E500 - Back from France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
... was doing a count here and on Pistonheads/Autotrader and reckons he got to 13 in two years IIRC.

Deffo not a lot around.

Here's the original thread about it, post 33 has the most accurate count that I could manage (there are lots of caveats to the data).https://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/general-discussion/218739-e500-owners-3.html

Also from post 22:

"Since howmanyleft tells me that 154 W212/S212/C207 were sold (see earlier post), my guess then is there were about 130 coupes, 10-20 saloons and 10 or less estates"

I still watch out for W212 and S212 E500 on Autotrader and elsewhere and am now up to 7 saloon and 5 estate.

Here's the original thread about it, post 33 has the most accurate count that I could manage (there are lots of caveats to the data).https://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/general-discussion/218739-e500-owners-3.html

Also from post 22:

"Since howmanyleft tells me that 154 W212/S212/C207 were sold (see earlier post), my guess then is there were about 130 coupes, 10-20 saloons and 10 or less estates"

I still watch out for W212 and S212 E500 on Autotrader and elsewhere and am now up to 7 saloon and 5 estate.

Sounds reasonable.

Anecdotally I've seen a fair number of pre-facelift 211's over the years. And quite a few 55K's and 63's. As these are in the mid 100's to low thousands than makes sense.

I saw far fewer C43's over the years. There were only ever 300-odd saloons and 150-odd estates so many months would go by without my seeing another.

I've only ever seen 2 or 3 facelift 211 E500's though (not sure if I saw 2 black ones or just the same one in 2 locations).

And only one 212 coupe (a couple of years ago - it burbled past my as i was cycling and the unusual noise made me look up). And one S212 (mine).

Thanks for the analysis.

Fancy a 2010 E500 for less than £10k?

One popped up on Autotrader only this morning. Here's the link:

Mercedes-Benz E Class

Love the twin screens for the rear facing seats ! Bet those were specified by someone who doesn't actually have very small children.

The only, very minor issue: it's not facelift, or even RHD / UK spec. It's a 2004 LHD car pretending to be a 2010 car and asking £9800 for a 96k mile car.

I wonder where it's from?

The small number plate space on the rear tailgate makes it look like an ex-US car rather than ex-Europe.

It also claims to have a 'Eurocharged 350hp tune'. Would that kind of increase even be possible? I understood that tuning a N/A engine can only result in minimal gains.

If in the market I'd far rather buy yours, Mike!

It also claims to have a 'Eurocharged 350hp tune'. Would that kind of increase even be possible?

According to the Eurocharged website "The manufacturers rating for this engine is 302HP and 339LB-FT of torque. The Eurocharged rating for the ECU upgrade is 339HP and 362LB-FT of torque."

So not far off, actually. Well, the claims aren't, anyway.

Wow, so the old M113 engine was quite tuneable! The newer M273 seems to see only modest gains from a re-map, according to tuners' websites.

Wow, so the old M113 engine was quite tuneable! The newer M273 seems to see only modest gains from a re-map, according to tuners' websites.

Dunno really - other places suggest only getting another 20bhp or so.

I remember looking into it back in the day and concluding it was so marginal it wasn't worth it.

Do they really need any more power? I don't think it is in keeping with the q-character of the car. An E55/63 is what you need if you want more performance.

Do they really need any more power? I don't think it is in keeping with the q-character of the car. An E55/63 is what you need if you want more performance.

I concluded that none of mine warranted it.

Unlike the S14's I had previously. But they were very different machines. And I was in my early 30's........

Do they really need any more power? I don't think it is in keeping with the q-character of the car.

I concluded that none of mine warranted it.

I tend to agree, but I did look into it - 'just out of interest'.

"More Power !"

drill.JPG

"More power! " to quote Tim of "Tool Time..." Not convinced of the straight-line need, TBH, given the existence of the E55 or the 5.5litre E500. The manufacturers spend so much time balancing handling, braking and power, and then some idjit goes and sticks on another 10% - which benefits the straight-line but compromises the twisties.

By the way, how are you new E500 owners finding the sound? The one thing I do wish mine had is a little more exhaust noise. Nothing too loud, only S omething in keeping with the subtle look, but I would like a little V8 burble. I've done various research and have had some advice on here in previous posts, but am still stumped as to what / whether to do anything.

From YouTube videos it does sound like the W211/S211 E500 did sound a little better than the 212 model does: the exhaust system in the 212 seems more restrictive, more akin to the S500. If I can get confident that a particular modification will sound right, I still may give it a go.

...and then some idjit goes and sticks on another 10%...

Or indeed 30%, which seems now to be possible with the newer twin-turbo engines. In the US the M278 4.7TT gets tuned to well over 500hp and over here there are plenty of people with the AMG 5.5TT who are at 700hp+. I can't imagine it does the transmission much good in the long term.

Burble burble....stainless steel exhaust on V8 5 litre

!BRQrNs!B2k~$(KGrHgoH-E!EjlLlyKFGBJ9JdM87NQ~~_3.JPG

A friend has a W215 CL500 with a stainless steel exhaust which adds a nice AMG style burble to "our" 5 litre V8. It's impressive as it pulls away and adds a nice signature as he turns up anywhere.

It's a curious business, we both like the burble of the stainless steel exhaust but, just to be contrary, we both hanker for the even quieter V12 - either on the S600 or the CL600.

By the way, how are you new E500 owners finding the sound? The one thing I do wish mine had is a little more exhaust noise. Nothing too loud, only S omething in keeping with the subtle look, but I would like a little V8 burble. I've done various research and have had some advice on here in previous posts, but am still stumped as to what / whether to do anything.

From YouTube videos it does sound like the W211/S211 E500 did sound a little better than the 212 model does: the exhaust system in the 212 seems more restrictive, more akin to the S500. If I can get confident that a particular modification will sound right, I still may give it a go.

My C43's and E500's have all sounded quiet from the inside.

From the outside the C43's were marginally the loudest followed by the 212 with the 211 quietest of all.

I find the 211 quieter than I expected but quite like it that way. I think I must be getting old!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom