E43 stop start

Discussion in 'AMG Lounge' started by StuW213, Jun 4, 2018.

1. StuW213

StuW213 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    AMG E43
    Hi,
    I have an E43 w213 (Jan 17) which I bought second hand 1 year old. Does anyone know whether stop start should work on a regular basis? I did two really long over two hour journeys at the weekend. In the middle of the second journey there was a twenty minute queue and the stop start didn't operate even when I switched the ac off. At the end of the trip it started working but one short journey later and it doesn't again. Just been given a loaner c class whilst mine is in again for other issues and the stop start on that works all the time.
    I know stop start can be annoying but I don't want to ignore it if there could be an underlying issue. Or maybe other e43s are the same?
    Thanks

2. Bluegnomes

Bluegnomes Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes S212 E350
    Hi. My E43 is pretty similar to my other cars with stop/start (apart from the nice feature on the S213 which "remembers" for 4 hrs without use that you deactivated stop/start) and it works even after fairly short journeys unless it hasn't been used for a while or unless you are using lots of electrical devices. It is very quiet when it stop starts! Sounds like you might need a few more trips to fully charge the battery.

3. OP
    OP
    StuW213

Car:
    AMG E43
    Thanks. I've had it just over three months now and in that time it's probably only kicked in 4 or 5 times. This has only been after journeys of over 100 miles and it has stopped working after just one short trip after that. I always have the a/c and the radio on but that's all (and the two screens of course).

4. guhvies

guhvies Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2017 C43 AMG Saloon
    If you're using it in ECO or Comfort mode all the time, stop start should work all the time. Try a drive with air con off and see what happens. Make sure when you come to a stop, you're using the hold function. I mash down on the brake with my left foot. If that doesn't work a trip to the service department may be needed.

5. Bluegnomes

Bluegnomes Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes S212 E350
    It certainly sounds like your car StuW213 is not using stop/start as often as I would expect. If I've been using mine fairly frequently then it switches off when I stop at the first set of lights about a mile away. Maybe you need to get the battery checked?

6. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
    There's a long list of things that affect Stop/Start.... firstly the car will need to go on STAR to see if any component is reporting a fault - you will be surprised as to how many things can affect the Stop/Start functionality.

(In my case it was a faulty Brake Servo Vacuum Sensor - go figure)

7. ioweddie

ioweddie Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    AMG Line Premier Plus Estate C220d
    S2000Paul likes this.
  8. S2000Paul

S2000Paul Active Member

Car:
    E63 AMG
    Got one for my S2000

Brilliant device, remains on until I use the car.

Check offers on AMAZON.. sometimes take out a card and you get £20, got mine for £50 in the end!

9. OP
    OP
    StuW213

Car:
    AMG E43
    Thanks for the replies. It's back with the mercedes dealership again and they have tested the batteries multiple times and said it/ they test ok. This time they've given me a loan c- class and the stop start is functioning all the time with that and my usual journeys and driving so I definitely think there's something wrong. They said there's a lot more going on with the e43 so they think it's normal as it works after a full charge. As it's well within warranty I'm loathed to buy a charger as it should charge itself.

10. OP
    OP
    StuW213

Car:
    AMG E43
    Found the consumption/ charging display in the trip computer on the rhs screen and it is quite a bit harder to get it to go into the green charging zone. You have to accelerate quickly or above 30 mph then allow the engine to slow you down. And charging seems to stop below 20mph or when you touch the brake generally. The meter in the c class was always in the charge zone as soon as you took your foot off the gas.
    So, don't you have to mess around disconnecting the battery and hooking that up? My car lives outside so I would need an extension lead. Seems like something I shouldn't have to do with a nearly new car. Thanks

11. ioweddie

ioweddie Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    AMG Line Premier Plus Estate C220d
    Aston Martin and Porsche supply a battery conditioner/charger as standard and recommend occasional top up to keep the batteries in tip top condition

12. OP
    OP
    StuW213

Car:
    AMG E43
    Thanks well I'm coming round to the idea. Having opened the bonnet(for the first time) I was hoping to see a battery with two terminals. Instead there's a red square with a plus symbol and arrows which if you move it has a bit of metal underneath. Perhaps the manual will enlighten me if I can get through all the health and safety stuff. Don't want to buy a charger before knowing how to use it!

13. OP
    OP
    StuW213

Car:
    AMG E43
    Ok so I've ordered one thanks for the recommendation. How long is the plug? Need to know whether I need an outside extension lead. Thanks

14. Smart320

Smart320 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2011 ML350cdi Sport , Toyota RAV4 3 dr
    Plug cord and connectors only short, you will need an extension unless the car is parked with the battery very close to to mains plug. Best to attach the permanent connectors to the battery, the other end has a plug into which the CTEK can be connected. Saves having to access the battery when you want to connect it up. Have this on my ML and my wife's RAV4, makes life easy

15. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
    Just to add that Stop/Start functionality will not be available also in the event that the auxiliary battery is weak (i.e. even ig the main battery is fine).

The logic is that without the auxiliary battery the car can't support the electric consumers when the engine is switched-off and still conserve sufficient battery power for the starter motor at the same time.

Now I don't know of the auxilery battery is isolated when the ignition is turned-off, i.e. I don't know if it will get charged by the trickle charge connected to the main battery.

But either way you need to make sure that both the main battery AND the auxiliary battery are trickle-charged overnight if you want this test to be conclusive.

16. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Yes, this the official location for connecting to the main battery positive terminal. Use this and you will be fine. The negative wire should ideally go to the (unpainted!) bolt or nut at the top of the front strut, or other large piece of exposed metal in the engine bay (dry and clean of any oil, fuel, or grease deposits).

17. OP
    OP
    StuW213

Car:
    AMG E43
    Thanks, yeah I didn't really achieve conclusive! Gave it a charge but stopped it early as it went into a recon mode which is higher than the recommended voltage. After charging(I'm sure it was only the main battery that charged because afterwards mercedes me still had the starter battery as partly charged) the start stop worked during a ten or fifteen minute journey. Three further sort journeys after that have all had the amber symbol with the line through it when I've stopped, despite me trying to get the charge meter to go green as much as possible. I will give the charger one more go to see if i can get the battery to 100% and try again but something seems wrong to me.

18. S2000Paul

S2000Paul Active Member

Car:
    E63 AMG
    If using the CTEK 5.0 you can leave it on for days, weeks and it will massage the battery to best condition possibly...

19. OP
    OP
    StuW213

Car:
    AMG E43
    Well I've now done a full charge using the ctek. After charging, the starter battery reported as charged in mercedes me. I did a short journey and the start stop worked. Next short journey, nothing. Pretty sure that's not normal. Problem I guess could be the batteries(which one?) or the alternator or something draining? More evidence to insist on mb dartford replacing the batteries especially now that I'm out of pocket with the ctek:(

20. OP
    OP
    StuW213

Car:
    AMG E43
    Will my E43 have am AGM battery in it? Should it? How do I check what's in there?