E350 CDI Engine Temperature (2013)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoBdOg!

Car
E350 Cabriolet
Hi all,

I'm after some advice please.

[E350 Cabriolet CDI (265bhp) 2013 W212]

Ive noticed my engine temperature seems to be a little low. When driving, normally I would notice it sat at a constant 90°C. However this weekend I went for a pretty long drive (around 100 miles) and the highest it got cruising was 65°C. Unless I was stationary it would reach 80°C. I could only get it to 90°C in sport mode and holding the revs higher. As I was cruising along on the motorway It was sat around 65°C sometimes dropping to 60°C.
Is this normal? Outside air temperature was around 10°C and I'm pretty sure it has never been this low even in colder conditions. My mind is telling me it would always be sat at 90°C no matter what.

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like a faulty thermostat, seems to be a common issue. I had similar issues and a new 'stat cured it. It should get to 90 deg (mine should anyway) and stay there regardless of driving conditions.

Sounds like a faulty thermostat, seems to be a common issue. I had similar issues and a new 'stat cured it. It should get to 90 deg (mine should anyway) and stay there regardless of driving conditions.

Thanks for your reply, is it an expensive job?

It depends, if you can do it yourself then not really. Maybe 1-2 hours labour from an indie.

Definitely should always be at 90 degrees once fully warm (5-10 mins), only ever going HIGHER if you are giving it a thrashing in warmer weather

Had ours changed a week ago with same symptoms. About £150 from an Indy.

It really should be 1/2 hour labour from a MB indie that does this all the time! Expect it to be 1 hour labour though. The part itself from MB is expensive however, unfortunately.

I managed to do it myself and it wasn't too tricky.

It really should be 1/2 hour labour from a MB indie that does this all the time! Expect it to be 1 hour labour though. The part itself from MB is expensive however, unfortunately.

I managed to do it myself and it wasn't too tricky.

I don't suppose you know of a guide for my model do you? Thanks for all your help guys

Just in case you start looking by platform number, your car is a W207 (A207 to be precise) not a W212. They are completely different platforms, although in this case the engine will be the same. But just for reference so you know for the future.

The Cab/Coupe are built on a former C class platform rather than the E class one for the saloon / estate. They just have the same look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom