E350 CDI Gearbox

Discussion in 'Engine' started by MrBMW, Jun 5, 2011.

1. MrBMW

MrBMW New Member

Car:
    BMW
    Good evening to all.

Have just come back from Mercedes Benz Chelsea dealership to see what information I could amass regarding the E350 CDI. After taking a test drive, all I can say is wow! I love the exterior look of the car (sport) and the brilliant quality of the interior. Having all that power under the throttle will sure come in handy. However, I'm a bit dilly-dally over the 7G-tronic gearbox. I hoped that any owners on here could shed some light on how good the actually are, without being too bias. I love the fact that these cars are extremely good, efficient and cheap to run, and to be honest, makes my 525d LCI look extremely modest.

I will sure hope to be changing over from BMW back to Mercedes after 3 years of Beamer ownership, and mind you, I have missed MB! In the foreseeable future, I will be looking to buy an AU 350 CDI sport, most definitely, but just wanted to hear the thoughts of owners to have that added piece of mind. Dealer was most helpful giving me straight answers to all questions I had. I also wanted to know what others thought of the 350's V6 power output?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide, and I look forward to years of future MB experiences and participation to this forum.
    MK.

2. ingin

ingin Active Member

Car:
    CLK280
    I have a 7G in my 280 CLK and have been quite disappointed with the performance. My main issue (covered by many posts 12 months or so ago) was the failure of the gearbox to automatically down select a gear or two without using the stepdown "button" under the accelerator pedal or the steering wheeel padles when I pull out to pass. I find this very annoying. I have had 5 previous MB's and none showed up this issue. The dealer just said it is the design of the 7G and get used to using the accelerator pedal to force the change. I really thought MB were better than that. Otherwise, the 7G is a nice smooth box.
    Regards Ingin

3. st13phil

st13phil MB Club Veteran

Car:
    His - Diamond White W212 E63 Biturbo with Night Package / Hers - Obsidian Black R172 SLK55
    My wife has a 2009 SLK350 with the 7G-Tronic 'box and I have a (one month old!) E350CDI Avantgarde saloon with the 7G-Tronic Plus 'box. I've also had a C220CDI with the 5-speed 'box.

Some on here moan and groan about the 7G-Tronic, while others - like myself - find it great and a significant improvement over the 5-speeder. Earlier examples of the 7G-Tronic 'box do seem to have suffered all sorts of maladies, most often in terms of harsh downshifts, but most are eventually "cured" after multiple visits to the dealer network for software updates and adaptions. By contrast, the box in the SLK has been faultless and is a genuine pleasure to drive. It has an almost uncanny knack of being in the right gear at all times - so much so that I joke that it's telepathic.

The 7G-Tronic Plus 'box is even better, imo. It features a new torque-convertor design which locks up very quickly and at surprisingly low revs, and a host of other changes to give better fuel economy. Personally, I'd have no qualms whatsoever about buying a (late) car with either the 7G-Tronic or 7G-Tronic Plus 'box.

As far as the 350CDI motor goes, it's a peach. It's creamy smooth, pulls like a train and is quiet to boot. The latest incarnation in the E Saloon produces 265hp and 620Nm of torque over a quite wide rev-range which makes the car very relaxed to drive even when "making progress".

4. jaymanek

jaymanek Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Car:
    Lots of Mercedes!
    I think the G must stand for genius! I love it... I think its a fantastic box.

5. Mercy1

Mercy1 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    It's a car - just a car!
    In my ML, I thought the 7G was fantastic - easy, smooth and powerful. In my lighter, nimbler 350CDI Sport, it is frighteningly fast (to me, anyway!)...

6. ingin

ingin Active Member

Car:
    CLK280
    Interesting posts. My CLK is a 2006 with only 55k (kms) on it and I did experience the harsh gear change referenced in one of the posts above, but it was fixed by the dealer, however, the performance is still not what I would expect from the car. It maybe the combination of the "older" 7G and a 3 ltr V6, perhaps just not enough grunt to get the best from the 7G. I am not moaning and groaning, just reporting my experience with a 7G.
    Not every thing is equal.

Regards Ingin

7. timskemp

timskemp Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W213 E220d
    My 2007 C class has no problems after some software updates to stop it changing down to first early.

8. trapperjohn

trapperjohn MB Club Veteran

Car:
    124 300D 24V Estate
    Morning Tim. May have lost a few threads - have you got it back yet?

9. timskemp

timskemp Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W213 E220d
    Should get it back today, I threatened them with putting 2000 miles on a scotland and london round trip on the courtesy car...

All the work is done (was finished yesterday), awaiting delivery of a Navigation 20 (courtesy car has it and I've decided I really missed having the iPod interface) so if it doesn't arrive today I'll get the car back until it does.

Tags: