E350d on 20” wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HB

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
C63 , E350 CDI, C320 CDI, SQ7
Looking at a slightly used car for the wife.

Seen some with 20” wheels and was looking to hear from members who have one in terms of ride quality. I know the 350 has air ride (tell me in what form) but haven’t had a chance to drive one yet.

Looking at a slightly used car for the wife.

Seen some with 20” wheels and was looking to hear from members who have one in terms of ride quality. I know the 350 has air ride (tell me in what form) but haven’t had a chance to drive one yet.

Sounds like it would be awful. Ride quality will resemble the Flintstones' car and it will slow the car down too. It takes much more power to turn a larger wheel, so slower and thirstier. And tyre prices will be through the roof as well as lasting no time at all.

Apart from that, a great idea!

What you got in mind Harry?

I’ve been eyeing this up:

I just found a great car on Auto Trader:

Auto Trader logo
Something like that but a saloon and definitely not white.
That car looks fabulous and would be great for you Ant. The 6 cylinder gives the car a totally different persona. I told my brother in law to go for the 430d as opposed to a 420d for hardly any more money and he thanks me every time I see him.

Last edited:
Sounds like it would be awful. Ride quality will resemble the Flintstones' car and it will slow the car down too. It takes much more power to turn a larger wheel, so slower and thirstier. And tyre prices will be through the roof as well as lasting no time at all.

Apart from that, a great idea!
You’re not wrong on many counts. I just need a more definitive answer from a trusted source. Problem is that the a lot of the premium plus cars have 20s on them. Once I find one I may even ask the dealer to do a swap from a car with 19s if they can.
We will see, just started looking. The other thing is , the current car is so dam good with nothing wrong with it at all. I also know that the 213 is not as solid feeling as the 212 but what does one do ? A 5 series? I’d rather go 12 rounds with Tyson. An A6? I’d rather go another 12 with mike tyson.

Why don't you consider the cls350cdi in coupe or even shooting brake guise I love mine (250cdi) and can't fault it
b44b6b4cfaa2c87f416a41795ac6f958.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

FWIW, I have a CLS 350 (218) it is not on air but is on 20"s. Guess what.....my doors haven't fallen off, my teeth haven't fallen out and they haven't bankrupt me either, my wife did leave me around the same time as my 20"s were fitted. Not sure if the two are connected though. :D

Mine drives absolutely fine, hasn't come to a grinding halt and still manages to go around corners just the same. I had 20's on my old CLS 55 too and that was on air, never had any issues with ride quality with that either. What I would say, on air it was less noticeable.

When I refer to terms of ride quality, I am comparing it to the 19" AMG wheels that were fitted to both vehicles as OEM, as in there was little to no difference.
If you are comparing 20" wheels with 17's then without doubt you would notice a difference but you already know that :)

Why don't you consider the cls350cdi in coupe or even shooting brake guise I love mine (250cdi) and can't fault it
b44b6b4cfaa2c87f416a41795ac6f958.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Ditto.

The W218 is an amazing piece of kit. As it happens, mine was specced with the 4.7l twin turbo petrol engine and 18" wheels (airmatic was standard) and it drives like a dream, magic carpet ride plus corners like it's on rails. And we can get a wardrobe in the back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom