E350 CDI or S350 CDI, Late 2015

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

OJLane

Car
E350d, E350 CDI sold on at 357,000 miles, C270 is sadly no longer with us, chewed a glow plug :-(
Hi all, just wondering what people’s thoughts are. I currently run a 2009 E350 CDI with 344,000 miles and need to change due to council age restrictions (I do private hire work). I have been very pleased with my E350 over the last 6 years and nearly 250,000 miles and want to stick with the same engine.

Would the S class be much more expensive to run and maintain over high miles?

I do most of the maintenance myself including timing chain, so am reasonably familiar. Are things like engine mounts more difficult on the S and is the air suspension likely to give me problems these days? I know it was an issue on older ones.

What are things to look for? I need to go 65 plate or newer and have up to £20,000 to spend. I really wanted an estate but these are few and far between at the moment, prices have gone crazy!

If you are good with spanners chaging the Airmatic units should be too bad ( did all 4 on my W221 at 100k in my driveway). Airmatic, like pretty much any shock absorver will require maintenance.
Always replace with OEM ( Mercedes or Bilstein) as anything else is not good.. Engine mounts, quite easy on the W221/W222. Suspension and other bits seems to be similar precides on the W221 again my old W212 ( also with OM642 engine)

If you are good with spanners chaging the Airmatic units should be too bad ( did all 4 on my W221 at 100k in my driveway). Airmatic, like pretty much any shock absorver will require maintenance.
Always replace with OEM ( Mercedes or Bilstein) as anything else is not good.. Engine mounts, quite easy on the W221/W222. Suspension and other bits seems to be similar precides on the W221 again my old W212 ( also with OM642 engine)
Thank's for the info, it's the cost of the suspension components that really scares me, and the fact that you needed to change them at 100,000 miles! Mine on springs has done 344,000 miles and suspension wise all that has been changed in it's life has been 2 rear springs and 2 front bushes and still seems really tight with no clunks or rattles! Out of interest what did it cost to replace the struts? If that's not a rude question of course

On Airmatics units, I spent close around £2100 GBP ( all 4 )I. I have also changed the compressor ( Genuine Merc - 350 GBP) , the arms that connect to the heigh sensors ( cheap 10 each - Genuine Mercedes - they were super stiff). All of this made a world of difference.

Also remember that just because it does not knock or clunk, does it mean it is good. Suspension components wear out with time gradually so it is hard to tell. I though mine was nice and tight in terms of suspenion and found a little play on one of the lower control arms, so I have changed ( in pairs in Lemforder parts) that made a very good difference. Afterwards, I decided that as I really like this car, I have changed the remaininf of the lower and upper control arms + tie rod + drop links and the car is even more so smooth and comfortable 9 again a very noticicable difference)

Next the rear.....

In terms of comparasion, having had a S212 with Airmatic + Ortopedic seats ( air bladders ) my W221 with Airmatic + comfort seats is way ahead in terms of comfort and refinement , so a very nice upgrade overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom