E350 W212 Command / Media Identification

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimthatcher

Car
E350
I've spent the last few hours trying to get my head around all the different versions and I'm still none the wiser!

I'm looking to buy a (late)2010-2012 E350 Sport saloon and simply can't figure out what's what from advert photographs and descriptions.
It seems to me that most of these cars have Command Satnav (PCMCIA slot) and the Audio 20 console (NTG4?) and some have the newer (NTG4.5?) console with an SDCard.

Does anyone know of a simple way of telling or a descriptive site that explains all the options that were available on these cars. I'm still unsure of how the NTG-ness, the Audio 20/50 and the Command bits all fit together to be one system (is it one component, two or three?!) and the fact that there may be a "more simple navigation" option that isn't Command makes it even more confusing.

I'd like to make sure that I can make/receive phone calls and stream music over bluetooth before travelling half way across the country to look at a car. I'd like (but its not vital) the Command Sat Nav as as far as I can tell, the screen is a fair bit nicer and it all looks a lot better with 3D navigation (which I think the non-command Navigation systems don't have).

For example, what is this? It's advertised as an Audio 50 with DVD player and command but I suspect it's a NTG4.5 unit with Navigation 50 and no command (basic nav).
5nr5tl.jpg

Hopefully that all makes sense! I'm sure I'm asking a relatively common question but unfortunately I can't get my head round it all and it's driving me crazy!

Thanks so much in advance

From what I understand :

The NTG4 and NTG4.5 seem to differentiate with the PCMCIA and SDCard (and year of the car obviously)
The Audio 20/50 seem to differentiate with a combination of slightly larger buttons either side and above the CD/DVD slot and a variety of CD/DVD/Changer options.
The Satnav seems to be either Command or a more basic version that can be integrated with either of the Audio 20/50 units.

How it all fits together I'm not sure and if I'm (roughly) correct about the above, how to tell what Satnav/other options it has just by looking seems very tricky!

Command's ****e, chose the car you like, not the antique media centre.

Command's ****e, chose the car you like, not the antique media centre.

But the problem is, if you want the basics, like bluetooth audio or even a media interface you need to know what is in the car, and to be blunt until around 2014 Mercedes were about 5 years behind everyone else, I'm sure the board of directors were still arguing that Merc customers would probably rather a gramaphone than be able to hook up their phones for music.

It is also the hardest brand on the planet to add kit to, having to code it all with Star and no one with Star apart from a handful of people around the UK knowing how to code it, makes it even worse.

Then there is the fact there is no hacking/coding scene, with VAG/BMW etc. there are groups dedicated to adding the latest hardware to older cars, you can buy a 2003 5 Series and put the latest 2015 Nav system into it with work arounds and it all works 100% like it came from the factory. Put a 2012 NTG4.5 into a 2011 car and chances are it won't work, it might, but also might not.

Combine that with the adverts that say "Comand with Audio 20" or "Audio 50 with bluetooth" and you really have no clue what you're getting as the seller has no clue what they are selling.

It is a nightmare.

Oh, and the real clue that it has comand is the 3D maps, but most sellers take a picture with the map in 2D mode!!!! :wallbash:
Plus they never mention if the Media interface it fitted or not.

Post # 8 at :
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/electronics/197686-w212-e-class-how-check-if-has-comand.html

Maybe it's a simple as this? PCMCIA/SD Slot = Command

Thanks Gizze, it's exactly that! I'm well aware that in-car media and satnav is nothing compared to an old phone but like Alf said, I will be buying the car - It's simply an extension of the preparation.
I would really like music and telephone through the audio system and would have to budget and potentially compromise for aftermarket solutions to this.

As I'm shopping around I want to be sure on everything, including the "little things".

As I said, I'm mostly interested in bluetooth streaming (audio and phone) if it's possible, I'll assume the above and go and scour some manuals.

Thank you everyone for your responses, it's much appreciated.

If you have the media intoface you can add a Tune2Air to get bluetooth streaming, but many cars up to 2013 still have just an aux input.

If its a W212 or a W207 with COMAND, you can get Bluetooth Audio Streaming and 7 digit postcode - be that NTG4 or NTG4.5 - you may have to visit Alfie to have the software/etc updated to enable it for NTG4 though (although once we found a unit we couldn't update).

Richard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom