e350 or jag XF 3.0

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have a test drive for the e350 on Sunday so I'll let you know how I get on

This is all very disappointing to hear - quite like the XF - it's on the list :(

Stupid question but can someone give me a breakdown on the different models I see some with231 bhp others 265 then on the net 306bhp

I have a test drive for the e350 on Sunday so I'll let you know how I get on

^ I bet you won't be dissapointed,performance & mpg in one.:)

Stupid question but can someone give me a breakdown on the different models I see some with231 bhp others 265 then on the net 306bhp

If you're buying brand new 350 CDi, it'll be a 265bhp.

I think Mercedes have been doing that power in the V6 for about a year now, before that it was 231bhp.

The 306bhp figure is with the Brabus chip.

^ I bet you won't be dissapointed,performance & mpg in one.:)

absolutely! i've had mine (sorry, ours :eek:) a couple of days & i'm absolutely in awe of it - potential to be a rocketship & over 30mpg on my regular driving. my CLK280 was no slouch but it only got 22-25mpg daily driving.

i'm sure you'll love the E350 :)

pagzzy said:

306 will be the petrol engine

Thanks I have seen a used one with 231 bhp that looks good but thoughts on the 265bhp would there is a noticeable difference also in the exterior look of the car .

Petrol seems nice but haven't seen. Many about .. Never had a diesel car anything I should be aware of before the test drive

Took the E350 230 bhp, sport out today. What a car, great pick up all through the gears, all the way through to 'national speed limit' and great to use the paddles. The car is much more balanced in the corners , and turns in when you want it too, quiet, responsive and generally a great car. It's fast but I also think it could do with another turbo to make it more effortless.

Got into the E220 170 bhp sport straight after, obviously a great deal noisier , (turn the stereo up louder!!) through the gears and when pressing on, but still actually felt quite quick. turn in was poor, whether it's due to the weight of the 350 I don't know as the dealer tells me the suspension and setup is the same, but it doesn't change direction as fast as the 350, but still a nice drive, But doesn't install the confidence when pressing on like the 350.

Everything inside just like the c class, just seems to work better than the xf.

A few decisions to make!

This is part of a post I put on for another thread E v CLS etc, some of it may be of help, also believe build of Jags not too good, saw some quite roopy 2 year olds on forecourts before plumping for CLS!

Just moved (6 months now) from 350cdi E Coupe pevious I think 231 bpi to ex demo new 350cdi 265 bpi W218cdi CLS. The E was a lovely car but was getting tedious to get in and out, (Think about all that baby stuff!!!!) had to drive around every car park to find a wideish space only to find the next car who had come in had got a bit too close so difficult to open drivers door wide enough to get back in! It must have one of the widest doors on almost any car manufactured. Getting people or our little dog in the back was a nightmare. The new CLS, is a brilliant car, the improved engine more refined, gearbox very good and I'm getting over 40 to the gallon! At present running on Shell power????? diesel, they had an offer on a couple weeks ago, seems to increase MPG to about 42.5. (This next bit was for the CLS man) - If you like your current CLS take it from me, hold on to it as long as you can until you can afford to trade for the W218 - you won't regret it!

Last edited:
Went for the test drive today. It was a e350 Cdi coupe 2011. Have to say lovely image exterior looked good. Interior was as expected nice and functional. As you guys have mentioned the space isn't ideal.
With a diesel it was noticeable I kept imagining a rattling sound constantly. It had the stop start system which I found annoying. The acceleration is good smooth ride. By the end I did like it, refined and had the speed when you wanted it .

I think a saloon version would be better suited for what I want. But I think the only downside is e residuals on my Car. It just feels I have just bent over... Really

All in all the e350 is nice ....

XF is a dog, reliability is poor, build quality bad bits just fall off at random especially the exhaust panel, I've lost 2 of these so far when driving the XF. The interior is a nice place to be though:thumb:

On a separate note had a XJ as a rental last week and it suffers exactly the same problems as the XF, 3450 miles on the clock and the autobox failed on me:eek:

Jaguar = great Interiors but cr*p build quality and reliability

What would you expect its a Ford in a party frock :eek:

I purchased the e350 coupe last March, fantastic car but does not go well with young children, so much so that i got rid and got a c220 sport instead. The c class has had problems with the rear indicator and for the last 4 weeks I have been driving an E250 AG, compared to the coupe....hate it. Feel like I am sat on it rather than in it. C350 sport estate would be a good shout.

Off Topic: On my 3rd Facelift C-Class, and each one has had a new light cluster. The first one was a headlight, second two were tail lights. Those bloody LED indicators!!!

On Topic: XF is a great looking car, have only driven an XFR (and dare I say that it knocks the spots off the E63) and it feels a lot more special than the E-Class inside. You get a lot of car for the money, but residual values aren't great so cost of ownership over a 3 year period is more than an E-Class. You can now get a new E350 saloon or estate for the same price as a 250 at the moment because there are a few lying about. New VW Golf Discount, New Audi, Mercedes, Toyota Discount New Cars - Used Cars for Sale: Volkswagen, Audi, Mercedes, Toyota have some stupid deals on at the moment.

MB very kindly dropped off an E250 AG CDi for me to play around with this week. First impressions are very good - don't see what the problems with the seats are, except that they do seem a tad narrower than my current ones.

Still waiting for JLR to come back with a XF Sport to play with...

Mr E said:
MB very kindly dropped off an E250 AG CDi for me to play around with this week. First impressions are very good - don't see what the problems with the seats are, except that they do seem a tad narrower than my current ones.

Still waiting for JLR to come back with a XF Sport to play with...

They don't go low enough and are too short on the base. Fine for a under 6ft chap not for an over. I've got back issues and a loan of a 212 set them off. Shame as bar the seating and slightly too light steering it was pretty much perfect

They don't go low enough and are too short on the base. Fine for a under 6ft chap not for an over. I've got back issues and a loan of a 212 set them off. Shame as bar the seating and slightly too light steering it was pretty much perfect

I'm 5'11", with major back issues, and did a couple of hundred miles at a stretch yesterday with no issues. Perhaps they've been tweaked recently - they go low enough so that my shoulder is almost level with the bottom of the window! Also more room available in the back according to the kids, and gave 4 colleagues a lift to get their opion too - they were inpressed with the room available. And Mrs E got a month's Tesco shopping in the boot - mind you, we hadn't been to the shoe or handbag shops.... :)

I agree on the steering tho - the journey back was through the lanes and it left the impression of being a bit "numb" at the front. It turns in fine, and was very capable of barrelling into corners at higher speeds than I expected, but didn't inspire immediate confidence when pressing on.

Love the gearbox - was very careful having read all the negative comments on here but I can't fault it. No delay off the line (in either mode), and even the stop/start seemed to be the fastest-reacting one I've driven (which I was surprised at given as it's a diesel).

Only gripe was that the central controls don;t seem very well lit - I like my instruments to be lit quite low but, even tweaking the ambient lighting to the max, I couldn't get it qute to my liking. Doesn't seem quite as "plush" as the current 211 somehow, but all seems well screwed together. Even the APS50 fitted (sans HK upgrade) seemed very good, so I'll have to debate whether the cost of the COMAND upgrade from that is worth it.

Car arrived with 1300 miles on - yesterday morning's mpg was up in the high 50's (motorway / dual carriageway) and the journey home through the lanes gave me 39 (current S220 just about scrapes 50 / 34 on the same journey).

Will be doing a bit of town driving later, so we'll see how that goes. Apart from the little gripes it ticks all my boxes, so the XF will have a hard act to follow. Jag dealer emailed today to say they'll have a Sport available in about 2 weeks, so I'll talk to JLR a bit later today and see what they can sort out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom