E36 AMG reg up for sale

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Palfrem

MB Enthusiast
Car
W124 E36 AMG, G 300 GEL his, SLK 200 hers
I see in this month's Mercedes Club Gazette, that this reg number is up for sale...

...for an asking price of £12,500.00!

Given the very small number of cars that this reg would look good on, surely this will never sell at anywhere close to that kind of money.

EDIT.

Just had a look on "How many left" and there are maybe 31 cars taxed or SORN

Last edited:
I've thought this for a while now - I remember 20 years ago when I had an Astra GTE 16V, you could buy GTE 16V for a tidy sum. Can't imagine it is worth much at all now.

Car model registrations probably have a very high elasticity of demand when compared to other types.

If you were the one deciding on models, you could make a fortune buying up all the plates and then bringing out the model!

I suppose if your initials are EEG and you like AMGs, there might be a bit more interest, but not a lot.

Couldn't agree more! It is worth as much as someone is prepared to pay for it, and you would have to be barking mad to pay £3k for that plate (IMO), let alone the asking price. For that asking price, a dateless 4 digit plate is what I would be looking at, not something which is so car specific.
It was sold at auction for £1200 in March 2000. you would of course have the associated VAT and transfer fee added to that sold amount, which would be more of a realistic asking price.

You could a nice E36 for that money,the seller is dreaming

Exactly.

I've seen the plate in question on a pre-facelift W210 E36 locally, as it happens.

I guess the price is optimistic, but then as anyone selling cars (and probably plates too) will know, so are many of the offers!

You'd probably feel better paying £3k for a plate that was being asked £12.5k for, rather than paying £3k for a plate that was sold for £1200 before.

I didn't realise you could look at historic prices of DVLA auctions.
Earlier this year I bought C36 AMG, last night I nervously entered the reg on DVLA, was happy/surprised to see I paid less than the original guy did. :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom