E400 engine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Monkeylegend

MB Enthusiast
Car
2015 F10 528i BMW, 2013 Citroen C3 Picasso,
What is the Mercedes engine number designation for the twin turbo 3 litre petrol in the E400 please?

M276 was actually a 3.5 litre BTW.

It is strange that when they added the turbos and made it 3 litre they still called it the M276.

That's what was confusing me, I didn't realise they did both a 3 and 3.5 litre.

Anyway having read of the issues with them, which I thought I had heard about previously, that's another car knocked on the head.

If only Mercedes made a decent petrol engine as reliable as their diesel engines :(

That's what was confusing me, I didn't realise they did both a 3 and 3.5 litre.

Anyway having read of the issues with them, which I thought I had heard about previously, that's another car knocked on the head.

If only Mercedes made a decent petrol engine as reliable as their diesel engines :(

What is the issues with them? I have been recently drawn to the CLS 400, but I have also read it is a different engine to that fitted to a E400 :dk:

I ran an M276 up to 112k miles with no issues at all.

Well, the NOX sensor is too sensitive and doesn't like supermarket fuel, but on 98 ron it was superb and never caused any issues.

I should add, it only turned the CEL on, nothing more.

Mercedes say it is all sorts though and want to replace loads, but they are wrong.

It's a bit weird how the M276 designation is getting stretched. It's not just the E400 engines that's a M276 but also the E43's too. Although since the issues with the early M276 3.5 I haven't seen any further issues with this engine. I think that if you are buying a E400 then this "Anyway having read of the issues with them, which I thought I had heard about previously, that's another car knocked on the head." doesn't apply

I was aware of timing chain and valve issues with the 3 litre engine in the pre 2014 E400s but was confused when a bit of googling talked about a twin turbo 3.5L as well.

This is not the same balancer shaft issue which affected the earlier 3.5 petrol engines as far as I am aware.

I was specifically interested in the E400 hence the initial post.

I was aware of timing chain and valve issues with the 3 litre engine in the pre 2014 E400s but was confused when a bit of googling talked about a twin turbo 3.5L as well.

This is not the same balancer shaft issue which affected the earlier 3.5 petrol engines as far as I am aware.

I was specifically interested in the E400 hence the initial post.

Because the M276 engine is a 60 degree V6 as opposed to the earlier 90 degree V6 M 272 design a balancer shaft is not required.
The Complete M276 Engine thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom