E400d All-Terrain Camtronic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

db1001

Car
Mercedes-Benz E 400 d All-Terrain
I have just picked up an E400d All-Terrain and apparently it has Camtronic. The brochure says this:

CAMTRONIC - 4 cylinder shut-off for reduced fuel consumption
In combination with AMG DYNAMIC SELECT Comfort mode, 4 cylinders are automatically shut off between 900–3,250rpm. When active a symbol is shown in the cockpit display. The system becomes automatically disabled above 3,250rpm or if spontaneous high performance is required.

I drove it around 200 miles - some in Comfort and some in Eco mode. I did not notice any symbol in the cockpit display - but I do not know what the symbol looks like.

Do I have to enable this somehow or is it possible my E400d does not have this feature? I am not sure which model year it is - the spec list says Model Year 809.

Just a thought, I think that this works in conjunction with the eco stop/start and the stop/start indicator has to be green (as opposed to amber) for it to be active.
as you have just picked it up it could be a couple of days before all the conditions are met for it to come into play.

Shutting off 4 cylinders leaves 2 running ... seems odd to me

The brochure says that both the E63S and the E400d All-Terrain have the 4 valve shut-off feature. I have seen articles about the 8 cylinder engine having this feature but nothing about the 6 cylinder E400d. I wonder if the brochure is just wrong - if it is then it has been like that for a while - I have seen two different versions of the brochure that say the same thing.

I think this might be some form of the sailing function that I have on my C43. It's also known as 'Coasting' or 'Gliding' mode.

I thought sailing or coasting shut down the engine completely

Wasn't aware MB did this, and I can't recall hearing of Camtronic before.

I've experienced it on a V8 in the US - seemed to make a quite a big difference to MPG, and a V4 light popped up on the dash when it was in that mode. VW (and other VAG brands) has it on some 1.4 and 1.5 4cyl petrol engines here - it's called ACT, Advanced Cylinder Technology - but reports I've read say it doesn't make much difference.

I thought sailing or coasting shut down the engine completely

I thought it just disengaged the drive train (as in dipping a clutch) but with back up systems on newer cars maybe shutting down is part of it too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom