E350CDI Fuel Economy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ROBB71

Car
E Class Coupe 350CDI
Took the car on it's first long trip yesterday from Wigan - Newbury and back again (around 184 miles each way). It is a E Class Coupe 350CDI and is just a few weeks old with about 600 miles on the clock.

Route back covered the following:

A34 - Mostly 70-80 Leptons apart from the odd bit of heavy traffic and 50mph around Oxford and as you reached the M40

M40 - Clear run travelling at between 70-80 leptons

M42 - Travelling at a steady 60mph as per matrix signs

M6 - 20 minutes of crawling traffic around Birmingham otherwise 70-80 leptons the rest of the way

M6 to home - 6 miles on A & B roads

Overall fuel economy on the trip (per the computer so may be optimistic) was 50.5 mpg.

Must admit was pretty impressed with this, given size of engine and car. Not trying to drive particularly economically although being sensible and also with the air-con on and the stop-start stuff switched off.....:)

What are others getting with this engine?

If you can be bothered, Fuelly is a great tool for keeping tabs on your real world fuel economy (see my sig for a link)

On mine i am a bit heavier on the throttle and mine has 900 miles and on a similar my trip computer is showing 45

The OBG is way over, I have done the fill-up tank and set trip then fill up and divide one by another - at least 6 miles too optimistic. Also whole point of 350 over 250 and 220 is that it is faster, so drive it that way and my MPG on the OBG on a similar route is 40MPG so 34 MPG in reality - still damm good given the speed and acceleration used. Before any petrol guys come in with why not get the 350 petrol - it was dearer and big diesels with their ease of urge (mid-range) are my preferred style rather than high revs.

I second Fuelly - also see my sig.

I also find the car computer in the region 15% optimistic.

My real mpgs are in the sig below - click and see - I'm still happy with over 40mpg average on mixed driving though.

Thanks for the tips re fuelly, will definately check that one out.

Even if the computer is 15% optimistic still impressed, particularly coming from an Audi A5 2.0T petrol car that struggled to do 30mpg.......will be interesting to see how it changes as the engine loosens up

Have saloon ( bit bigger and different chassis- probably thirstier). Cannot get anywhere near 50 mpg unless on constant slow motorway speeds. Usually 35-38mpg. However the 80 l tank helps. Still get >500 miles between fill ups and over £100 each time:(

Overall fuel economy on the trip (per the computer so may be optimistic) was 50.5 mpg.

That's impressive. I've just managed to squeeze 50.5 mpg out of my S211 E220 CDI on my morning commute, but that took some intense eco-driving:

Attachments

• Photo-0067.jpg
    Photo-0067.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 98
did a 60-mile run yesterday evening to sheffield and back - some twistys, some motorway/dual carriageway and maybe toyed with some at a few sets of lights and got 36mpg :crazy:

The OBG is way over, I have done the fill-up tank and set trip then fill up and divide one by another - at least 6 miles too optimistic. Also whole point of 350 over 250 and 220 is that it is faster, so drive it that way and my MPG on the OBG on a similar route is 40MPG so 34 MPG in reality - still damm good given the speed and acceleration used. Before any petrol guys come in with why not get the 350 petrol - it was dearer and big diesels with their ease of urge (mid-range) are my preferred style rather than high revs.

I've got the new 350 petrol with stop/start. Yes it was more expensive but in terms of smoothness and refinement no comparison with the diesel at all. Only had the car for a couple of weeks but will be doing first long run next week and so will report back on the economy.

I've had my E350Cdi Sport Saloon for 10 days now and covered 650miles. Best MPG on the OBC was 47.1 on a mixed run mainly a-roads and motorway, including some urban motorway around Glasgow.The route distance was around 150 miles. Since the car was new I was being extremely gentle with the throttle

General running in and out to the office and some heavy throttle work reduced the average to 39.8mpg on the OBC. Refuelling today gave a calculated average of 36.4mpg so my OBC is optimistic as well.

I have found sport mode and the a/c reduce the average a fair bit when on a trip. Not too troubled at mid to high 30's though, last car was a Jaguar XJ8 3.5 petrol with an average mpg of 24.5mpg.

Interestingly on the petrol vs diesel point, I find the power delivery on the diesel more usable in real life, and the E class, as well as being quicker than the Jaguar on paper, feels faster in real life.

I do love this car.

Mike

Can people do a brim to brim calculation to confirm their readings, I'm interested to know the real mpg of these cars.

Can people do a brim to brim calculation to confirm their readings, I'm interested to know the real mpg of these cars.

Watch my signature from Saturday onwards as it will be showing my real MPG figures based on brim to brim settings.

This is why I use Fuelly and if you click the link below you can see the sorts of stats it gives. Nice and accurate and with the mobile site, it means I can enter the details as I fill up so it is always bang up to date.

I am looking forward to comparing the new car with the old one as I am really looking for better MPG

E350 mpg

Hi.
I'm new to the site and new to using forums.
I recently purchased a E350CDI Sport (2009).
I'm amazed how good this car is but after just completing a 590 mile round trip, I was bit disappointed to get only 32.5 MPG, I must admit that the engine is amazing but I drove in the same style I do when using my GOLF 2.0 GTTDI and That usually gives me about 55 MPG for same journey.
I'm a bit disappointed with the fuel consumption, bug the smile on my face after the journey makes up for it.
What a brilliant car.
Just curious if this is roughly the MPG I should expect, or is something wrong with my recent purchase, bought from Merc Direct so covered by warranty.

I get those kinds of figures on a long run if I am going consistently fast (90 ish) in traffic where I am constantly accelerating to regain speed. Less hurried driving most of the time gets me 38 ish on a run, and low 40s if I am very relaxed and stick to 70, with the RPM steady around 1600. 2000 miles fully loaded, air con on, with cruise control at 85-90 to the south of France and back gave an average of 34.5.

Others on here, probably better drivers than me, have reported better economy than this.

The car is capable of pretty good economy but IMO really punishes you for driving outside the optimal band for economy.

Seems right to me as I had a 2010 E-class 350CDI and got about 32MPG on the OBC. I now have a BMW X5 Diesel and it's OBC seems to always show the average mpg as 32, although the analogue actual flips up and down as you accelerate. Even after a spell at 130mph on the autobahn it still shows average 32mpg. OBCs are just a guide, better of brim to brim and work it out yourself if you are bothered.

Last edited:
I get those kinds of figures on a long run if I am going consistently fast (90 ish) in traffic where I am constantly accelerating to regain speed. Less hurried driving most of the time gets me 38 ish on a run, and low 40s if I am very relaxed and stick to 70, with the RPM steady around 1600. 2000 miles fully loaded, air con on, with cruise control at 85-90 to the south of France and back gave an average of 34.5.

Others on here, probably better drivers than me, have reported better economy than this.

The car is capable of pretty good economy but IMO really punishes you for driving outside the optimal band for economy.

Cruise control is not the way to achieve the best fuel consumption. I suspect if you hadn't used it you would have noticed a significant difference

I had heard that. Actually I find in uk traffic conditions it is rarely practical to use CC, so that trip to France was the first time I had used it to any great extent. I was mainly thinking about the gendarmerie as on those open roads there can be a temptation to press on and catch up with the next group of cars!

Out of interest what is the reason for CC being less efficient - is it just that it does not make sensible use of gravity etc and accelerates too much on hills to maintain speed?

BigSilverEstate said:
I had heard that. Actually I find in uk traffic conditions it is rarely practical to use CC, so that trip to France was the first time I had used it to any great extent. I was mainly thinking about the gendarmerie as on those open roads there can be a temptation to press on and catch up with the next group of cars!

Out of interest what is the reason for CC being less efficient - is it just that it does not make sensible use of gravity etc and accelerates too much on hills to maintain speed?

There's a mega thread on this subject but I never use it so can't help on this one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom