E39 540i

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Check inside the fuel filler bowl and leading edge of the bonnet for rust.

My E39 Touring was absolutely bombproof. The only real corrosion I noticed was where paint had been chipped in a couple of places. Oh, and the rear wiper assembly completely corroded within itself for some bizarre reason, but it was reasonably easily fixed. Despite the high risk of cracking the expensive rear screen which I "Disclaimed" the garage of liability for before they started!

Whats the ride quality like compared with the 230 adam?

Hi,
Nice car Adam,
I always had BMW's, numerous 635's & M535's, manuals and autos, in my youth, was always impressed by there build quality and the way they drove, then I found MB's.
Did,nt some BMW V8's suffer from faults with their Nikisil bore linings? Though I believe this was the very early ones, as they soon remedied it.

Nice car, proper exec that wont fall apart from "perforation,corrosion or whatever MB call it nowadays".

I test drove an E39 540i Touring before I bought my W210 - it scared me to be honest. The E320CDi is much more controlled

Whats the ride quality like compared with the 230 adam?

This is a 540 sport, so it has the MTech suspension and its lower and more tighter than my friends 525. And even on 17's its ride quality is leagues ahead of the w202 i had.

Hi,
Nice car Adam,
I always had BMW's, numerous 635's & M535's, manuals and autos, in my youth, was always impressed by there build quality and the way they drove, then I found MB's.
Did,nt some BMW V8's suffer from faults with their Nikisil bore linings? Though I believe this was the very early ones, as they soon remedied it.

Yes the Nikasil issue affected upto the E34, 6cyl and V8's.

I test drove an E39 540i Touring before I bought my W210 - it scared me to be honest. The E320CDi is much more controlled

It still scares me til now, but with traction control on its very civil and very controlled, not skittish in anyway.

Very nice Adam.
I drive an E39 528i now and then, and I'm always impressed by the ride and comfort.

Enjoy!

Nice choice. I looked into 540i Sport's before I got the S4. It seemed they were more rare than M5's, which were just a tad pricey for what I wanted to spend at the time.

I had an E39 528i SE a few years ago, it was a 97 model. Was the most solid built car I've ever had and didn't feel like it was planning its next breakdown like my CLK does.
It was also very easy to work on as it was the straight 6 model, so has lots of space under the bonnet of a 5 series. The electrics were not over complex either like today and cheaper parts.
Only small gripe for me was the SE was too softly sprung and too barge like for me. Would go for an E46 again but too common.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom