E350 Covertible - Buying advise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MB8701

Car
2007 Mercedes S320 W221 AMG Kit
Hi All,

Looking to buy a 61 plate e350 convertible.
I have seen a handful of issues regarding rattles from the rear and dash but I assume this is luck of the draw as it could happen in any car. I just want to make sure its not a known issue with the e class coupe/covertibles.

Also further to this I know the e350 of this period had injector issues - the car I am looking at has full MB service history so I assume if it had issues it would have neen picked up by now?

Any advise would be great!

Our 13 plate doesn't have any rear or dashboard rattles
But, we have a window rattle. Initially on the passenger side where the front & rear windows join there was a squeak.
Same place on the drivers side is worse, it rattles.
I've lubricated the rubbers with Gummi Pfledge which has cured the passenger side and improved the drivers side. It seems to be the front window rattling against the rear passenger window when the roof is down.
Tried to get is sorted under warranty but have been told squeaks & rattles not covered by used car warranty. They offered to take if in to diagnose the problem and would charge £130 iirc. If they found a manufacturing defect it would be covered under warranty.
Our current solution is to lower the rear window by 10mm so they are not touching.
I guess the problem is alignment of either the front of rear window guide. Plan to take it to local indy for advice.

Ive not got experience of the e class, but do have a late model clk soft top. I think the general thing which Applies to all fabric roofed convertibles is that they do have a propensity to twitch and squeak where the glass meets the rubber seals around the roof. Speaking to friends who are owners of A5 convertibles and other Mercedes owners it is a universal problem which is just a by product of the inherent design. You can minimise the squeaks with silicone spray (or the merecedes approved gummi pflege) but ultimately you have to accept that they will always squeak to some extent and this is a downside. I have to say that it irritates me in my clk....but as I only use the car at weekends, usually on dry hot days, the impact on my sanity is minimal as the roof is usually down and then the problem goes away. But if you intend to use it all year round, make sure the incessant squeaks and twitches as you go over bumps are bearable. I'm a bit OCD in that regard, so squirm every time my Benz hits a bump and the car squeaks and squirms! Just a little food for thought before you jump in. HTH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom