E350 diesel vs E250 petrol

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

harvin1975

Car
E Class Estate W212; VW Golf
Hi,

Big dilemma!

Just ordered a new E350 AMG Night Edition Premium Plus. Loved the performance stats for such a big estate car.

However, last 2 days been thinking more about whether I'm getting myself set up for trouble.
I do less than 5000 miles per year and my daily commute is 1mile, then 2 miles and then 2 miles and then 1 mile. 6 miles total per day.
Weekends I may average 20-30 miles in 5 mile blasts. Every few months I do a 70 mile round journey. So, not many long runs.
With the E350 being a diesel I'm clearly worried about the wear from so many short journeys and I've been reading all sorts of frightening threads on DPF replacements and their associated costs.
So, decided to swap order for a petrol E250.

However, heart keeps pulling me back to the E350 due to the better performance and being a more fun drive.

Is my brain making the right choice - should I be worried about using the E350 for such short journeys?
I'm probably keeping this car for next 7-10years so worry about costly repairs to the diesel that I might incur from my driving habits. Whereas, I've driven a 3.5l V6 petrol engine for last 10 years with zero problems.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Definitely petrol will be best.

The diesel will never warm up properly with the OP's mileage, and MPG will be poor over short distances.

Appreciated Red C220. Just wish the UK market had the E400 out now. Then it would be a no-brainer for me.
I've had a chance to look at some of the other threads and noticed that petrol seems to be the recommendation for short journeys.
Cost of purchase aside - I'm assuming reason is because these short journeys will end up ruining the diesel engine?

Appreciated Red C220. Just wish the UK market had the E400 out now. Then it would be a no-brainer for me.
I've had a chance to look at some of the other threads and noticed that petrol seems to be the recommendation for short journeys.
Cost of purchase aside - I'm assuming reason is because these short journeys will end up ruining the diesel engine?

That's what we would buy. We're doing around 14,000 miles a year and a diesel is borderline for us.

I can't see a decent petrol E class being available until the new model is out and the intermediate AMG is introduced so it will likely be an E450 AMG Sport or similar if it even comes to the UK.

As a long term investment the petrol is likely to hold its value better if the current "diesel disillusionment " continues and might mean a diesel car might eventually be excluded from certain urban areas.

Thanks all - looks live I've made the right choice switching from the E350 powerhouse to the E250.
Shame the E400 isn't released to UK markets yet - that would've been very tempting as ideally want something a little more powerful than the current E250.

I was surprised how long they take to warm up. I have an audible "engine has reached operating temperature" and it takes a good 17 miles before it's warmed up. Luckily I live in the middle of no where and the wife travels 20 miles to work every day.

I was surprised how long they take to warm up. I have an audible "engine has reached operating temperature" and it takes a good 17 miles before it's warmed up. Luckily I live in the middle of no where and the wife travels 20 miles to work every day.

Hi marty - I assume you're talking about the diesel engine?

Sorry, yes in my diesel.

If you are going to keep this for 7/10years why dont you wait for the new model (delivery in summer next year). Thats what I'd do.

Maybe you are getting a massive massive discount or things like new models dont bother you.

If you are going to keep this for 7/10years why dont you wait for the new model (delivery in summer next year). Thats what I'd do.

Maybe you are getting a massive massive discount or things like new models dont bother you.

There's always a new model coming out with better spec, better engines, newer facelifts etc. When they do come out I also assume discounts will initially be minimal.
So, yes - I did consider. In the end decided to go with current model with a discount that I'm happy with.

A done deal no doubt and petrol is probably the better choice. But I'm on my second diesel and I only do circa 5k miles a year with loads of v. short trips and I've had absolutely no probs with my engine whatsoever. MB serviced and all. OK fuel consumption is probably not efficient, but it doesn't matter when your are doing so few miles! My own definition of 'warmed-up' means that you've got hot air coming through the vents in the winter and the windscreen clears. OK I cheat by starting the car 5 mins before I leave, but only takes the odd mile or so...

marty359 said:

My 6 months old E220 heats up in just a few miles. Not sure, but I think I read the new models have a damper to reduce airflow over radiator when cold!

harvin1975 said:
Thanks all - looks live I've made the right choice switching from the E350 powerhouse to the E250. Shame the E400 isn't released to UK markets yet - that would've been very tempting as ideally want something a little more powerful than the current E250.

Obviously not, or you would not have been able to order one. But I thought I had read the 250 diesel had been / was being discontinued poss due to reliability issues!

Hopefully it's not the case, but just thought I would mention whilst you have the option to change.

cunny678 said:
Obviously not, or you would not have been able to order one. But I thought I had read the 250 diesel had been / was being discontinued poss due to reliability issues! Hopefully it's not the case, but just thought I would mention whilst you have the option to change.

Edit: Oops! Just realised you have ordered a petrol and I was referring to the diesel 250. Doh :)

I think you've made the right choice. I've a longer daily commute than you but it's through London traffic and I'm not getting great MPG in my E220. If I'm still doing the same commute when I change I'd definitely go petrol if I replace it with a similar car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom