E350 CDI Coupe, G-Wagen or an SL55?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
As some of you know, I have been thinking about selling my CLS55 AMG as I am looking for a change.

I have currently narrowed its replacement to the following:

G Wagen - Will be slow, thirsty and acient
SL55 AMG - Dated interior, possible ABC issues - but will have a V8...!
E350 CDI + Brabus Chip.

What are peoples general concensus on the C207 E350 cdi's? - after looking at the specs available should I fit a Brabus D6S chip they are around 310Bhp + 700nm - which is around the same torque as my CLS and around 3 times the MPG...!

I do like the slightly understated look of them and I would want either black or sliver with a panoramic roof.

Looking over on the American forums, there are lot of mods you can do to their apperance - mostly tasteful.

Before the AMG crowd kicks off at me, I will miss the V8 burble alot aswell as the power, but the CLS is a bit overkill for what I use my car for, in central Cambridge its virtually impossible to get above 30mph anyway.

50mpg+, 300bhp+, 700nm+ modern design and interior - E350 is looking very appealing, opinions? :)

Last edited:
You won't get that mpg if you're planning on city driving. (I've assume short distances).
However, if you open it up so engine gets warm (15 mile+ trips) you should be ok.
Otherwise you risk all the usual diesel problems with not getting it to optimal temps.(DRP, glow plugs etc).
I had a e350 on order until I reconsidered whether it would match my driving habits. Ended up buying a petrol.

drive one first .. it's on the 204 C class chassis

not a patch on CLS Airmatic DC ...

Id love a s212 e350 cdi cracking looking car and go well to when mapped.

drive one first .. it's on the 204 C class chassis

not a patch on CLS Airmatic DC ...

Yep, will do. The interior although alot more modern wont be as good as the CLS's I know - harder plastics etc.

Thanks both for replies :thumb:

For example: (there are cheaper ones)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercedes-...338?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4d34a94542

$_57.JPG

Alot of modding potental aswell :)

Last edited:
Just to mix things up a little; I have seen one G-Wagen twice in eighteen months so still quite rare and they are eminently modifiable…slow compared to a car for outright speed but that is no bad thing. The nine years (and 120,000 miles) I had a Defender were the most relaxing driving years I have had. Still fun but in a different way….and nobody pulls out on you or cuts you up.

Got to be the SL55 out of that list... You don't use it everyday and the e350 will just be another diesel, not special enough for an occasion car?

Edit: don't be scared of ABC, I can help you out!!

Last edited:
KillerHERTZ said:
As some of you know, I have been thinking about selling my CLS55 AMG as I am looking for a change. I have currently narrowed its replacement to the following: G Wagen - Will be slow, thirsty and acient SL55 AMG - Dated interior, possible ABC issues - but will have a V8...! E350 CDI + Brabus Chip. What are peoples general concensus on the C207 E350 cdi's? - after looking at the specs available should I fit a Brabus D6S chip they are around 310Bhp + 700nm - which is around the same torque as my CLS and around 3 times the MPG...! I do like the slightly understated look of them and I would want either black or sliver with a panoramic roof. Looking over on the American forums, there are lot of mods you can do to their apperance - mostly tasteful. Before the AMG crowd kicks off at me, I will miss the V8 burble alot aswell as the power, but the CLS is a bit overkill for what I use my car for, in central Cambridge its virtually impossible to get above 30mph anyway. 50mpg+, 300bhp+, 700nm+ modern design and interior - E350 is looking very appealing, opinions? :)
Hi, how much would the Brabus chip cost approx?

231bhp e350cdi will get around 26mpg round town and 36 on a run I found, the coupe may be slightly better.

E400 makes far more sense.

My E350 CDI Coupe 265 bhp Blueeffiency can see middle 30s in town and high 40s on a run, even better if I keep away from the sport button .:D

Just to mix things up a little; I have seen one G-Wagen twice in eighteen months so still quite rare and they are eminently modifiable…slow compared to a car for outright speed but that is no bad thing. The nine years (and 120,000 miles) I had a Defender were the most relaxing driving years I have had. Still fun but in a different way….and nobody pulls out on you or cuts you up.

I am also tempted by this G:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151734535505?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Id love to get it looking upto date (tastefully) with 2010 lights (non-LED) grill, bumpers, mirrors etc etc.

$_57.JPG

Hi, how much would the Brabus chip cost approx?

2nd hand around £300-£400 it seems and approved by MB

E400 makes far more sense.

It doesnt, there are non under £30k...! :)

Last edited:
My E350 CDI Coupe 265 bhp Blueeffiency can see middle 30s in town and high 40s on a run, even better if I keep away from the sport button .:D

I think if you're gong to go for a 350 try and find a 265bhp one on budget.

It doesnt, there are non under £30k...! :)

Haha, financially not, I agree. However, if you are swapping to get better MPG the 231bhp 350cdi is not the greatest.

The current E coupe is one of the classiest looking cars MB currently produce and lots of tasteful body mods exist for it. :cool: My views on the G-wagon = "expensive mutton dressed as lamb" are already well known. :eek: The [strictly two seater] R230 SL is begining to look a bit "Rod Stewart" now- if I can put it that way.:eek:

I am still hankering after a nice G

The RR SC is fine but every time I see a G out on the roads I get a twinge.

There was a lovely petrol one on Pistonheads a short while back that I went to see (it's sold now) and it was superb. Top money, but spot on.

If WBAC et al had offered me a reasonable price for the RR I would have bought it.

R230 SL is begining to look a bit "Rod Stewart" now- if I can put it that way.:eek:

Thats exactly what im worried about :eek::eek::eek:

I am still hankering after a nice G

The RR SC is fine but every time I see a G out on the roads I get a twinge.

There was a lovely petrol one on Pistonheads a short while back that I went to see (it's sold now) and it was superb. Top money, but spot on.

Getting on for 10 years now I have wanted a G, its an itch I need to scratch, not sure if I could live with 170bhp (I think) from the 300 diesel + slow performance.

But for modding, there is so much I can do. :bannana:

There is a lady of a certain age around my way with a 12 plate blue (cavansite maybe)one.

I see it when I am out on my walk in the morning.

I can't put my finger on the actual reason for the attraction but...

“but the CLS is a bit overkill for what I use my car for, in central Cambridge its virtually impossible to get above 30mph anyway.”

You’ve already answered your own question – both SL55 and the G won’t get near 30mpg, so it has to be the E350 CDi for you.

E350 is too boring, SL55 is too "middle aged", G wagon prices seem to be going 1 way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom