E350 W212 19" Wheels Dicoloured & Pitted!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

55NF

Car
BMW / Golf GTD MK8
I collected my W212 E Class from the main Mercedes dealer 8 weeks ago. It was pristine including the wheels. Cleaned it today & the wheels have become discoloured over 1500 miles & they're pitted. Black marks & spots will not clean off. They've obviously been refurbed, but it is poor job that has been done. I haven't approached the dealer in question yet as it;s Saturday night.... although I will do Monday AM.

Anyone else had this happen on an approved used Mercedes Benz?

They are shocking
If it is from a main dealer you will have 12 months warranty so best they sort it out. Surprised they are not open on a Sunday

They are shocking
If it is from a main dealer you will have 12 months warranty so best they sort it out. Surprised they are not open on a Sunday

It is a main MB dealer but service won't be open sunday. Bearing mind these are the wheels in cleaned condition, they're bad!

Strange that this affects the wheel centres as well as the alloys.

Ted said:
Strange that this affects the wheel centres as well as the alloys.

Good point had not crossed my mind further investigation required:)

Some thing has been in contact with the wheels, i doubt they've been refurbished.

Looks like something caustic has been splashed up it ?

That looks to me like cheap alloy wheel cleaner that's been left on the wheel and not cleaned off

That looks to me like cheap alloy wheel cleaner that's been left on the wheel and not cleaned off

If that was the case it would have been evident at the handover when I collected the car 8 weeks or so ago.

Not acceptable over 8 weeks use, it does look like some sort of chemical reaction, it will be interesting to hear what the dealer has to say.

If that was the case it would have been evident at the handover when I collected the car 8 weeks or so ago.

I take it you haven't used any chemicals on them? Will be interesting to see what the dealer says.

First wash, no chemicals used; although even if I had the result should not look like this after 8 weeks. Just a light wash with Autoglym shampoo & conditioner is all I use. On close inspection it looks like they've all been refurbed.

That's not come off the tyrewall dressing that they've used by any chance? Having said that, there shouldn't be any pitting if that was the case; only staining which should rub off with a solvent.

Let us know what they say after they've seen it.

Ernie

They've had a cheap refurb - the affected area has been rubbed down and then laquered over. You can see the difference in reflection, if they were acid dipped and then refaced, the reflection would be consistent across the entired face.

Not the end of the world, just need to be sent off and done properly. The centre caps are more of a coincidence and not related in anyway.

4 x refurbs will be approx £450 inc vat and 4 x wheel centres approx £100 - get onto them asap and good luck.

Also, the area around the centre cap has been painted silver in the past looking at the photo (this is common as they corrode there and dealers dont want to spend 100's just for a bit of corrosion that can be 'hidden' by painting)

This area should be diamond cut like the rest of the spokes.

Your arguement should be the fact that they've had 1/2 or even 3 'smart' repairs that are not consistant standards and you want them sent off. The wheels will come back like new.

Also, the area around the centre cap has been painted silver in the past looking at the photo (this is common as they corrode there and dealers dont want to spend 100's just for a bit of corrosion that can be 'hidden' by painting)

This area should be diamond cut like the rest of the spokes.

Your arguement should be the fact that they've had 1/2 or even 3 'smart' repairs that are not consistant standards and you want them sent off. The wheels will come back like new.

Thanks for the info. The dealer called me immediately after I sent an e mail with pics. They're refurbishing all four wheels & providing a loan car for a day or two.

Let's just hope they're done properly this time. I can only presume a quick rush job had been done on these to get it ready for the forecourt.

Good news!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom