E43 stop start

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I would consider taking the vehicle to a different MB retailer. You should not have try to do the work for them in determining where the problem is! Im sure this all whole experience has detracted from being able to enjoy the 43!

1. As far as I know all Stop/Start main batteries are AGM.

2. As previously said, keep in mind that the battery that needs replacing might actually be the auxiliary batteey, i.e. not necessarily the main battery.

Hi,
I have an E43 w213 (Jan 17) which I bought second hand 1 year old. Does anyone know whether stop start should work on a regular basis? I did two really long over two hour journeys at the weekend. In the middle of the second journey there was a twenty minute queue and the stop start didn't operate even when I switched the ac off. At the end of the trip it started working but one short journey later and it doesn't again. Just been given a loaner c class whilst mine is in again for other issues and the stop start on that works all the time.
I know stop start can be annoying but I don't want to ignore it if there could be an underlying issue. Or maybe other e43s are the same?
Thanks

Do a search for my Mercedes Me problems,you appear to be going through the same Battery Discharging as I was:confused:

Can you make a video of the start stop for a few minutes. Also, can you show me your screen on the dashboard under trip which shows if you drove economically etc with the charge icon bar at the bottom?

I wonder if its the driving style as my wife can never get the start/stop to work in her car (c200) and I can!

Rocky

Video would be very boring. Stop the car, orange symbol comes up with an A and a line through it. Repeat.

After fully charging the battery stop start works for one short journey. Then not again. I have already tried maximising the engine braking hence getting loads of green during both the initial and subsequent trips to no avail. My usual driving style was fine for my old car and for the loaner c class I was given.

Ps I did think this initially particularly when I noticed it was quite difficult to get the green charge section to light up compared to the c class but I think either the engine isn't charging it properly or the battery isn't holding it.

1. As far as I know all Stop/Start main batteries are AGM.

2. As previously said, keep in mind that the battery that needs replacing might actually be the auxiliary batteey, i.e. not necessarily the main battery.
From my searches so far the AGM ones are for large engines where there is a lot of energy required and there are non AGM options even then. Also the charging with the ctek is a different option and a higher voltage than the e class manual recommends. Thanks

I would consider taking the vehicle to a different MB retailer. You should not have try to do the work for them in determining where the problem is! Im sure this all whole experience has detracted from being able to enjoy the 43!
Thanks yeah I'm sticking with them only because I bought it from them and so if there were something not covered by warranty it would still be covered as an issue in the first six months.

Do a search for my Mercedes Me problems,you appear to be going through the same Battery Discharging as I was:confused:
I'm sure I've read yours then. I did initially have battery being drained by a fault so I assume there's no more. It doesn't seem to drain when not being used any more. Mercedes me only says charged after a very long journey or full(non agm) charge with the ctek and then one short journey later says partly charged.

From my searches so far the AGM ones are for large engines where there is a lot of energy required and there are non AGM options even then. Also the charging with the ctek is a different option and a higher voltage than the e class manual recommends. Thanks
My 2013 C-Class W204 has a 1.6L engine and an AGM battery.

Again, my understanding is that AGM batteries are used in cars equipped with Stop/Start technology, in order to support the frequent engine starts.

In wondering if mine even has the correct battery but pulling at straws realty. Thanks

I'm sure I've read yours then. I did initially have battery being drained by a fault so I assume there's no more. It doesn't seem to drain when not being used any more. Mercedes me only says charged after a very long journey or full(non agm) charge with the ctek and then one short journey later says partly charged.

To me that proves that your MAG is using part or all of the Alternator charge to run the Car for part of the time!

Proof, I would love proof of something, anything! I read(only in someone's post so...) that the alternator charges the first 80% and the last 20% is through engine braking.... so i was thinking that mine isn't recovering anything or much through engine braking(which is what the charge metre shows in the trip consumption screen). I'd love to see the parameters for start stop and which one is preventing it but I imagine it's the battery charge level that is immediately dropping off. A low capacity non AGM battery could cause this I think although turnover on the starter never sounds slow.

I am not sure if it is technically possible tp install the 'wrong battert' on modern cars.

Everything is electronic these days and there's a battery managemnet ECU controlling the battery charge cycle, so I would image the ECU would flag-up all sort of errors if the wrong battery type was fitted to the car.

It wouldn't be able to interrogate the make or capacity of the battery, just whether charged or not. When I look up batteries for the e43 there are a variety available. As mine is an early build I'm imagining that they may have changed their minds afterwards...

It wouldn't be able to interrogate the make or capacity of the battery, just whether charged or not. When I look up batteries for the e43 there are a variety available. As mine is an early build I'm imagining that they may have changed their minds afterwards...

It may not be designed to do this in this particular instance, but any item can have an ID on a chip that can be interrogated by an ECU (e.g. laptop batteries, inkjet and toner cartridges, etc). Said that, you may very well be right and this may not have been implemented by MB for the battery (yet...)

As far as I'm aware car batteries still just have the terminals on them, no data connections capable of giving the car information on type etc.. I agree it would make sense of they were smart like everything else these days.

Recently had this issue on my C250 (S205) which is 3.5 years old with 22k miles. First car with stop/start so assumed that this function not working during cold winters was normal (short local journeys, everything on etc).

After my second winter with the car, the stop/start rarely came on, even with the warmer weather and a couple of longer runs, so when it went in for the steering column earthing recall, asked them to check stop/start. They said that the stop/start battery had failed the test and needed replacing.

Now I knew from other forum posts that on the W205/S205 the "starter battery" is apparently some sort of solid state battery-cum-capacitor-cum-flux capacitor type thingy, located under the front passenger foot-well (happy to be corrected if I've got that wrong).:) So after a bit of a discussion about whether this was covered under my MB Tier 1 extended warranty (it was), this was replaced and the magic green light pops on all the time now.

Hi, yes I think you're right, the most likely thing is a problem with one of the batteries. I thought that the auxiliary battery was just for keeping the electronics stable when the main starter battery was starting the engine. Mercedes me reports the battery status of the starter battery and when I charge using the charge points and a ctek charger it says charged for one short journey. Problem is the dealer seem incapable of even admitting there's an issue.

Why don't leave all the work to MB dealer? Car is under warranty, let them work for the money you paid already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom