e350 cdi poor mpg

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pedro44

Car
e350 coupe cdi
hi everyone just wanted to pick your collective brains.

I bought my e350 cdi coupe in the summer lovely car but I'm not too happy with the mpg.
previous owner had it remapped at Avon tuning Bristol area, car drives fine [ do get an occasional delay between throttle and pulling out but think this is more gearbox than anything ].
my point is on recent motorway trips to London only achieving around 38/40 mpg at a steady 70mph..considering its been mapped I would be expecting more..
I've been in touch with Avon tuning the seem to think there's nothing in there map that would make it have poor mpg and suspected there's some other problem with the car..
I've check the thermostat/operating temperature and the car gets up to temp quickly and the gauge stays constant.
is there something else in your collective experience that might help before I get it flashed back to standard and start again. Car has full history and only covered 47k
sorry for the essay
peter.

Are the mpg figures you quote based upon brim to brim refuelling, or are they from the car's trip computer? If from the latter, they're not that accurate in my experience.

Are the mpg figures you quote based upon brim to brim refuelling, or are they from the car's trip computer? If from the latter, they're not that accurate in my experience.
from the computer but the gauge does seem to go down quicker than expected lol

does seem low look at my fuelly account on my signature. Mine only the early v6 (231BHP)

my 220cdi average 42mpg on the motorway, considering your car is more powerful the figure looks about right.

I have a saloon E350 CDi and get between 42 and 44mpg on long drives from Surrey to Wales or Scotland, usually sitting on the motorway at about 70-80ish. I have once even seen 50.5mpg, but that was through road works.

The V6 is not a particularly economic Diesel engine.... diesel has winter additives added at this time of year that further reduces economy.

Mines the lighter c class and i only average around 42-47 mpg on the motorway at 70 and i cant squeeze owt else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do hope I'm not going to get jumped on for saying this, but the figures some people are quoting here are barely more than my C350 petrol. On a mainly motorway run cruising at 70 to 80 I get around 40mpg.

However, a couple of months ago the consumption got very much worse at around 25 to 30mpg on a run and only 20 overall. I read somewhere (may have been here) that the learning feature of the ECU and/or GCU (nobody was clear which) can seriously damage fuel consumption. My wife and I had only been doing very short journeys (no more than 4 or 5 miles) for many weeks so I thought that may have confused all the computers. So I tried out one of the simple methods I'd read of resetting things: I disconnected one terminal of the battery and waited 5 minutes without touching anything, then reconnected. It worked, I'm back to averaging 40 on long runs. Has to be worth a try if you think your consumption isn't as good as it should be.

Your mpg sounds about right for the speed and uk roads.

Mine averages around 43/44 mpg mostly B roads, when in France earlier this year I was getting up to 50 mpg but this was summer and cruising on their superb toll roads at steady 65/70 mph.

I have only just completed 5000 miles so I suspect things may improve a little as the engine runs in a bit more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most folk who complain of diesel MPG figures drive them like a petrol engine. There is a knack to driving diesels where you can use the low down torque and only need to press the accelerator by less than 1/2" an inch, while still making rapid progress and using very little fuel. If you drive them the same as a petrol engine, you just waste fuel.
I've managed 68.3MPG from my 220CDi but have seen between 70 & 80mpg for newer models. I would expect over 50mpg to be easy to get on a 350CDi

Russ

I have a 2012 C350

On a run the other day on A and B roads I average 42mph and got 53.3 mpg

In and around town that drops a chunk, I don't drive slowly
but on a trip I easily get mid 40"s

I took a pic of dash but not sure how to upload onto here??

I have an E350 cdi coupe on a drive to Huntingdon of 81 miles 44 motorway and 37 A14 my record is 53.3 mpg I had the cruise set to 70.

How do you add pictures?

Wanted to add a pic of my mpg but could not work out how to do it

Jeez id love some of the figures you guys are quoting for the 350cdi. Im getting 32-35 around town at best and 39-41 for motorway driving. Not that im complaining i love the car but may do a tune to improve throttle response some time soon

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I recently had my 2010 c350 cdi mapped by CKS in Watford. Will full up the tank and post results.

Jeez id love some of the figures you guys are quoting for the 350cdi. Im getting 32-35 around town at best and 39-41 for motorway driving. Not that im complaining i love the car but may do a tune to improve throttle response some time soon

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Check out my post from yesterday. I remapped and I'm getting better MPG figures on a run but around town if your not gentle you will be seeing high 20s lol I think that's pretty good from a 3.0L LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom