e400d opinions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I went for a 19" car as I've read the 20" can spoil the ride, the all-terrain has air suspension as standard though so I expect it'll ride better than mine on steel springs.

Might be worth checking if it's got winter tyres on it, you'll find plenty of info about 4matic skipping with summer tyres fitted, especially on larger wheels.

I think the 19's look better than the 20's on that model. its got summer tyres fitted. which I think will be fine for my use.

I'd love to see this car one day and geek out over it. Perhaps you might consider starting a thread on your ownership?

I will do.

Its off to Mercedes for a service tomorrow, possibly collect it Friday.

Whats the motorway MPG like on these? 40mpg at 75mph? or low 30's?

Congrats, grabbed yourself a great deal there! Looking forward to plenty of pictures.

I think they did sell it between my emailed offer and when they checked I had paid the deposit, there was too much of a delay, they'd had lots of interest, 4 calls Monday AM while discussing collection etc.

I will do.

Its off to Mercedes for a service tomorrow, possibly collect it Friday.

Whats the motorway MPG like on these? 40mpg at 75mph? or low 30's?
That won't be cheap...

Over the last 5600 miles mines averaged 39.2 mpg

75mph you'll get 40mpg easy. I got 39mpg coming back from Inverness to Bournemouth at an average speed of 70mph 🤐😂

That won't be cheap...

Over the last 5600 miles mines averaged 39.2 mpg

75mph you'll get 40mpg easy. I got 39mpg coming back from Inverness to Bournemouth at an average speed of 70mph 🤐😂
I'm not paying for that so quite happy!! I do wonder what the going rate is though?

I wonder if it'll be better/worse than my 640d.

I'm not paying for that so quite happy!! I do wonder what the going rate is though?

I wonder if it'll be better/worse than my 640d.
I've seen LARGE numbers on the forums compared to my previous BMW and the wife's Audi, went for a 4 year service pack whilst Mercedes had 20% off for upfront payments.

I think the extra ratio will help you edge the 640D, is that rwd or Xdrive?

I've seen LARGE numbers on the forums compared to my previous BMW and the wife's Audi, went for a 4 year service pack whilst Mercedes had 20% off for upfront payments.

I think the extra ratio will help you edge the 640D, is that rwd or Xdrive?

640d is rear wheel drive.

I was suppose to collect today.............. however I've lost my bloody V5 for my 640d.

so next week.

So as a way of an update.

Picked the car up yesterday, I've done about 450miles in it.

Headlines are, its averaged about 46.5mpg.

Engine is totally amazing. Smoother, stronger and more willing from next to zero rpm compared the the 640d.

Gearbox is smoother, also.

Ride quality is great, feels like 2017 s class I tried.

Interior quality....... its great, just not quite as special as the 6 series, however its much better than the brand new 5 series I looked at. Seats are great though and driving position is great. Stereo is better than the 6 series, pan roof is nice.

Basically, there's nothing 'special' about it, however as a tool, its perfect. Its very very very quick, the engine feels like its electric, drivetrain in the pissing rain and country roads allows for some serious pace, in a very unserious car. also about 15% better on fuel than the 6 series.

I think 330bhp and 700nm of torque is the sweet spot for a family estate.

So as a way of an update.

Picked the car up yesterday, I've done about 450miles in it.

Headlines are, its averaged about 46.5mpg.

Engine is totally amazing. Smoother, stronger and more willing from next to zero rpm compared the the 640d.

Gearbox is smoother, also.

Ride quality is great, feels like 2017 s class I tried.

Interior quality....... its great, just not quite as special as the 6 series, however its much better than the brand new 5 series I looked at. Seats are great though and driving position is great. Stereo is better than the 6 series, pan roof is nice.

Basically, there's nothing 'special' about it, however as a tool, its perfect. Its very very very quick, the engine feels like its electric, drivetrain in the pissing rain and country roads allows for some serious pace, in a very unserious car. also about 15% better on fuel than the 6 series.

I think 330bhp and 700nm of torque is the sweet spot for a family estate.
Sounds like you're getting on well with her!

I'd be very interested to hear how you get on with the DPF, mine went into regen bang on 300 miles again today.

Sounds like you're getting on well with her!

I'd be very interested to hear how you get on with the DPF, mine went into regen bang on 300 miles again today.

I think It did it on the motorway about 1 hour after getting it, however I'm quite happy with that, given its use, if it does it once or twice per tank, but keeps the car happy, I can cope. might have cost me 1-3mpg off the average on that part of the trip, that's still about 20mpg better than the e53 that makes less torque :)

Just a quick one on the dpf regen - am I right in thinking that the engine sounds absolutely stunning whilst in that mode?
Or does the engine open up a bit after 10k miles? Reason I ask is that mine ran over 10k this week and I have suddenly found myself really noticing the engine note much more. On one journey in particular this week, it was incredibly throaty under load, (in comfort mode), which really encourages you to play some more - thus further impacting the economy. But, so, so worth it!
Still besotted with it after 6k miles and 4 months!

Just a quick one on the dpf regen - am I right in thinking that the engine sounds absolutely stunning whilst in that mode?
Or does the engine open up a bit after 10k miles? Reason I ask is that mine ran over 10k this week and I have suddenly found myself really noticing the engine note much more. On one journey in particular this week, it was incredibly throaty under load, (in comfort mode), which really encourages you to play some more - thus further impacting the economy. But, so, so worth it!
Still besotted with it after 6k miles and 4 months!
If I give mine the Italian tune up treatment during regen it sounds like added induction roar, definitely a different note.

I think the 19's look better than the 20's on that model. its got summer tyres fitted. which I think will be fine for my use.
Hi , I was lent a 400d when my car was in for a service.I drove it for 100 miles on motorway , A and B roads.The car it's self was really good but I did not like the dashboard ( just my view ) .

He is the stupid part , 4x4 car with little or no feeling through the steering wheel.

Would I buy the car I was lent , no , only reason I would not is my next car will be an estate.

Hi , I was lent a 400d when my car was in for a service.I drove it for 100 miles on motorway , A and B roads.The car it's self was really good but I did not like the dashboard ( just my view ) .

He is the stupid part , 4x4 car with little or no feeling through the steering wheel.

Would I buy the car I was lent , no , only reason I would not is my next car will be an estate.

erm, you can get an e400d estate, that's what I've got.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom