E350d Terrible mpg SOLVED

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Daddyoftwo

Car
E350d A207
Hi

I have had my e350d cabriolet for a bit over a year and like it a lot except .... the mpg has been a disaster.

When I initially got it from the dealer I spoke to the previous owner who told me that he had part exchanged it because of the poor mpg.

I was struggling to get more than about 22mpg around town - often seeing 14.1mpg which was the minimum on the display - so it was often doing even worse. On a trip driving at 70mph on a motorway it was about 36mpg if I had feathers for feet.

I noticed that the temp guage went up to only 80°C so I tried to get the dealer to change it under their warranty as it's supposed to run at 95°C. They refused so eventually I paid to have it replaced by a Merc indie. Cost me a fortune. The old one had the rubber seal perished but couldn't get the money back on the Evans Halshaw guaranty (which had cost me £500) as they wouldn't answer the phone or reply to letters.

It now reached 95°C but economy was only marginally better. Due to not using the car much due to lockdown I had left it.

I just took it to get it TerraCleaned and the mechanic noticed that the cable hadn't been connected to the replacement thermostat.

Took it out for a short motorway run and got 59.6mpg. Driving around town got 32mpg.

Don't know how much is down the TerraClean and how much is down the thermostat being properly connected.

But what a difference.

No Evans Halshaw Ford main dealer (although incidentally they are part of Pendragon who own Stratstone who own Merc main dealers).

But I realised that at 8 years old when I got it, 2 prev owners and a FSH (but not Merc) it wasn't going to be going through a Merc main dealer and it was competitively priced and local. It is also pretty well mint condition.

But I definitely wouldn't buy another car from them. I was mistaken in thinking that I would get better service from a main dealer (even though not a Mercedes one)

Just wanted to state my experience in case another user has been getting terrible economy.

Last edited:
Had a 2.2d X type and got that terra cleaned and got truly mind blowing economy immediately afterwards (70mpg on a long run and then found out one of rear tyres had a slow puncture and was down to 20bar!!), but then it seemed to slip down to excellent and then just good over the next four years of ownership. I was just too busy to get it TerraCleaned again.

With this I don't know if it's the thermostat being reconnected or the TerraClean. I know that a lot of people call TC snake oil, but I've been bunging Redex into this merc almost every refuel, (ie when the £2 special offer was on in Tesco!!), without any obvious effect.

But if the mpg slips down again I'll get it TCed every 2 years.

Last edited:
Had a 2.2d X type and got that terra cleaned and got truly mind blowing economy immediately afterwards (70mpg on a long run and then found out one of rear tyres had a slow puncture and was down to 20bar!!)
I think you mean 20psi?
20 Bar is approximately 280 psi! 🤔

Sounds like an advert for Terraclean.
How did the thermostat register 95 degrees without being connected?
But agree fuel economy would definetly improve if thermostat was faulty, but to increase by 60% is pretty much unbelievable.

Ive ordered a new thermostat I'm only averaging 39 mpg in 9th gear over a 8 mile trip to work. With 14000 on the clock ,I guess it's pretty clean in there . I can't wait to get close to 60 mpg , the new stat will soon pay for itself ... Happy days 😘

I thought the 9g transmission only went into top gear above speeds of 74 mph ? So I would imagine 39mpg at that speed over a very short 8 mile trip is pretty good mpg anyway.
I think he was having a joke, you would need to change the engine not just the thermostat to get that mpg.

I thought the 9g transmission only went into top gear above speeds of 74 mph ? So I would imagine 39mpg at that speed over a very short 8 mile trip is pretty good mpg anyway.
Mine sees 9th before 74 . Those that don't , don't know how to make it so.

Ive ordered a new thermostat I'm only averaging 39 mpg in 9th gear over a 8 mile trip to work. With 14000 on the clock ,I guess it's pretty clean in there . I can't wait to get close to 60 mpg , the new stat will soon pay for itself ... Happy days 😘
It probably takes 5 of those 8 miles to warm up ? ;)

It does , thank God for heated seats . Anyway I've ordered up 2 thermostat s , I'm fitting them in parallel , so should see 120 mpg easily .
You will need to fit them in series and leave off the sensor wire, also wear a copper bracelet and Hopi candles or will only get 118 mpg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom