E350 Cdi Direct Select - Auxiliary Battery Malfunction

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ukwide

Car
CLK 270 Cdi, E Class 280 cdi
Hi, can anyone help?
i have a 2009 E350 Cdi with the Direct Select auto gearbox and the message Auxiliary Battery Malfunction message comes when first starting the car. Do I need to seek immediate garage assistance or what’s the next step(s)?

Any help would be gratefully received.

rgds

Gary
Salisbury

Hi, can anyone help?
i have a 2009 E350 Cdi with the Direct Select auto gearbox and the message Auxiliary Battery Malfunction message comes when first starting the car. Do I need to seek immediate garage assistance or what’s the next step(s)?

rgds

Gary
Salisbury
When I had the same message I changed the auxiliary battery as distronic+ wasn't working properly. Now if you don't have similar issues you can just ignore the message.

The small battery in the boot may need distilled water top up and a good charge ...

Hi,
Though unless you are having electrical issues you could ignore the message in the short term, my understanding will be the car will always be giving priority to this battery to try and keep it charged, which will in turn effect how the car charges the main battery, and ultimately ignoring this message for to long could cause the main battery to fail prematurely.
The auxilliary battery is very unlikely to require topping up as I believe most of them are AGM type.

Hi,
Though unless you are having electrical issues you could ignore the message in the short term, my understanding will be the car will always be giving priority to this battery to try and keep it charged, which will in turn effect how the car charges the main battery, and ultimately ignoring this message for to long could cause the main battery to fail prematurely.
The auxilliary battery is very unlikely to require topping up as I believe most of them are AGM type.

20200919_080501.jpg

My main battery , agm. Every cell bone dry.

Hi, can anyone help?

rgds

Gary
Salisbury

Has it always done this ?

I only noticed it on Saturday, I pressed the back button On the steering wheel and it went. Haven’t noticed anything not working and it came on again today, but only the once!

OK. I only ask because if its been like this all the time ,there's a chance the fuse was removed for stop start.

the car doesn’t have the stop start button, so I’m not sure that’s the answer, but I could be wrong mate...

It wont be then.

An AGM battery is meant to be dry hence why they are used in some motor bikes where the battery is mounted at odd angles, and in NASCAR and other motor racing formulas so in the event of accidents to avoid any spillage.
The acid is absorbed, retained in a fine matting, and are sealed,apart from a breather and are maintenance free.
O/P you could try to give your battery a good charge, though you will really need a specific charger designed to fully charge an AGM Battery.

Last edited:
Hi, can anyone help?

rgds

Gary
Salisbury

What's the part number of this auxiliary battery ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom