E350 (W212) BlueTEC or BlueEfficiency

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Forest Athlete

Car
W210
Hello Everyone,

I'm hoping to return to the MB fold after a 6 year absense, and would like some advice on the E350 diesel estate 2009-2016.
Looking at website reviews such as Parkers and Honestjohn, I'm confused as to the benefits of the BlueTEC or BlueEfficiency.
I understand that the BlueTEC engine has lower carbon emissions, but does it have a smaller lugguage compartment as a consequence?
Also, were these models sold symultaneously, or was the BlueTEC a replacement for the BlueEfficiency model?

Any other differences would be good to know.

And on another topic, stupid question; why is there such a price difference between a used E220/E300 and the E350? Surely it cannot just be engine size?

Thanks

The BlueEfficiency and BlueTEC cars were available concurrently. The difference is that the BlueTEC ones have an AdBlu system which reduces NOx emissions, but increases CO2 emissions and increases fuel consumption. They are also down about 30bhp vs the 265bhp BlueEfficiency cars.

As for the price difference, the world is (relatively speaking) full of E220's while the E350 is much less plentiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlueTEC is about 10 bhp down. And a little bit slower to 60, if that really matters in today's world where the limit on the motorway is only 70 anyway. Tax bands are the same either way. It all comes down to your budget, preference of pre and post lift, and which options you would like. Only real difference is the AdBlue tank in the boot which will need filling up at service time as well.

BlueTEC is EuroVI compliant and BlueEfficiency are EuroV. Given that there is a general trend from the governments against diesel and EuroVI might be the only ones allowed in city centres in the near future, I'd buy the BlueTEC.

Having said that I have a BlueEfficiency and its a great car.

No the Bluetec doesn't have a smaller luggage compartment, it also doesn't have a spare wheel, the spare space is taken by the bluetec tank, but you do get an electric tyer pump and a can of Tyer sealant. :doh:

BlueTEC is EuroVI compliant and BlueEfficiency are EuroV. Given that there is a general trend from the governments against diesel and EuroVI might be the only ones allowed in city centres in the near future, I'd buy the BlueTEC.

Having said that I have a BlueEfficiency and its a great car.

Oh yeah and the minor technicallity of Euro compliance. I doubt anything will affect me where I live, and if it does we will cross that bridge when we get to it. Huntingdon council should probably be more worried about the state of the roads than Euro 5 and older diesels.

im looking to buy a 350 convertable 12 reg upwards, would those in the know recommend blue efficency type, i currently have a couple of old 320 cabrios, ones spares, and the other has been sat for a while runs nice engine but struggles moving auto box i think thanks in advance

Just bought a 350 CDI Blue Eff estate - 2011, 70,000 miles. Previous owner had an A service, brake fluid change in February. I have found the parking brake does not hold the car on incline or against transmission creep and very noisy from front at speed. Poor fuel consumption. Going in for independent MOT preparation.
It had a new rear subfrme under warranty and came with full MB service history.
Any views on best tyres for this model (different front and rear) and good AMG alloy wheel refurbisher in East Surrey ?
Thanks.

To clarify, BlueEFFICIENCY is the name given by Mercedes Benz to a range of fuel saving features, that were applied to both Diesel and Petrol cars.

BlueTEC is the name given by Mercedes Benz to Diesel engines equipped with AdBlue injection into the exhaust system to meet EU6 emissions standards.

A 350 CDI may or may not be BlueEFFICIENCY (depending on age), but it will certainly not be AdBlue - which is a good thing, because the AdBlue system can be very problematic.

In short, BlueEFFICIENCY good, BlueTEC bad.

Just bought a 350 CDI Blue Eff estate - 2011, 70,000 miles. Previous owner had an A service, brake fluid change in February. I have found the parking brake does not hold the car on incline or against transmission creep and very noisy from front at speed. Poor fuel consumption. Going in for independent MOT preparation.
Any views on best tyres for this model (different front and rear) and good AMG alloy wheel refurbisher in East Surrey ?
Thanks.
I don’t have a staggered set up on mine but I’m currently using Bridgestone Turanza 6. I normally go for Eagle F1 but wanted more of a quiet touring tyre for the barge. Very impressed so far. For a short while I had a couple of Dunlop SportMaxx RT2 but had a successful warranty claim against them from cracking.

Thanks.
How did the car pass an MOT with a defective parking brake ? Or is it that the subframe work had caused the problem with the parking brake ?
What do you mean by noisy from front at speed ?

One of these MOTs! :)

1710320997811.png

I knew a guy with a Caterham track day weapon that he has spent over 40K on.....but it had no handbrake....."passed" the MOT every year though. Effectively he did have a "handbrake".....but it was just a line lock to the rear wheels. Push your foot on the brake, hit the line lock and rear rear wheels stay locked after you lift off the pedal. But technically thats a fail as handbrakes have to be mechanical (whether cable or electrically operated) to pass the test....not hydraulic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom