and the modified software is spotted, though this is not very likely.

No its a piece of hardware.
1. It does not affect the performance of the vehicle so no need to inform insurer
2. It can easily be disabled without removing it
3. Not an MB approved car.

Lovely car....

I had smart top on the CLK convertible.
Remote opening and at speeds up X mph were what it offered.

Plug in module, should have been a factory fit imho

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom