E350d 2018 juddering

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sleekpeek26

Car
Mercedes E350d Premium Line plus convertible
I own a 2018 model E350d convertible with 19k miles. It recently had its first Mot and a service.

Since the above, the car judders intermittently sometimes around 40mph, sometimes 30mph, but usually when doing a consistent speed not when accelerating or decelerating. The juddering is sometimes mild and sometimes quite a jolt. It also happens when using cruse control. You can feel it through the steering wheel and accelerator pedal.

The car is not registering any faults and Mercedes cannot tell me what the issue is. They are trying to blame my front wheels saying they have flat spots.

I know 100% that the car did not have an issue before the service/MOT and I noticed the fault straight away on the drive home. The car is with the dealer at the moment.

Someone else also reported the same issue to the dealer when I did too also after it was serviced by them.

Any suggestions?

I own a 2018 model E350d convertible with 19k miles. It recently had its first Mot and a service.

Since the above, the car judders intermittently sometimes around 40mph, sometimes 30mph, but usually when doing a consistent speed not when accelerating or decelerating. The juddering is sometimes mild and sometimes quite a jolt. It also happens when using cruse control. You can feel it through the steering wheel and accelerator pedal.

The car is not registering any faults and Mercedes cannot tell me what the issue is. They are trying to blame my front wheels saying they have flat spots.

I know 100% that the car did not have an issue before the service/MOT and I noticed the fault straight away on the drive home. The car is with the dealer at the moment.

Someone else also reported the same issue to the dealer when I did too also after it was serviced by them.

Any suggestions?
Having the wheels rebalanced by a tyre place would be a cheap check of the front wheels , I’m sure they would be able to detect a flat spot on the tyres (£25 ish ?)
Your MB service didn’t create a flat spot , has the car stood through Covid for extended periods ?

Did it have any software updates at the service?

The 3-year service is basically only an oil-change, unless they've altered the gearbox atf changes again and they've done that, but I doubt it.

Having the wheels rebalanced by a tyre place would be a cheap check of the front wheels , I’m sure they would be able to detect a flat spot on the tyres (£25 ish ?)
Your MB service didn’t create a flat spot , has the car stood through Covid for extended periods ?
It's been run at least once / twice per week for the past year.

Did it have any software updates at the service?

The 3-year service is basically only an oil-change, unless they've altered the gearbox atf changes again and they've done that, but I doubt it.
Am not sure. The car went back to the garage a week after the service to have the roof pulleys and headlining changed, plus a new shock absorber nearside front. The nearside front wheel has been welded about 4 weeks before the service, no difference though until after the service.

The car runs on 20" rims.

Am not sure. The car went back to the garage a week after the service to have the roof pulleys and headlining changed, plus a new shock absorber nearside front. The nearside front wheel has been welded about 4 weeks before the service, no difference though until after the service.

The car runs on 20" rims.
That puts a different perspective on it; I'd be looking closely at the new damper and the fns wheel, including the previous repair. If the wheels are all the same size, you could try swapping fns with a rear but I'd bet the answer lies with the repairs on the front nearside. Was the tyre repaired/replaced when the wheel was welded, an internal structural fault on the tyre?

Presumably they replaced both front shocks/dampers?

That puts a different perspective on it; I'd be looking closely at the new damper and the fns wheel, including the previous repair. If the wheels are all the same size, you could try swapping fns with a rear but I'd bet the answer lies with the repairs on the front nearside. Was the tyre repaired/replaced when the wheel was welded, an internal structural fault on the tyre?

The tyre was replaced one week before. The tyre on the offside about a mont before that - I've had ot

Only the nearside shock replaced. Other side was not leaking. Not sure about dampers as all done under warranty.

Tyre replaced 1 week before on nearside, offside was 1 month before. Lots of punctures in the past year.

Front and back tyre sizes are different.

Would it take a while for the fault to occur after the repair? Am trying to claim the £900 for a new wheel from the council. Its been 3 months now.

Thanks for replying.

Only the nearside shock replaced. Other side was not leaking. Not sure about dampers as all done under warranty.
I am unsure what parts you are referring to here?

You say the "nearside shock" was replaced but you are unsure about "dampers"

The Springs absorb the shock from the road surface and energy, the dampers control the Springs.

I am unsure what parts you are referring to here?

You say the "nearside shock" was replaced but you are unsure about "dampers"

The Springs absorb the shock from the road surface and energy, the dampers control the Springs.
As far as I'm aware they replaced the "nearside shock absorber", that's how they described it to me. I don't actually know what parts they replaced as don't have any paper work.

Could flat spots on wheels cause a judder and feeling that the car will stall. The sensation is like when driving a manual car when you are in the wrong gear. Hope that helps.

Ask the dealership if they made any software changes.

Many cars are effectively being remapped due to the manufacturers using cheating software to pass emissions tests.

In case you're slightly confused by various comments, shock absorbers/shocks and dampers are the same thing; the correct name is 'damper' but the vast majority of people call them shock absorbers. Good practice would normally be to replace either springs, or dampers/shock absorbers, brake discs etc. in matched pairs on the same axle, although I doubt that that is the cause of your problem.

Your description of the engine feeling as if it's about to stall could be engine / gearbox related, the only likely thing that might affect that after a basic oil service is if they applied a software, perhaps either an emissions or gearbox, update. Presumably it was an MB dealer? I'm fairly sure that your car wasn't due a gearbox fluid change at 3-years, so that (ie fluid level etc.) shouldn't be an issue.

Does it show the same symptoms if you put it in Sport mode?

In case you're slightly confused by various comments, shock absorbers/shocks and dampers are the same thing; the correct name is 'damper' but the vast majority of people call them shock absorbers.
Actually no, they are not the same.

They may be in common parlance but not in engineering or Physics terms.

As said, the spring absorbs shocks, the damper controls the spring motion to prevent unwanted ossillation.

Err...That's what the previous poster actually said, or at least, how I understood it.

Err...That's what the previous poster actually said, or at least, how I understood it.
Well, that's certainly what I meant :).

Perhaps I should have said "any references in this thread to 'shock absorber' and 'damper' are referring to the same item on the car, correctly termed a 'damper' but generally, and incorrectly, termed a 'shock absorber' " ;).

In case you're slightly confused by various comments, shock absorbers/shocks and dampers are the same thing; the correct name is 'damper' but the vast majority of people call them shock absorbers. Good practice would normally be to replace either springs, or dampers/shock absorbers, brake discs etc. in matched pairs on the same axle, although I doubt that that is the cause of your problem.

Your description of the engine feeling as if it's about to stall could be engine / gearbox related, the only likely thing that might affect that after a basic oil service is if they applied a software, perhaps either an emissions or gearbox, update. Presumably it was an MB dealer? I'm fairly sure that your car wasn't due a gearbox fluid change at 3-years, so that (ie fluid level etc.) shouldn't be an issue.

Does it show the same symptoms if you put it in Sport mode?
I will ask about any software updates. Thanks. See if they can roll it back to see if that fixes it.

I haven't been driving in sport due to too many pot holes around here, but will try that too.

Thanks for all your help it's been valuable.

Must have been a big pothole if it damaged the near side shock and cracked the near side wheel, my money is on a buckled wheel, these alloys are light but easily damaged with low profile tyres that don't absorb shock very well.
It may also be a bleb on the inside of the near side tyre that has began to grow, I would have thought the mot would have found any issues here though.
I seriously doubt a service would cause this issue, and does sound the roads are awful around you.

Must have been a big pothole if it damaged the near side shock and cracked the near side wheel, my money is on a buckled wheel, these alloys are light but easily damaged with low profile tyres that don't absorb shock very well.
It may also be a bleb on the inside of the near side tyre that has began to grow, I would have thought the mot would have found any issues here though.
I seriously doubt a service would cause this issue, and does sound the roads are awful around you.
It was a crater of a pot hole and the council are not getting any luck from the contractors. It is odd though that the issue didn't occur until after all the parts were "fixed" or replaced.

I love the car and really don't want to give it up yet, but am tempted by the new c class, it no news on when we can order one!

Thank you!

Any suggestions?
Hi all

The manager of the Mercedes service centre took the car home yesterday and left the vibration! They think it's an issue with the gearbox sync not knowing which gear to pick.

I will ask about any software updates. Thanks. See if they can roll it back to see if that fixes it.

I haven't been driving in sport due to too many pot holes around here, but will try that too.

Thanks for all your help it's been valuable.

Hi all

The manager of the Mercedes service centre took the car home yesterday and left the vibration! They think it's an issue with the gearbox sync not knowing which gear to pick.
Good to have someone else experience it.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom