E350 CDi Sports - Calling all owners

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

M&D

Car
E350 CDi Sports Saloon
I have addressed my issue under another link but feel I need to escalate the issue to get a better understanding if my issue is unique or whether other owners are experiencing the same?
I bought new a E350 CDi Sports Saloon in June 2010. In short I have endured for over 12 months the following symptoms:
1. A drop in performance where the engine appears sluggish and engine revs increase before auto gear change. An increase in noise is also witnessed which sounds similar to an exhaust blowing.
2. If stationary in traffic when this occurs, the idle engine speed has increased from circa 600 rpm to around 900-950rpm.
3. If the accelerator is pressed when stationary, the increase in revs is relatively smooth but appears a little laboured. However, the noise on the rev decrease is a "whirring" sound rather like a football rattle. It is not smooth and sounds agricultural.
4. If I park up during this occurance, there is a strong acute smell in the vincinity of the rear passenger door/wheel arch, similar to burning rubber.

This problem only last for around 12-15 miles and is ramdom at intervals from 150 miles to 800 miles. Predominantly, it occurs having only driven a few miles first thing in the day, but it has also been experienced having driven up to 60 -90 miles. I have parked the car up at night having experienced the problem only to start the car the next morning and the problems still persist. When I have managed to get the car to my local MB dealership with the problem present, no faults are shown on the diagnostic system. The local dealer identified the issue to the ERG and replaced its components. For a while the car drove the best ever experienced, but alas, the issue returned after less than 800 miles. The car is 18 months old and has just over 18k on the clock. Having just taken the car to MB Bristol, where the car was purchased, I have been told this is the normal operation for the E350CDi engine and there is nothing they will do unless the issue escalates so as they can diagnose a problem. I have asked them to present the another same spec engined E350 to prove this is common, but they cannot or will not do this?

So my question to you folks who know more about their E350 CDi's than me, is this the norm? If not, what advice do you have?

That sounds like the particulate trap is being regenerated.

Thanks. Would this occur as frequently as being experienced?

For example, 7 Oct mileage 16265
31 Oct mileage 17030
3 Nov mileage 17168
4 Nov mileage 17183
9 Nov mileage 17396
17 Nov mileage 17755
23 Nov mileage 17941
24 Nov mileage 17950
3 Dec mileage 18210
(the list goes all the way back to before March)

Also, should I experience a drop off in performance when driving, as this is the first clue I get that the problem is reoccurring?

And again, why did I not experience tha same with the E350CDi courtesy car I had for over 2 weeks from my local dealer while they were trying to diagnose the problem?

That sounds like the particulate trap is being regenerated.

Ah, interesting.

Driving my C220cdi on Friday morning into a car park it started making an awful noise similar to that being described in the OP. Lasted 5 minutes or so then stopped.

I'm also getting this smell of burnt rubber from the rear three quarters of the car. Are these DPF symptoms?

Thanks. Would this occur as frequently as being experienced?

For example, 7 Oct mileage 16265
31 Oct mileage 17030
3 Nov mileage 17168
4 Nov mileage 17183
9 Nov mileage 17396
17 Nov mileage 17755
23 Nov mileage 17941
24 Nov mileage 17950
3 Dec mileage 18210
(the list goes all the way back to before March)

Also, should I experience a drop off in performance when driving, as this is the first clue I get that the problem is reoccurring?

And again, why did I not experience tha same with the E350CDi courtesy car I had for over 2 weeks from my local dealer while they were trying to diagnose the problem?

That doesn't sound right - too frequent.

What sort of driving do mainly you?

On a couple of occasions, I have been puzzled by the smell of burning rubber when I have got out of the car, but it has quickly dissipated. Can I assume that is the particulate trap regenerating? Does it need attention?
(Would add that there has been no effect on performance whatsoever - just a smell.)

Never had that issue at all but then I know there is an issue where the 350 CDIs sound overly loud and have a drop off in performance but can't remember what it was down to.

Only time the car idles a little higher than normal is when it is warming up if it has been left out at the office in the day, lives in a heated garage overnight so doesn't take long to warm up in the mornings.

Never had a burning rubber smell either, I thought giving it a bit of a hard run when its warmed up burns all the crap from the DPF up so it doesn't need to faff about regenerating when idle?

That doesn't sound right - too frequent.

What sort of driving do mainly you?

I average around 40 miles per day, back and fore to my place of work. It is solely trunk roads, so I get caught up in traffic, etc, which takes around 30-40 minutes. I do get to use a 6 mile stretch of motorway about 3 times per week, but any longer distance motorway driving is restricted to no more than once a month.
I have been advised that if this is any part of the regeneration then the frequency is too often, but MB have not been able to offer an answer to this question. MD Customer Service have failed to reply, let alone answer any of the questions that I have forwarded to them.

I average around 40 miles per day, back and fore to my place of work. It is solely trunk roads, so I get caught up in traffic, etc, which takes around 30-40 minutes. I do get to use a 6 mile stretch of motorway about 3 times per week, but any longer distance motorway driving is restricted to no more than once a month.
I have been advised that if this is any part of the regeneration then the frequency is too often, but MB have not been able to offer an answer to this question. MD Customer Service have failed to reply, let alone answer any of the questions that I have forwarded to them.

My driving habits are similar to yours (car bought March 2010) and I've never had a problem (Maybe shouldn't tempt fate!). I love my car and would have been extremely upset to have suffered your problems.

Have you tried different fuels?

My driving habits are similar to yours (car bought March 2010) and I've never had a problem (Maybe shouldn't tempt fate!). I love my car and would have been extremely upset to have suffered your problems.

Have you tried different fuels?

I have and do use different suppliers, even buying the premium diesel from the like of Shell or BP, but the problems still occur!! The only benefit has been better fuel economy.

DPFs are a real pain and cause all manufacturers problems at times.

I suspect your issue is with the sensors reporting excess soot or ash.

Surely the dealer should be able to diagnose and get you back to normal running.

You need to drive it harder.
Floor it in 3rd gear when your at low revs a couple of time and give it a good thrash on the motorway, your not getting the DPF hot enough.

Cheers
Gary

DPFs are a real pain and cause all manufacturers problems at times.

I suspect your issue is with the sensors reporting excess soot or ash.

Surely the dealer should be able to diagnose and get you back to normal running.

MB have deemed this as normal operation and the dealership is getting no further support from MB Customer Service to investiagte. When asked the question why do I experience it so frequently they have no answer. The car has had its software reprogrammed 3 times, the alternator changed, the ERG components changed, and last weekend the battery changed. It has been back in the dealership for over 5 weeks in the 18 months since its purchase. I have been told to drive it until it escalates further until they can diagnose the problem, since the diagnostic system does not show any faults. In short MB have washed their hands of the issue and ignore my dissatisfaction!!

You need to drive it harder.
Floor it in 3rd gear when your at low revs a couple of time and give it a good thrash on the motorway, your not getting the DPF hot enough.

Cheers
Gary

Appreciate your comments Gary, but the engine does get to temperature, circa 80 degC, and my runs back and fore to work takes 30-40 minutes each way. I should not have to thrash it and encounter motorway driving for the car to perform correctly. The engine should perform under these driving conditions. My previous 4 cars have been 3.0 diesels driven under similar conditions and I have never experienced the same as with this E350CDi. As yet no other E350 CDi owners are saying in numbers, they experience the same and as previously stated, MB will not act until they diagnose in their eyes an issue, regardless of how I as a customer feels.

That sounds like typical Mercedes-Benz to me, the same has happened, but sometimes they contact the dealer without contacting you, only get their side of the story because they are not interested in what else you have to say, and finish with by saying sorry. Thats it.

I have this issue occasionally and can confirm it is the DPF regenerating. I do experience the increased idle speed and it holding onto gears for longer before changing up. When this happens I also experience the burning smell. I do not however suffer from a fall in performance and mine does not happen as frequently as yours seems to.

Hope this helps.

M&D
Maybe try and give it them back, or how about contact with Honest John in The Telegarph and ask him to intervene. Either way it's not a good experience for you as a customer and a pain in ass as a driver.
I recently spoke to a guy about remapping and DPF bypassing etc and it was him who mentioned about the car needing to be driven hard enough on occassions to clean out the DPF. In my particular situation it was deemed that it wasn't necessary to change or replace anything. It was just a thought.
Hope you get it sorted.

As an aside, here's my best mpg on a trip down south.
MPGPic-1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom