E350 having a hissy fit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I would be tackling MB Head Office on this because an external sensor should be sealed against moisture ingress and they are obviously not fit for purpose. They should at least contribute something. Also I would be taking them to task as to why it required 3 diagnostic sessions to determine that the sensors were faulty - is there a competency issue with the dealer that you ended up paying for?

One option I have used in the past very successfully is to go into the dealer showroom on a Saturday morning with invoice in hand, when it is nice and busy with prospective buyers and explain the situation to a salesman, pointing out how disappointed you are with your Mercedes and the service you have received from such a prestigious marque - all done with a loud and clear voice.

Last edited:
I would be tackling MB Head Office on this because an external sensor should be sealed against moisture ingress and they are obviously not fit for purpose. They should at least contribute something. Also I would be taking them to task as to why it required 3 diagnostic sessions to determine that the sensors were faulty - is there a competency issue with the dealer that you ended up paying for?

One option I have used in the past very successfully is to go into the dealer showroom on a Saturday morning with invoice in hand, when it is nice and busy with prospective buyers and explain the situation to a salesman, pointing out how disappointed you are with your Mercedes and the service you have received from such a prestigious marque - all done with a loud and clear voice.

I had a follow up call this morning( well my hubby did)... we expressed our disappointment at the cost on a car that has only done just shy of 25000 miles... we were satisfied with time it took them to repair and service but it is a bitter pill that the cost was so high.

Lesson learned, I’d rather just put it down to experience and move on... and hope and pray that it doesn’t happen again... I will certainly be looking for an alternative to the main dealer in future... we are not made of money and worked really hard to get our car in the first place, I never expected it to be causing headaches so soon... my last e class ( E500 05) never missed a beat in all the time I had it.

Thanks All
Sarah

They have never charged you £700 + for a straight forward B service:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: That's an outrageous amount!!!!

Glad you got sorted in the end but what a crappy experience for you!
Natacha

Sarah

Thanks for posting that - here is some comments which I hope are helpful ...

The blind spot assist sensors are inside the rear bumper on left and right. They do have one of the car's CANbus network connected to them - and if they have got damaged (wet) it is possible they do put "crap" on the network and stop the car starting - they are about £550 each also as you have discovered :-(. The wiring loom is the bumper wiring loom that connects the sensors and parking sensors to the rest of the car.

You can not use "used" sensors on the newer cars, so I suspect they same is true on those. On the latest W213 that have the VIN stored in them and you can't update it.

So, with the further info you have posted, it does seem to me that what they described is actually possible.

I hope you have no more issues with your car, and that it is enjoyable in the future !

Cheers

Richard

They have never charged you £700 + for a straight forward B service:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: That's an outrageous amount!!!!

Glad you got sorted in the end but what a crappy experience for you!
Natacha
They have... they won’t again

You can not use "used" sensors on the newer cars, so I suspect they same is true on those. On the latest W213 that have the VIN stored in them and you can't update it.

I can see that with more and more expensive electronic gimmicks, not really doing anything terribly much to enhance the driving experience, in modern cars, this might be an attempt to reduce theft of cars to strip for parts, but does anybody know whether there is any sort of technical reason for this? Do other makers do it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom