E350: Difference between 2 cars

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CYPER, Sep 16, 2016.

1. CYPER

CYPER Member

Car:
    W212 E300 Hybrid
  2. PobodY

PobodY Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLK350 Sport, Nissan GTiR
    Autotrader or the seller(s) have it wrong?

Have you had a quote for both, or are you relying on the information in the adverts? - I suspect that the information isn't always as accurate as it could be.

3. OP
    OP
    CYPER

CYPER Member

Car:
    W212 E300 Hybrid
    I added both cars on my current insurance with AXA, which expires in April and there was a £80 difference which is a lot (£230 vs £310 to pay for the change).

Now I ran a search on a comparison website and the cheapest price is very similar for both (around £1410), but AXA quotes £1571 for car 1 and £1866 for car 2.

I wonder why AXA thinks these 2 cars are different :confused:

4. PobodY

PobodY Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLK350 Sport, Nissan GTiR
    How strange. - Clearly I can't spot it and my guess about Autotrader was wrong!

5. Scooby_Doo

Scooby_Doo Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W205 C250d 4matic
    Neither of the descriptions specifically state that it's a "coupe" , E350 cdi or bluetec can refer to both the coupe and saloon , they're obviously coupes in the ads but the insurance companies might recognise one of the descriptions as a saloon, just a thought.

6. Markjames

Markjames Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    mercedes e220 coupe
    Don't know difference in cars but I would check reviews on big motoring world before purchase. They may have improved but didn't have a very good reputation a few years ago

7. TheFoX

TheFoX Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLS 350 CDI Sport
    Looking at both adverts something isn't right...

Admin fee? What you see on the Windscreen is the price you should pay, and I am sick of people adding hidden extras to bump up the price.

There are plenty of dealers who only charge what is written on the screen, so I cannot understand how these shysters can get away with bumping the price up before contracts are signed, when it is more traditional to barter down.

I know someone who paid Motorpoint to have a vehicle moved to their local branch for viewing, only to be told an hour later that it was available for viewing. Turned out that the vehicle was already in transit and the staff saw an opportunity to make another £99 for their company.

The price you see should be the price you pay. If a car is advertised for £19,000, then that is all you should pay for the car from the dealer. Obviously, you sort out your own tax and insurance, but the dealer should not be entitled to any more than the screen price. If you haggle a deal for less, then that is between you and the dealer, but why should someone be able to offer something for a fixed figure, then be able to bump that price up with a hidden fee.

If they want to charge an admin fee, it should be included in the screen price, so that £19,000 would include the admin fee.

I remember the 70's and 80's where you would buy something, then find out at the till that you had to pay VAT on top of the tag price, until the government ruled that consumer goods needed to include VAT in the price. This was a clever way for retailers to make themselves look more competitive than the competition, even if they weren't.

As for the two car supermarkets, if you want to buy from either of them, negotiate a price that includes their so called admin fee, and stick to your guns. In other words, the price you agree is the price you pay, and not a penny more.