E36 Cabriolet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Rare hardtop on the red one, It does look very nice with the hard top fitted.

Was it J A Haynes who had that red E36 for sale a while ago? That is lovely.

Also the one covered in the topic is a lovely car. I personally think these cars are worth the money being asked.

If you look at £22k and think "what else can I buy for that level of money?", then sure it looks expensive.
But to a collector or a Mercedes fantatic who is after one of these, the price comparsion, to other things they could buy a that price, becomes nullified.

It's a lovely car, and IMO, dark green suits the 124 very well :thumb:

Darren

^ if someone wants it and got the reddies for it then why not!

agree, forget about what else you can get with 20 bags.

It does seem expensive, but then a new C class with a four pot diesel, man made leather (Vinyl) seats and orange peel paint sells for 35k + new, so suddenly 20K + for a mint E36 Cab doesn't seem as bad as I once thought. I still thin the estate looks better though.

Having never driven a W124 cab, I wonder if the chassis can actually handle 276bhp? I would imagine it's more of a cruiser than a car for enthusiastic driving anyway. A well specced E320 sportline would seem to me a much better prospect.

Price for cars like these is not determined by reference to what modern car you could buy for £25K. People buying these cars tend to be looking for something out of the ordinary or are MB enthusiasts. Buy a modern car for £25K and in 3 years time it will be worth £10 - 12.5K whereas an E36 should hold its value and may even appreciate.
The problem with all these E36 would appear to be that they all need major parts replacing which means not only do you have to budget for the purchase cost but also I would guess for £10-15K in refurbish costs.

Chassis wise the W124 Cabriolet is more of a cruiser but with Sportline suspension that car handles very well. I have never driven an E36 Cabriolet but I would imagine that 272bhp would be no problem for the chassis - my E320 Cabriolet Sportline with 220+bhp handles well.

Driven properly a five speed auto E320 Sportline Cabriolet with no CAT on an open unrestricted road WILL give a Ducati Streetfighter a run for its money. These cars are not just cruisers, they are more than capable of surprising the biking fraternity and not just over a short piece of road either!!

Could not agree more re the differed maintenance the selling owner's have enjoyed. The new owner/s definitely need to be aware they WILL need a reasonably major refit to bring them into the condition they seem to suggest they are in by the bright shiny pictures. Only cars below 70,000 miles will be reasonably fresh without major works having being undertaken, and even then.........

Driven properly a five speed auto E320 Sportline Cabriolet with no CAT on an open unrestricted road WILL give a Ducati Streetfighter a run for its money. These cars are not just cruisers, they are more than capable of surprising the biking fraternity and not just over a short piece of road either!!

It would have to be the slowest rider in the world for that to happen.

It would have to be the slowest rider in the world for that to happen.

You are categorically wrong! Sorry to be blunt. What's your experience??

Last edited:
I am with swannymere on this one. No way my E36 would live with the performance of a modern superbike.

You need to learn to drive it!!!

The only areas where the Cabriolet can't match a Streetfighter is top speed and re accelerating back up to speed AFTER a corner. Breaking from speed into a corner, there is no match and neither is there when cornering.

You may think you know better but until you go and do it, it's just a gut feeling.

A car cannot overtake in traffic safely either like any bike can, but that's about it.

Go find a road and a Streetfighter and follow them around a corner at speed, you will soon see just how twitchy they are, and how early they need to brake because their corner speed is no match for a car driven properly.

Don't let anybody tell you these cars are nothing but a hairdressers cruiser, because they are not.

Last edited:
not trying to pick a fight, but pleeeeze, the street fighter is an old mans cruiser, 99.9% will be brought by old men, for the looks alone and ridden badly.

true that most sports orientated cars can brake later and corner faster with average rider vs average driver, but propper sports bike, with propper rider, would obliterate almost all cars out there, bar atom v8's, skylines ect, and the bike would still be 1 million times faster in the gears

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5g5J4mq8nE

[TUBE]Z5g5J4mq8nE[/TUBE]

Last edited:
Thanks Nick.

Straight lining there is no question. But on roads like this, it's a different story. The cabbie can carry more speed through the corners to the point where the extra speed compensates for the lack of acceleration out of the corner. Very surprising, and not only for me.

Awakino Gorge - YouTube

(These guys are just out for a Sunday cruise)

There was only a 1/4" chicken strip on each side at the end of the day!! We had a lot of fun, but it is not something I would do too often. And the rider was not too average, but certainly not a professional.

I'm going to ask around to see if anyone has a GSX R now. Might just do it one more time before the new tyres go on.......

That Lambo backed off by the way so, it's not a fair representation of what they are trying to demonstrate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom